Suikoden Utopian and Irrational Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

L'Renouille.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Only because it looks like french dosen't mean it should have a meaning. Like Ryube Village or Crom Village. Crom means nothing but no one care about it because it's in english. But if it was Cromção everyone would like to know the meaning of the word. But no one would ever know because I just created that word.

86165 Potch
50 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

uwangski wrote:
Here in the Philippines, we also have places named after some weird things:

I've listed them together with the English literal meaning

ex:

Biak-na-Bato - Split Rock

Sapang Bato - Creek of Rock

Sapang Palay - Creek of Rice

Malanggam - Full of ants

Maahas - Full of snakes!

Pulang Lupa - Red Soil

Caingin - Forest Burning

Susong Dalaga - Virgin's Breast!!!

So I dont really think North and South Window are weird names...

you forgot it's the Spaniards who named the for map making and point of references. the spanish and native filipinos can't understand each other or understands a little that's why what the spanish heard they write. history lover here haha!

caingin IS forest burning do we have a place like that? where?

and i think it's not wierd if wierdness is what you are implying. it's just miscommunication of our forefathers.

i can explain the virgin's breast the hills slope like a teenager. dalaga means teen girl. your only implying the name but you forgot that the kind of lace should be also added.

biak na bato or split rock is named that way because when our ancestors signed an agreement with the americans the place where there is a rock is literally split.

To feel used, to feel lust, to feel wanted for once
To know there's somebody else who's dying to feel anything
I'm Ready and willing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
uwangski

Lilly's Loyal Guards

701224 Potch
200 Soldiers
32 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

rane wrote:
caingin IS forest burning do we have a place like that? where?

and i think it's not wierd if wierdness is what you are implying. it's just miscommunication of our forefathers.

i can explain the virgin's breast the hills slope like a teenager. dalaga means teen girl. your only implying the name but you forgot that the kind of lace should be also added.

biak na bato or split rock is named that way because when our ancestors signed an agreement with the americans the place where there is a rock is literally split.

I'm from Caingin, Malolos City, Bulacan, so I know Caingin very well. There's also Caingin in Marilao or Meycauayan, not sure...

Dalaga means virgin not teenager, since there are "matandang dalaga." They're still virgin after so many years of stay in this world.

Of course I also know that Biak-na-Bato pact. I'm actually interested in Geography and History.

By the way, I remembered another one, the story of the naming of Calamba, Laguna.

Spanish: "Hey, what's this place called?" (In spanish)

The girl he was talking to did not understand. She thought he was asking what are those objects she was selling. So she said:

Girl: Kalan(stove), Banga(large urn)

So the spanish named it Calamba after all those misunderstanding...

(I'm not actually sure about that one)

Hey, where are you from, rane? I figured you're from here since you understood me...

86165 Potch
50 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

uhm right yeah hahaha! *smacks forhead* well let's not get :off topic: i'll pm you about that.

since japanese have the liking for foreign names maybe they just want it to be french like.

:edited:

To feel used, to feel lust, to feel wanted for once
To know there's somebody else who's dying to feel anything
I'm Ready and willing

Last edited by rane on Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dark-knight

Knights of the Dark

23181 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

^guys youre both way off topic during those last posts of yours.

@rane's last post- maybe they wanted something new. something that adds, umm, class? hey its in the highlands and people there somehow implies richness and class to me. so maybe konami wanted to use something that may sound sexy or. ah forget it.

offtopic statement but is pretty relevant to those posts by uwangski and rane:
the translation of the sentence "is it going down?" in filipino is "bababa ba?" and if the one being asked answers "it is going down." in filipino it is "bababa."

^those statements are weird if youre a foreigner in our country because youll wonder how we can understand something with just one sound. funny.
uwangski

Lilly's Loyal Guards

701224 Potch
200 Soldiers
32 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

dark-knight wrote:
the translation of the sentence "is it going down?" in filipino is "bababa ba?" and if the one being asked answers "it is going down." in filipino it is "bababa."

^those statements are weird if youre a foreigner in our country because youll wonder how we can understand something with just one sound. funny.

Wahahaha! All I can do right now is laugh!!! I can hardly type!

Anyway, sorry for the off-topics. I just wanted to explain my points of view...

Knights of Rass Will

156581 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Perhaps given the fact the Japanese swith the L with the R and vice versa, Konami made a joke by naming the capital L'Renouille, which would give a hard time for any Japanese to pronounce.
Rocky

Harmonian Paramilitary Spearmen Corps

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Isn't L'Renouille a name given to Highland's capital only recently? I thought there was another name before that?

Anyway, it looks cool, but I have no idea how you pronounce it. And when it comes to French, it's completely illogical. But at a time that lacked voiceovers, I'm sure it was much easier to have less sensible sounding cities :mrgreen:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Darko

Spell to Bind Forever

235341 Potch
0 Soldiers
5809 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

L'Renouill would probably be pronounced Le Re-no-ai. But yeah... L' is way off. If they translated it into english and had trouble with that, it's no wonder they didn't know the way French is written correctly.

I agree with Rocky that it looks cool though! Hehehe.

RIP Gabriel J. Figueroa 1987-2007
Midori

Stijgende Zielen

53473 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I mentioned this ages ago, but in the Japanese version of the game, L'Renouille is actually spelt Ru Ru Noi E (ルルノイエ). I can understand Ru no i e. Probably the correct spelling would have to be Le Renouille to make up for the first Ru.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought it was a fact L'Renoile was gibberish?
and the Windows were supposed to be just "wind" right?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
whatadai

The Trojans

0 Potch
70 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It makes no sense cause in French L'Renouille isn't correct grammar since it is either Le or La and only L'???? if the first letter after the apostrephe is a vowel.
Rune of Corruption

Ficky Ficky Frog Eyed Frustrated Fools

2319 Potch
0 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It could be a simple mistake, or they simply didn't care. It is a French based spelling, but it doesn't have to make grammatical sense.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I blame translation and the probable lack of French people around to correct it at the time.
Galt

De Ruyter

1723195 Potch
0 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ever think of it this way... maybe it isn't French... maybe it's just the "Highland language."
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: