Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Kraalesque Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Innate Concentration?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Innate Concentration? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In replaying Suikoden III, I have noticed that some characters have significantly better chances of not losing the spell they are chanting when attacked physically by an enemy. Specifically, Chris and Salome both lost their spells nine out of ten times they were hit, while Borus managed to keep chanting through seven of ten attacks. Could this hint as a possibility of an innate Concentration skill for some characters?

Obviously, this would require much more testing; this is hardly enough data to draw any definite conclusions from. And furthermore, even if there is an innate Concentration skill, why would Borus, the reckless melee knight, possess it?

Still, the coincidence is striking, and may provide new insight into the intricacies of Suikoden III's battle system.
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hrm, well with Suikoden III's battle system you have the ability to grow your characters in different ways. However it is more than obvious that some characters are suited for different jobs. For instance, you wouldn't try making Viki into a physical warrior. The Concentration ability is normally reserved for the characters who are more of a magical nature but that doesn't mean that some physical characters will have better concentration than others. I really don't know, like you said there simply hasn't been enough research done and I simply know to little of the battle system.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was inclined to say that luck had something to do with it, but I believe Chris has better luck than Borus. I could be wrong and if that's the case, luck could be it. If it's not based on the luck stat, I think it's just percentage based and what you witnessed in Borus was just an anomaly.

Unlike Final Fantasy Tactics, there isn't really a lot of research done on gameplay mechanics aside from those experiments run at Suikosource (which seems to have declined lately). There could be an inate skill level, and it wouldn't surprise me. It's just like how Joker manages to toast Queen every time, but Ace remains unscathed. A lot of that game's battle mechanics are a mystery to me.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, every character probably has a set skill in concentration, but there are only a few that can have their skill raised (by the concentration skill, obviously). That would make the most logical sense. Each person probably has a set value that cannot be seen. I assume it's the same way for all skills. I mean, stats don't change as your damage skill is raised, but you do dish out more damage. It's probably like that. I can't say for sure, as I have no evidence, but that's the way it seems after playing it for a while. So, I'd guess Borus has a higher skill in concentration, or Blasphemy is right in that it was just chance.
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd think it also had to do with the character's original aptitude in that particular magic area, and to what level his or her skill had been raised. The higher the aptitude+higher skill level is going to mean they can hang onto the spells longer...
Or so I understand it to be.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, neither Chris nor Borus had any skill in their fields of magic, but Salome did have a C in Water Magic. Still, he was one of the chracters who lost the spell...
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Huh! I dunno then. `^^';; Truth be told, I used very little magic in Suiko III so...yeah.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Mattman2

Fortress Dunan

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Guess it comes down to whether or not the character has a rune affinity, how high their chanting skill is, and if they are well attuned with magic ability. I guess the game switches it up accordign to these key characteristics and in the end I guess the whole system is based on these same principals.

Who knows, I dont lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: