Suikoden Unique and Irrational Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Do you have favourite game companies or developers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Do you have favourite game companies or developers? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Have you ever bought a game because it was made by a company you respect, over another game that was made by a no-name company?

I have. What game companies do you trust to deliver good games all the time? Here are some developers who have me partially sold just because the game was developed by them:

Tri-Ace: The developers behind Radiata Stories, Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile. They have developed a reputation for great gameplay and unique battle systems. Star Ocean 3's battle system still impresses me. I bought Radiata Stories in part because it was made by Tri-Ace.

Blizzard: Ever since Warcraft burst onto the PC gaming scene, I have been a huge fan of Blizzard. They followed that success up with Warcraft 2, Starcraft as well as Diablo. Really, that company always delivers amazing games.

Monolith: The team that worked for Square and created the classic Xenogears. When I heard this team went on their own, formed their own company Monolith and was going to release Xenosaga, well I jumped right on to it. Unfortunately that reputation has been tarnished from Xenosaga 2.

Firaxis: The company formed by Sid Meir. What can be said, after playing through Civilization 1 and 2, I was sold. I've played every subsequent Civilization as well as the unofficial spin off Alpha Centauri. I purchased Pirates because it was developed by Firaxis.

Bioware: The best CRPG company out there (Canadian to boot!). Bioware released games such as the Baldurs Gate series. After playing those, I purchased the whole NWN series because I knew they did CRPG's well. I later purchased Star Wars KOTOR (even though I'm not a SW fan) because of Bioware. I was hesitent about SW:KOTOR2 because they didn't do it.

There are some other companies such as Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo) but since they only have one game I like, I can't justify putting them in the list. I would however purchase another game they developed if they ever give me the chance. Konami is great too, but the Suikoden teams change too much and I don't think they do other games. I'm not sure if the MGS team has made anything else either.

Game series are always there, but at times new teams take over. Consider Level 5 (from Dark Cloud) who did Dragon Quest 8, yet DQ7 was done by Enix's in-house team. This is why I put so much value in who the developer is.

So I'm curious, am I the only one that puts this much importance in the developer of the game. If I'm not, maybe you could share with me some developers that have earned your respect?

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Peace Maker

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Great topic so here's mine :-

Konami: As you said this company is great for it's Suikoden series , MGS and the Winning Elven series .

Blizzard: You have to respect this company for it's great strategy games that will make you stay all night long infront of the screen .

Atlas: This Company has some decent RPG games such as Growlance 1,2,3 ,Brigendine and some other games i can't recall at the moment .

SquareEnix: Definitely one of the best and biggest companies we all know it .

EA Games : The biggest copmay when it comes to strategy games this company developed the famous C&C Wars series and C&C Generals which was huge when it hits the market .

Si Games : The developers of Championship Manager and the creatores of Football manager both games were great .

hmmm, maybe they are some more but let's leave it like this see you . :wink:

eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ah indeed the usualy suspects, while i dont buy it purely for the namesake of the companies.

Konami impressed me with their metal gear series, the amount of depth they actually went to with that series i thought was terriffic to see in a gaming developer, then of course there is the rpg contingent which for its time in the beginning focused more on the actual contents rather then the gimmicks.

Bioware, nwn enthralled me as far as rpgs go so mcuh that i actually despised characters for actions they took (all be it they didnt have much of a choice, foolish plot sequencing) the d&d elements were also integrated nicely. Baldurs gate was while not my exact cup of tea a fine piece of work.

Westwood, the true brains behind the c&c series, and well as dune, is such a shame they ended up going under after being acquired by EA.

Activision, Mechwarrior and Call of Duty have both impacted the markets heavily and not disappointed, and while i seriously suck at mechwarrior in every way shape and form that doesnt mean the game series is lacking in anything, just that im lacking in co ordination.

Firaxis, Civilization series and Alpha Centauri, one of the best actual turn based strategy games that withstood the test of time and real time.

Bilzzard, starcraft and warcraft, how can people not love this even though it isnt as suped up as aoe or dawn of war, a bit iffy on the ghost aspect considering how long its taking and disappointed in wow (mainly with pricing which is unrelated) still continue with quality gaming despite advertising god knows how many positions on their website.

Sierra as my finale, Homeworld was different and quite enthralling, Empire Earth was magnificent in its execution, they deserve any praise they get and more.

5907 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

tri-Ace all the way. I don't think these guys have ever made a bad game, and I'll probably buy every game they ever make.

I used to be a Square fanboy, but they haven't made a single good game, IMO, since they became SquareEnix. Kingdom Hearts II will probably change that, though.

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Konami is my favorite developer. Suikoden, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania, Silent Hill..all great game series. They also have the Bemani line of games too.

Square Enix is another fave but they're gone down the toilet the past few years so I won't include them.
Rune Walsh

Order of the Gelid Wind

105159 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Konami: mainly because of my 2 favorite series ever, Metal Gear and Suikoden.

Blizzard: Basically everything they make is great. Lost Vikings, Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft, Blackthorne...

Squaresoft: I also feel like square was demolished by enix... i don't remember a single game since they united that i liked. The old Square is much better, thank you very much :mrgreen:

Atlus: Best strategy rpg company out there, I consider Ogre Battle 64 their masterpiece.
Agahnim

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm with Himuro. Konami are my favourite developer thanks to Suikoden, Metal Gear Solid, Siilent Hill, Vandal Hearts and Pro Evolution Soccer to name a few.

Though I am quite fond of the games Spike (Fire Pro Wrestling, King of Colosseum) and Square Enix (All Star Pro Wrestling III, Star Ocean) produce.. THQ, Jakks Pacific and AKI combined used to create wonderful things, but sadly that was the past.

Koei are worth note as well in my books, mostly for their Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Dynasty Warriors, Dynasty Tactics etc. games.

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience."
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Let's see..I think my favourite game developer would have to be Blizzard. I've devoted an astonishing amount of time into their real-time strategy games...not so much a fan of the Diablo series, but in my darker days, I've been plastered to the screen clicking repeatedly on a variety of animated demons. I'm somewhat disappointed with them right now, though, because I don't care for WoW and it feels like they aren't even working on anything else sometimes.

I'm a large fan of Firaxis for producing a few worthwhile turn-based strategy games over the years. As seemingly one of the few people alive who liked Alpha Centauri, I liked them then, and also for the newer Civilization titles, especially IV.

Westwood Studios is among my all-time favourites. My first computer game on a 3.5" floppy was Dune 2. I think I own almost all of their C&C titles up through Red Alert 2, with the exception of perhaps an expansion pack at some point along the way. Unfortunately, they're now yet another peon under the iron fist of EA... although at least they're working on one worthwhile project - updating all of their old C&C games to work properly on Windows XP in Command and Conquer: Decade or some such. Anyway, good people.

Capcom produced the Mega Man series, which I still play when the mood strikes me to this day. I bought the Megaman Anniversary Collection for the PS2 the day it came out. I think I've got a save having beaten all eight of the games on the collection. They also produced Street Fighter and Resident Evil, both of which I've been on and off fans of over the years.

Konami deserves a mention of course, for producing Suikoden and Metal Gear Solid. They also produced some excellent older games for the SNES, or at least games I thought were excellent, like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade games, such as Turtles in Time.

I'm hesitant to mention Square-Enix here, but the original Squaresoft produced quite a few titles that I love dearly, Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger and the like. I can't name a game I've liked since they became Square-Enix, however. Kind of tragic, really.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Enix games are the best of the Square Enix games..DQ8 was the only moderately very good game they've released since their merger.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh how could I forget Westwood Studios!!! The creators of the RTS genre, well before Warcraft came out, they unleashed Dune 2, with 3 separate sides, each with a unique unit (a staple of RTS's even today) and tech research. Resources management, user interfaces, automated pick ups, base fortifications, unit strengths/weaknesses... Really, the game that every RTS and some TBS games owe their inspiration from. Take a look at the Dune 2 interface and you'll realize how little it's changed in close to 15 years. Fan of C&C right up until Red Alert 2...

I can't believe I forgot about them. It is a shame about Westwood's fate though.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Oscar

The Dragons Who Rise to the Heavens

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Working Designs
I was just looking to get a new game but got one of the gratest ever. They made the Growlanser (1, 2, and 3). It is an rpg were your words really affect how events happen.

Koei
There famous for making history games. Such as Romance of the Three Kingdoms (1-10 and 11 soon), Dynasty Warriors, and others. I love stratgy games.

BAN DAI
Manley because of the dot hack saga.

SQUARE ENIX
One of the power houses in the world. Fullmetal Alchemist saga, Drakengard, Final Fantasy saga (1-11 and 12 soon)

Konami
The Suikoden series (1-4 and 5 soon)

There are several others.
DeadStreetApostle

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Konami
Suikoden, Metal Gear, Castlevania. Couldn't ask for more. Well...maybe Rocket Knight Adventures 3!!!

Working Designs
The detail put into games like Dragon Force, Shining Wisdom, Arc the Lad and Lunar were awe inspiring at the time they were released. Made me proud to buy a Sega Saturn. R.I.P. :'(

Treasure
I'm suprised no one's mentioned the developer of games like Gunstar Heroes, Guardian Heroes, Mischief Makers, Dynamite Headdy,Radiant Silvergun, Ikaruga and Bangai-O. They live up to their name when it comes to making the most original games I'd ever played. Except for uh...McDonald's...Treasure Land... Adventure . Let's just forget that ever happened.

Capcom
Street Fighter, Resident Evil. Changed the ways I looked at games as a young lad.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Working Designs never developed any games. They simply imported the Japanese one, translated it and published it to North America.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
OptimisticPessimist

Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

84561 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not in order...

Koei: For their Dynasty Warriors and Romance of The Three Kingdoms.

Konami: Suikodens! Soem I can't remember

Atlus: For some of the most unique games in RPG history, including Persona II: Eternal Punishment and Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rune Walsh wrote:
Atlus: Best strategy rpg company out there, I consider Ogre Battle 64 their masterpiece.

Quest was responsible for Ogre Battle 64. They are a development team that's jumped ship a few times from Enix to Square to Nintendo and back to Square-Enix.

Their lineup started with Ogre Battle, and they developed Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, Ogre Battle 64, and Ogre Battle 64: the Knight of Lodis. I also believe they were responsible for Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. A number of prominent Quest developers are also responsible for many of the inventions in Final Fantasy XII.

However, Atlus has developed a few games under the moniker "R&D1", if I recall. Their in-house development team did Kartia and, more famously, the Shin Megami series, which includes the spinoffs Persona and Persona 2, and the Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga series.

Many of the smaller development houses are still alive, but are under the banner of large publishers (*ahem* E.A.). Some of the more famous studios that are still around include Maxis (Will Wright's Simcity and The Sims.)

Also, I must extend my compliments to Bungie, who developed a solid game in Halo and Halo 2, especially Halo 2. Although everyone disses Halo 2 endlessly, the game has an immense amount of depth. What is extremely interesting is playing the game on Legendary mode, because your enemies are not only strong, they're also smart. They will use strategy to try to flush you out of your hole, like flanking maneuvers, and will throw grenades in your direction if you're hiding, and will jump onto boxes to try to find you. They'll even send their enemies in organized waves at you to flush you out. The A.I. is amazing, and because they actually use strategy to outsmart you, you feel good beating your enemies. It's not as much as slaughterfest as it is a battle of wits, brains, and, of course, quick reflexes so you can execute your awesome strategies.

To avoid all of this, you have to be prepared to explore, and, even more importantly, to hide away if you can. The level design is amazing. In Normal mode, or even Heroic mode, you'll just fight and kill everyone you see because it's possible and easy to do so. However, when you're on Legendary mode, it's no longer an option to go toe to toe against your enemies, so you have to fight fast, and run even faster - half of the game involves you trying to be as absolutely sneaky as possible so you don't draw fire. If you're good, you can even explore and find super-secret passages and end up skipping almost an entire level.

Those who diss Halo because "it's just another FPS" hasn't looked deep into it--it's like comparing Suikoden V and Final Fantasy XII and saying that Final Fantasy XII is "just another RPG". Although, at its core, it isn't much different than another FPS, it's the subtleties and, most importantly, its polish. Halo 2 is an extremely polished game, and that extra polish isn't seen in most games today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: