Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Keystone Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Map of Falena
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heitritsudo (Should be Heitoriddo) - Fort Hatred
Haatsyubiru (Should be Haashubiru) - Harshville Military Port
Subenakusu (Should be Supinakusu) - Port Spinaxe
Sauronikusu - Sauronix Castle
Gorudeisu - (Should be Gorudiasu) Gordius
Doraato - Doraato
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"Fort Hatred", "Harshville"?

Bloody hell.... Where's "Meanietown" and "Castle Evil"?
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They went for simple names for sure... Rainwall, Lordlake, Stormfist, Beaverlodge, Dwarvecamp, etc.
Forum Poster

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars wrote:
They went for simple names for sure... Rainwall, Lordlake, Stormfist, Beaverlodge, Dwarvecamp, etc.

This game is definitely a Suikoden II lovefest.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden II had it in some places with "Greenhill" and "Two River" being the main culprits but the game also had Tinto, Kyaro, Toto, Ryube, Coronet, Kuskus, L'Renouille and so on.

This is much, much worse.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Alkazar

The Sons of Senan

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh - I knew I shouldn't trust anything I changed to romaji at 4 AM. That would explain why I couldn't get anything that sounded like a name out of them.

Anyways, with those names, the map is translated, I suppose. The finished version is uploaded now.

Edit: And I don't know that it's all that bad. They've got a few names that're slightly more interesting... Eastrise (which I've been told others translate as Estrise), Sable, Leluca, Gordius, Doraato, Sol Falena, Sauronix, Haud, Yashuna, Lunas, Lake Seras. It's not just a nation that relies completely on compound words, and it has about the same number of interesting names as I can recall Suikoden II having.

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wait, does the Gordius in Falena have any connection to the the Gordius mentioned by Estella in Suikoden III which was supposed to be the all-male version of the Alma-Kinan village?
Forum Poster

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
Wait, does the Gordius in Falena have any connection to the the Gordius mentioned by Estella in Suikoden III which was supposed to be the all-male version of the Alma-Kinan village?

I thought it was just another Persian/Arabic reference. But wasn't Estella a compulsive liar anyhow? I wouldn't trust anything she said.

Quote:
Suikoden II had it in some places with "Greenhill" and "Two River" being the main culprits but the game also had Tinto, Kyaro, Toto, Ryube, Coronet, Kuskus, L'Renouille and so on.

No way, Lakewest was far, far worse. There were also the two Windows, Rockaxe, and possibly, Muse. But I do agree that Suikoden V seems to have more of these types of names in this regard. I think Small Border Village from Tactics might deserve the crown, though.

Of course, these names probably sound cool and exotic to the Japanese, since they're in English, and we all know that ordinary words sound much cooler when they're in a different language.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gordius is sort of a Persian reference because it comes from the "Knot of Gordius," which was a very complex knot that nobody was able to solve. It was said the he who can solve the knot will rule the world. Alexander the Great came along and cut the knot with his sword, which is why people say that altough Alexander conquered the known world, he ended up dying by the sword.

Anyhow, I noticed that the Setting Booklet that came with the special edition had some of the official spellings for placenames.

Doraato should be Doraat, and Eastrise should be Estrise. There was no official spelling given for Spinaxe and Sauronix. Oh yes, and Harshville should be Hershville Naval Base.
Linnaeus

Meow Mages

167580 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Simple names like that appear in real life, too. Look at "Salt Lake City"...can you guess what that town's by? There are many other instances like that.

And, I thought that it was the persian reference to the village, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the clarification and the info, Sars! :P
Alkazar

The Sons of Senan

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars wrote:
Doraato should be Doraat, and Eastrise should be Estrise. There was no official spelling given for Spinaxe and Sauronix. Oh yes, and Harshville should be Hershville Naval Base.

The corrections are welcome and I've updated the map. As I said, Estrise was one that was suggested to me, but I had no additional proof at the time as to which it was, and it sounded like Eastrise when I pronounced it. And I should have probably associated "Naval" with a port... heh... anyways, map's been updated.

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
"Fort Hatred", "Harshville"?

Bloody hell.... Where's "Meanietown" and "Castle Evil"?

John you are seriously one of my favorite posters.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Whoah, when they said the map was huge, they damn sure weren't kidding *mouth open in awe*!!!

I hope that I won't get lost while trying to navigate that place...

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is a spoiler question, most likely, but I'll need the confirmation for my map so can whoever answers put it in black for everyone else?

Is the Hershville Naval Base a town or purely a military installation?
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a town which is also a military installation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: