Suikoden Utopian and Irenic Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Sars' Current Impressions (spoiler-free)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Sars' Current Impressions (spoiler-free) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been playing Suikoden 5 for about 20 hours, and I think I have a pretty good grasp of this game, enough to give an intial impression.

Well, I think I can safely say that Suikoden V is indeed Suikoden.

The plot is superb. It's not only the complexity that is superb, but I was surprised by the plot more than once. Thankfully I didn't spoil myself at all with advanced spoilers, which made the experience that much sweeter. I strongly recommend people to avoid spoiler info unless you have played the game.

What I like about the plot is that you are given a good explanation on things, and you get a clear reason of why you are doing what you are doing (unlike certain parts in Suikoden 4). The plot is also rife with strategy and politics, involving multiple nations, factions, groups, and characters; yet, the story manages to retain coherence. You're also given the opportunity to roam around to do extraneous stuff if you don't want to simply follow the plotline.

The characters are absolutely stellar. Suikoden 4 (for me) had characters with good design and feel, but were not utilized to their full potential. Suikoden V takes a few steps further and takes a lot of time to develop the characters rather deeply. This results in a pretty powerful feeling of emotional release when the characters are involved in certain events (of course, this might just be me). You'll also meet some returning characters, some of them have been quite unexpected. Again, I was very glad I didn't spoil myself because I was thinking in my head, "OMG, this is so cool!"

As for the game mechanics, I've heard a lot of comments about load time, and indeed it can get a bit tiresome. However, this is still a minor problem. Otherwise, the battles are done very well, and formations have a pretty important impact on how well you do. I've done a fair amount of fighting for the sake of it, but you'd need to use the right strategy for the party you have; otherwise, you'll have difficulty fighting normal battles. I'd say that the battles in Suikoden V is a bit difficult compared to previous installations.

The duel is very good. The simple time limit makes the duel pretty difficult. They also seem to have created different battle actions for your main character for each different duel; this makes each duel rather exciting.

The conventional war battle is really fun. I have no complains whatsoever about it. The fact that the enemy continues to move makes it somewhat challenging, but even if you are defeated, you can restart from the beginning of the same battle. Although there are some basic unit types, there are many other types of units as well (I've only seen a few).

The sea battles are also fun, and is a lot more strategic compared to Suikoden 4. Also, because you can actually make more money based on how well you do, there's actually a reason to reduce your own casualties (this is also true with conventional war battles).

Of course, in both war battles, there's plenty of dialogue and plot, much like Suikoden 2. Your strategists and generals will play important roles, and oh yes, it feels like suikoden.

As far as the controls go, one problem I have is that it is sometimes hard to talk to townsfolk. Even if I am pushing the correct button to speak with people, they sometimes don't respond. As a result, I have to press the button more than once (unforgivable! :P). The perpetually "quarter-view" perspective also makes it hard to navigate yourself, especially in towns with tall buildings. However, all of these are still minor issues that don't really distract you from the excellence of the plot.

Personally, I am relieved that Suikoden V seems to be a solidly good game. It does have the "suikoden feel" folks.

And one last thing I want to repeat: Don't spoil yourself!
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, I'm so happy. A good plot again... Suikoden IV's was just so bland. And you say there are "unexpected" returning characters? Interesting... Thankfully, I too have tried to avoid spoilers. And the timed duels sound interesting. Duels in the other games have been far too easy.
Taleria

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for that, SARS. Ah, what little doubts I had are now at ease.
Ishmael

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey SARS -

Have any of the "unexpected" returning characters NOT been listed anywhere yet? So far I've heard about the ones we knew about before the game came out and 2 "unexpected" characters, so I just want to know if there are any others that I should avoid spoiling myself from finding out about.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't know, because I havn't seen any list. As I said, I have been avoiding spoilers completely. If you've seen any type of list, you've likely spoiled yourself.
Ishmael

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm... alright.

This may be a bit of a stretch, but is the cooking game back? :-D
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nope, no cooking game. That is 100% a fact. No cooking game. I'm just saying this to make sure no rumors spread. There's no cooking mini-game!
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, that's too bad, it really is, well can you tell us, if not what mini-games there are, how many you've seen/played so far?

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am glad you waited to play the game for a good 20 hrs before even giving an opinion. I hate when people play the game for 3 hrs and say this game sucks, as it usually takes an rpg 4-5 hrs to even start up the plot.

Sounds really good. Hopefully I can avoid spoilers.
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ahhh... This is exactly what i need... Rejoice... With such a review, i am very very relieved. And i'd say, i've never been looking more forward to a game than this....

Truely, thank you Konami... Thank you SARSadmin for the excellent review to confirm that it's indeed excellent...

Ooooh yeah... Come to me Suikoden 5...
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sars' Current Impressions (spoiler-free) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars wrote:
Well, I think I can safely say that Suikoden V is indeed Suikoden.

Sars wrote:
Personally, I am relieved that Suikoden V seems to be a solidly good game. It does have the "suikoden feel" folks.

Those were the big ones! I remember when SUikoden 4 came out there was talk that it didn't feel like a Suikoden. That sounds awesome, thanks for the early preview. Any plan of doing a review once you've beaten it? Looking forward to it.

Your subtle hints of the unexpected in the game definitely has me interested. I think I will have to avoid this forum for a month or so.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I expected no less from Skies of Arcadia's scenario writer. Bringing out the characters and their culture/land . . . that's vintage Kazuyoshi Tsugawa writing at work. I actually expected more out of him from this game than Arcadia since he has a lot to work with, being Suikoden and all. I had faith, but I'm glad to hear confirmation that the series hasn't been besmirched once more. Hey Konami, give that man a permanent job! King too!

I've seen non-spoiler videos; loading time is no problem for me whatsoever. And as for a big map, that's a good thing. Also, there's no such thing as too much dialogue in an RPG.

All my fears are put to rest. It's been 7 years since I've felt the real Suikoden vibe in a game, so I'm looking forward to this. *March 28, that's going to take forever now*

Oh and SARS, if you get to the ending, be sure to tell us if it was good or not.

Last edited by Cedric on Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Holy Paladin

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I knew I'd take until the weekend before we heard any game impressions from you, but I didn't expect that they would only be early game impressions. I'm glad to hear that your liking the game so far, but I wish you had given us some more info on the story. I don't mind spoilers although there has been the rare occasion were I wish I hadn't spoiled the storyline for myself.
Rai-Jin

1416 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

does this feel better then SII

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rai-Jin wrote:
does this feel better then SII

He'll probably wait until his finished to answer this question. From what I already know about the game, though, it seems that Suikoden V is well on its way to trumping Suikoden II as the greatest Suikoden ever depsite its minor issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: