Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Note concerning ship descriptions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here is the description of the Galleon.

Quote:
Galleon (800000 potch): A massive war vessel equipped with various weapons and protected with thick lumber. This class tends to be slow, but its range and defenses more than make up for that.

Aren't this weapons guns?

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since when has "weapons" equated to "guns"?
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe he said "guys" not "guns".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If he meant "guys", his post had no point. I imagine he's questioning the rule that cannons and modern naval weaponry are not allowed, and he's saying that the weapons mentioned in the Galleon-class ships are guns. Which is not the case.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, not necessarily guns, but perhaps cannons?

Naval warfare became possilble because of the invention of the cannon. Without it, what are you going to attack other ships with? Little spears?
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is the Suikoverse, though. And in the Suikoverse, only the Howling Voice Guild has the gun-powder technology required to use cannons.

Arcana wrote:
Naval warfare became possilble because of the invention of the cannon. Without it, what are you going to attack other ships with? Little spears?

You mean, with the invention of the Rune Cannon by Warlock. That was what changed the face of naval warfare in the Suikoverse. Before then, maybe they just used archers on the decks of their ships with flaming arrows. *shrug*

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Spear-oars!

Oars with pointy spear ends used by the rowing crew to pierce the hull of ships and cause it to take in excess water!

Archers, fire archers, ramming, boarding and scuttling and so on all seem to be compatible forms of naval attack in the Suikoden world.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana wrote:

Yes, because famous pre-gun powder naval battles like the Battle of Salamis or the Battle of Actium were actually just guys standing there.

EDIT: In case you're missing my point, we've seen that Suikoden weaponry is based off of what was used in our past. We've seen that, in our past, we've found ways to fight at sea without the use of cannons. Why, then, would Suikodenites not be able to find these ways as well?
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leb wrote:
Arcana wrote:

Yes, because famous pre-gun powder naval battles like the Battle of Salamis or the Battle of Actium were actually just guys standing there.

John and Nutflush were polite in pointing out my omission of archers and ramming, and their context in the Suikoden world. I forgot about catapults and flaming arrows.

Last edited by Arcana on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden V proves you don't need Rune Cannons (That's not a huge spoiler so I shouldn't get in too much trouble being that it's vital to this topic at hand). Also Gun Power is a Harmonia only until they lose their tower as it's unfair to give anyone else the nation's only claim to fame.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm only saying that we can't say we have guns in our descriptions but the in the description of the Galleon it's says it is equiped with various weapons, and what weapons you can equip in a ship? Guns.

And they also say: "This class tends to be slow, but its range and defenses more than make up for that." Range of what? The guns range.

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Do you think guns and cannons are the only projectile and/or long-range weapons ever invented?
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just think the boat sits higher out of water or taller so archers can shoot further because of this and the mages can see further to use their magic. It's a futile argument, the Galleons don't have guns even if you think the description implies it which it doesn't really to be honest with you.

I don't know about spear-oars but during naval battles I intend to get into my submersible barrel with attached drill bit on top. You'll be sinking before you realise I was ever there.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I would like to think this is a simple solution. Since the Howling Voice Guild is the only group who has mastered the use of gun powder in the Suikoverse, there stands to reason that the Galleons would have to be equipped with other forms of long range atacks. What exactly is long range and not any sort of explosive cannon? Harpoons. A spring loaded harpoon style gun. A high tension coil, a team of strong men and a very long and pointy harpoon can seriously damage anotherr ship. Also, perhaps it has a lot of smaller harpoon cannons tah fire off not so large harpoons, like spear sized.

Let's keep in mind this is based of a game where Magic is prevalent. Why sit here and agrue semantics of why Galleons can have other forms of attacks when you openly accept that in this realm a ball of fire can be conjured from nothingness or a human can cause an earthquake, only in a small centralized location with use of a shiny stone embedded in their hand. Or for this matter why Clive isn't the most powerful character in Suikoden. He does have a gun. So if you can openly accept the fact that there are these inconsistancies that aren't available on our realm of existance why can't another form of long range attacks on a galleon be allowed without it having to be a gun powder based weapon? For god sakes, you accept there can be half lion half eagle creatures but NOT long range boat attacks not related to gun powder? Squirrels can run around with capes and there are human sized dog and cats speaking english, but god forbid there be a boat with alternative weaponry.

Just let Sars and Axiose do their things with the boats and stop questioning the minute details that really don't need to be addressed.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://militaryhistory.about.com/cs/navalwarfare/a/revnavalwarfare.htm

A little bit about how the cannon revolutionized naval warfare. The galleon, as a boat, would have never come around if not for the Spanish desire to put more cannons on its ships.

This link is posted here purely out of interest and is not meant to change SARS's mind about the implementation of his battle system, or to argue the details of ranged warfare on ships in the Suikoden universe.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: