Suikoden Utopian and Illusional Kibbutz Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

L'Renouille.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: L'Renouille. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The name of the Highland capital has always baffled me. First of all, it's clearly French in spelling, but has no meaning whatsoever in that language. But, you know, people make up names for video games, so that's permissible.

More oddly, it's blatantly grammatically incorrect. The article "L'" (that's an apostrophe, in case you can't tell it apart from the quotation marks) means "the," and is used before nouns that start with vowel sounds, as in "l'escargot" (the snail).

"Renouille," however starts with an "r," which is obviously not a vowel. The only logical pronunciation is to make the leading "r" silent, which still makes no sense. In French, a silent "r" at the start of the word is bizarre.

So, does anyone know what the L'Renouille spelling is all about? Is it just another result of the horrible Suikoden II translation?
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's probably bad translation. Konami is good at that. :mrgreen:

I always said Le Renouille. And renouille sounds very close to grenouille, which means frog. So maybe it's supposed to be Le Grenouille. :D

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, wouldn't it be La Grenouille?

And a frog doesn't really seem fitting to name a capital city after. What were those Highlanders thinking?
mumbay

White Maiden Mercenaries

167500 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

maybe they are very amphbious?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You're going to sit their with a serious face and tell me that that name is any stranger than North Window? I defy you sir, Suikoden 2 was filled with weird names, and I always found the highland Capital to be one of the more believable locale names. Honestly would you really live in a place called Toto village? I'd never be able to respect myself and I'd never send my parents mail either because I know they'd be embarrassed the get mail from their son in "Toto village"

On another note, Duck village? Could you guys be a bit more creative please.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Camus just wants to confirm if anyone knows of a translation for it to see if there was supposed to be an actual name.

You're best of asking someone like iscalio for the French meaning (if there is one at all as you've said) or Sars to ask if it was called something different in the Japanese version.

If it is supposed to be "The Frog" then I'd shudder at that. I can understand North/South Window - however odd the name Window is. But having a Kingdom name their capital after a frog is clearly stupid considering (as far as I know) there is no mention of a frog in any of Highland's history or culture.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
rane

86165 Potch
50 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

this is it! i get it now! former king highland is a puppy! the succesor a duck! maybe the ancestor was a frog???? :shock:

we have solve the problem! :|

on a serious note: why is north and south window weird for you? and i've always thought L'Renouille is a great name for a city of highland.

To feel used, to feel lust, to feel wanted for once
To know there's somebody else who's dying to feel anything
I'm Ready and willing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

rane wrote:
L'Renouille is a great name for a city of highland.

The problem with the name L'Renouille is that it doesn't make sense. The L - apostrophe - R means that you are supposed to pronounce the "r" in the same syllable as the "l," as you would with the "a" in "La."
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It might not make sense in French but it obviously does in Highlanderianese. :P
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Damn, I forgot about that. I think a rough translation in ancient Highlanderianese is, hmm, you'll have to stay with me on this as I have to cross translate to understand it fully but I believe it says...

"Fluffy trumps Beaky"

We can only imagine what those old Highlanders were meaning.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well whatever it was you forgot that in ancient Highlandesse you have to read it backwards.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lots of names have no meaning, so that's my guess. Few video game locations have "normal" names so there's no reason to believe that Suikoden is any different. And let's not ascend into a Highland conversation. (AA is obviously right anyway)

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

According to my calculations...

Quote:

Axiose swiftly takes the initiative!
Axiose is protected by powerful Earth Magic!
Sage is protected by Earth Magic!

---=<[Round 1]>=---
Axiose delivers a CRITICAL hit!
Sage reels back from the powerful blow, suffering 564 points of damage!

Sage is knocked out!
Axiose: 416 | Sage: -240

Axiose is the winner!

Fluffy does indeed trump beaky.

As far as the name goes, I doubt that translators had anything in mind for a frog, they probably just thought it sounded cool and that if anyone translated it, they'd think it was funny that they put it in.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rane

86165 Potch
50 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes i get it Camus the Noble maybe it's of those crazy higland dialects.

about reading it backwards it would be read ykaeb spmurt yffulF. hehe! :D

To feel used, to feel lust, to feel wanted for once
To know there's somebody else who's dying to feel anything
I'm Ready and willing
uwangski

Lilly's Loyal Guards

701224 Potch
200 Soldiers
32 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here in the Philippines, we also have places named after some weird things:

I've listed them together with the English literal meaning

ex:

Biak-na-Bato - Split Rock

Sapang Bato - Creek of Rock

Sapang Palay - Creek of Rice

Malanggam - Full of ants

Maahas - Full of snakes!

Pulang Lupa - Red Soil

Caingin - Forest Burning

Susong Dalaga - Virgin's Breast!!!

So I dont really think North and South Window are weird names...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: