Suikoden Unique and Irenic Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Final Fantasy sequels
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Final Fantasy sequels Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

so we have had 3 sequels in the series

- FFX-2
- FF :Advent Children
-FF :Dirge of Ceberus.

so know im thinking are there any more sequels in the pipe line, at the moment square-enix seems to want to cash in on the sucess they has with FF7 by making sequels, not that im complaining, but are there anymore FF7 ones planned?

Also do we think that the other final fantasies will get sequels as well? and would you want them? Do you want to know how Squall is doing? or just see what queen Garnet is up to?
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FFX-2 severely hurt any excitement that may have been brought about for a sequel. It seemed like a cheap cash grab to me. FF:AC was a decent movie, well at least it looked pretty. Don't know much about Dirge, probably won't find out for a while either as I'm not really interested.

I don't think any other game will get a sequel. FFVII put the series on the map for a lot of people. It gained the media's attention and became one of the most popular games ever. It made RPG's a mainstream genre in my opinion. The FF7 fans are both a numerous and passionate bunch. I just don't see that same level of passion (or amount of fans) for other games in the series (except maybe FFX) so that is why I doubt we'll see a sequel to another game. They may continue the FF7 world though since they're sharing a lot of it to us through the spin offs. If anything, I think we'll see more games use that world as their location.

As for what Squall, Garnett and the rest of the Final Fantasy heroes are up to... well I have to be honest, I don't really care to revisit them again. It kind of takes the finality of Final Fantasy out of it.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
The Chizen Star

5907 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus aren't the only FF7 sequels. There's also Last Order, Before Crisis, and Crisis Core. Being a big FF7 fan, I'm happy about all these sequels. Advent Children was good, Last Order was awesome, although too short. Dirge looks like it'll be great.
FFX-2 on the other hand, I'm not fond of, at all. I disbelieve in it's existence.

I remember Square saying at one point that if the FF7 sequels do well, they would like to do a followup to FF6, though.

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

erm what are the other 3 about, loosly and when were they released?
The Chizen Star

5907 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, Last Order is a 25 minute anime, that basically retells all of the Zack flashbacks from the game, when Sephiroth first goes crazy, etc. It was released with the Japanese Limited Edition of Advent Children.
Before Crisis is a cell phone game that takes place a few years before FF7, and the Turks are the main characters. I don't much more about it than that. It's been out in Japan for a while, now.
Crisis Core is a PSP action RPG with Zack as the main character. Square hasn't shown any gameplay footage or anything, just a couple of anime cutscene screenshots. It'll probably follow the same events as Last Order.

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's FF7: AC, BC, CC, DC. I've gotta admit that I haven't heard of Last Order I don't think. As for other sequels it doesn't bother me really, I'd like game sequels on PS3, animes or movies but I'm not interested in all that mobile phone stuff.

A sequel to FF6 doesn't intrest me in the least.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

nah hawky it doesnt fil me with the joys of spring either, but we are in a retro phase at the moment, we just have to look at movies to tell us that, so in that sense i think Square-Enix maight try to cash in on that, but lets face it, alot is riding on FFXII at this point, Square-Enix cant keep living off Squares reputation forever, but i think they will go down the sequel route.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As much as I loved FF6 (being my favourite FF and all), I'm not looking forward to a sequel either. But I'd love for them to remake it for the PS3 in all the new graphics glory.

I bet Square-Enix could live of remaking their old games with new graphics for their FF1-FF6 games. Wouldn't you buy FFIV to see Cecil in all his bad-ass glory? How about seeing Terra turn into an esper and go postal in High Def!

Last Order doesn't really count as a sequel, wasn't it released with Advent Children in the same package?

Square has some new games in the works, Code Age Commanders is the only one I can recall off hand. I think they're just now getting used to being all buddy-buddy with Enix so we should either see Square-Enix re-establish itself as a dominant RPG company or maybe that's just wide-eyed optimism. They don't have to go the sequel route.... I'm sure there are other franchises that could do with some sequels before they go messing up Final Fantasy. Secret of Mana, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, etc.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Locke

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just want a true Chrono Trigger sequel and another Tactics game. FFTA to me was dissapointing. What could they do for a Final Fantasy 6 sequel?

Spoiler

They saved the world and all went there merry way, except for maybe Shadow.

3 Time Suikox WWE Fantasy Champion
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

gah why is it that when a sequel comes around but it contains pop themes its branded as pathetic and udnerrated yet when a few come aorund for what is arguably the most overhyped game in the series its welcomed?

FFX-2 was a welcome sequel as the world of spira and its characters was left all up in the air at the end, no one knew where theyd progress to or what stage theyd take it too. Considering the ending to FFX one would think that square was planning a sequel from the get go.

FF7's mass of sequels, prequels, offshoots and general hysteria is what i think is overkill, everyone whos played the games knows the story as its plaid out in obvious fashion (a reason whyi believe some ff series fans dislike X-2, as the linear aspect isnt so much a dominant story feature).

We find out in the game the events leading from Cloud & Zacks escape from Nibelheim, yet they are basically replayed in anime form in Last Order.
Anime News Network Last Order Page

Dirge of Cerberus ties in with Advent Children (as mass rumoured Vincents sudden appearance in AC begs a few questions that are apparantly answered in DoC) FFXtreme review of DoC

To me theyre flogging it for its all its worth and its sickening. I agree that FF7 needed a sequel of some kind due to the last events in the games, just not to the level that square are doing it. Really no other FF bar 7 and X have left things open in their endings to warrent sequels (my opinion). So unless the fanbase screams for it as much they did with the ff7 tech demo we prolly wont be seeing any sequels of any of the other FFs.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm hoping for a remake of Final Fantasy VII. It probably had the worst graphics of any final fantasy so it would be cool if they did a full remake for the PS3 with new graphics.
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I honestly don't see the need for sequels to FFs.

Like most people, I thought FFX-2 was a cheap ploy to get more money, and to show off it's eye-candy. Not only did I find that it was a very mediocre game, it lessened my faith in the FF series to about 1 out of 10.

Then of course with the FFVII: AC,BC.CC.DC thing, yeah that's what I call saturation of a good, but over-rated game.

Though I'll admit it be nice to see a remake of FFVIII (my favorite FF) with updated graphics and maybe some more character development, but that will never happen because S-E's to busy with FFVII.

So really it's up to FFXII on whther or not the sereis lasts. Personally I'm more excited for Shadow Hearts 3 and SuikoV so FFXII is last on my list.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually really liked FFX-2, but let us not get into that topic stopping debate again...
I think i read a press release that stated that it would take a team of 100+ people 4years to remake FFVII to the standard of the tech demo that was showed off, so dont think there planning to do it yet, maye when they have gotten to grips with the PS3's technology they could.

As for remakes of the other games i would say WOOYAY, i sometimes find it hard to play first 5 games, and it shames me to say that the graphics were the main problem i had, well that and the emulation controls, but i really like some sexed up versions of them.

With the Final Fantasy 7 sequels there is room for them, there is alot of backstory and character development to be done, and also the way the game ended leaves the plot open for more, but if they want to keep the sequels from getting stale they need to start venturing away from Cloud and Vincent, prehaps even introduce some new character, it could word, but weather it should, that is very debatable.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the sequels are a poor idea unless the plot of the games are a little different. Granted I've never played X (or X-2) but from my time in Spira I know the plot of FFX (to save the world) which is the plot of all the Final Fantasy's. To continue the plot in a sequel is a bad idea as at the end of all the Final Fantasy games I played (1, 2 and 4-9) there was always a complete sense of closure at the end of the games and the bad guys was 100% dead.

To make the sequels appeal to fans Square will carry on with the stories of the main characters and will make the main antagonist in the sequel connect to the main antagonist in the original.

That is why they are bad. Unless the original plot is left open then the sequel appears to be cheap and thrown all together simply to appease the fans. This was definately the case in Advent Children which was a visual success but little else. Way back when I quite enjoyed playing Final Fantasy VII as it was the first Final Fantasy game I'd played for many years since Final Fantasy IV and VI so it wasn't bad back in the day (I'm not a huge fan of it now but I'd rather play that than some other games).

I think the thing that puts me off the most is that the sequels make the original game seem all in vein. Yay, we saved the world and killed the big bad--oh wait...what's this? He/she has somehow come back through the failed cloning attempts of a group that all signs pointed to being finished but in fact are not and are back for me trouble.

If they have to remake them, then fine and dandy but I personally feel all the Final Fantasy VII sequels are letting the original game down more than it needs. I'm interested to see Last Orders but seeing as that is an extension of the original plot and it fills in the Nibelhiem (or however it's spelt!) incident then it can't cheapen the plot of the original.

But that's my problem with some sequels in general be they film, book or game. The ones that work, work because the tie in well and support the original. The ones that don't work well either ignore continuity or ruin the sense of closure that is created by the end of the original. Final Fantasy sequels will likely fall into the latter category because Square will want to appeal to the fans by re-stoking the peaceful fires of the original plot and by doing so, cheapening the plot.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well don't forget the Final Fantasy VII Snowboarding Cell Phone game.

And the many guest star appearances from Final Fantasy Characters like:

Cloud Final Fantasy Tactics, Yufie, Vincent, Tifa, Cloud and Sephiroth in the Tobal No.1 style PS1 Fighting game Ehrgeiz.

And the many Kingdom Hearts showings, I don't know if the two Japan only (well I think the first game had seen a US release but I'm not sure) Chocobo dungeon games or Chocobo racing are considered Spin Off's.

So there's lot's of exploitation when it comes to the Final Fantasy series (still doesn't beat Resident Evil though).

I would only like a PS3 remake of Final Fantasy VII, another Final Fantasy Movie like Advent Children, with the characters of VII, but only one more movie.

A PS3 remake of Final Fantasy VI.

That's it, I don't think any more exploitation of the series is necessary, better make new games.

I didn't like Final Fantasy X-2 either but is probably due to different reasons than most, I mean from the time of the announcement and the time I got the game in my hands, I got to terms with the whole Charlie's Angels deal, and accepted it as a lighthearted travesty of Final Fantasy X...

SOME FINAL FANTASY X-2 SPOILERS FOLLOW:

But when I actually played the game I got pi**ed off of how serious the plot supposedly gets at some points, I thought that it was going to be some comedic ****, but they mix serious stuff in, from the one point you have a completely altered Yuna dancing around with Rikku like a deranged psychopath, and from the other side you have a supposedly very touching concert scene, I mean those things don't go together like that, it would have been better if they kept the game lighthearted all the way...

Advent Children I really enjoyed don't want to spoil anything, but some things could be better, that's why I would like a sequel of some sort.

As for Last order...

Pointless, adds nothing really new, it would have been best if that time and energy was spend doing a Final Fantasy VII anime based on some other occurrences of the game...

The rest I haven't played yet...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: