Suikoden Uncouth and Illusional Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Inheritable genetic diseases
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should people who carry genetic diseases be allowed to have children?
Yes
73%
 73%  [ 14 ]
No
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 19

Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Pierrot_Le_Fou wrote:
Okay, back to mental illness. A person who suffers from an extreme mental illness like schizophrenia or manic depression will more than likely have a hard life and may even become sucidal. So that could potentially be a fatal disease yea?

But this isn't about mental illness; this is about fatal diseases. You can't argue that becoming suicidal could fit the 'fatal' part. And unlike something like CF, schizophrenia is treatable. So no, those are not fatal. People with actual diseases have no control over what will happen, and their bodies deteriorate uncontrollably. Would that be any less of a 'hard life,' to know that you're going to die and be unable to do anything about it, all because of a faulty gene?

And I don't think that having a mental illness is any more difficult to cope with than an actual disease; life isn't easy in general.

Arcana:

But seeing as how this IS hypothetical and there is no way of enforcing it should it actually happen, there's no point in discussing it.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it depends; if a person knows they have the gene for the disease, then the chances are fair, but in certain cases, both parents have to carry the gene for the disease to have effect.

it's a personal choice, hopefully, the individuals make informed decisions after they know what they may end up dealing with if children are created.

it's similar to whether or not drug addicts should be sterilized, or even the mentally challenged; a potential hotbed with no clear cut answers.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Celes Tilly wrote:
Arcana:

But seeing as how this IS hypothetical and there is no way of enforcing it should it actually happen, there's no point in discussing it.

I'm just saying that it's something that should be considered. It's not a situation that you can say will never happen. In some places, in some later time, the government might decide that people who have uncurable diseases should be denied the right to have children. I wouldn't say that discussing ways to enforce such a law is off topic.

In any case, I clicked the wrong button when I waas voting, and voted "No" instead of "Yes" like I had intended. As I said, this plan, if it went active, should include not only genetic diseases, but HIV/AIDS as well, then. And then it would need to be enforced.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The problem in the case of CF, is that there are many carriers of the disease, because the CF gene is recessive, and thus a person can be a carrier and live a normal life. If this person has children with another carrier, there would be a base 50% chance that the child would have CF. Is 50% chance high enough to make people not have children? That's the hard question. However, there are some other facts to consider.

There are ways to treat CF, and people can live reasonably long lives. If you get a lung transplant and if it is successful, then there would be less disconfort (although you'd still have problems with your pancreas and you'll have to take anti-rejection medication for your entire life, and those pills are huge).

Also, most all males (I levelieve in the high 90 percentile) end up being sterile anyhow due to the nature of the disease. Felames can have babies, but if they do have children with a non-carrier, the child would not have CF--the child would only be a carrier.

It is possible to do a test on yourself to see if you are a carrier, too. I believe the statistics was that 1 out of 25 people of European descent will be a carrier for the CF gene. This is apparently because CF carriers have greater resistance to cholera and typhoid fever.

Personally, I think if a CF patient wants a child, they should go ahead. They know the risks of the disease, and would likely have a better idea of how it can be treated. if a CF patient makes sure their partner is a non-carrier, that's also good.
Nimble Jack

Guard of the Old Way

319192 Potch
250 Soldiers
125 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Evolution 101: Mutation.

Mutation is how species adapt to changes in the environment. New diseases falling under this category. Now lets say that two adults get together who have AIDS/HIV and they have a baby, who should undoubtably have AIDS/HIV. However the baby is fine, and after some tests doctors find that the baby has a immunization to the AIDS virus. It isn't as farfetched as it sounds. And so the baby is happy, the parents are happy, and the rest of the world is happy because the AIDS pandemic is finally at an end.

Now wasn't that a pretty little picture. If the two parents weren't allowed to have sex, or if the male had been castrated, or the girl forced into getting her tubes tied or whatever, then that baby never would have existed, and millions possibly billions of people would have died.

Also, going back to sickle cell anemia. When this genetic disease is in the pure form it is a burden to the person, certainly. When this disease is in the hybrid form it is a natural defense against malaria. This is because malaria causes blood clots and the like to form that doesn't permit the disc shaped, regular red blood cells to pass through, that would oxygenate your body. The sickel shaped cells can pass through becuase of their smaller shape.

I didn't fall asleep in biology. Could you tell?
P.S. sorry if I sounded a little bit angry I tend to get a tad passionate when I start to argue.
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mutation occurs in all children. It doesn't matter whether the child's parents have AIDS or not. There could be people alive right now who are resistant to HIV, we just don't have a way of knowing. This just gives an "instant" test, and there's no greater likelyhood of a mutation than in those not infected.

Now AIDS isn't a genetic disorder, so it's a different case. CF is genetic, as is sickle cell anemia, and like both you and SARS mentioned, there are benefits to both when you are only a carrier. However, people can't mutate resistance to a genetic disease like with a virus like HIV or smallpox, they can just not get it. There's no benefit to having a kid with a mutation, because it just means he has a normal healthy gene. It won't save anyone else.

Things like CF and Huntington's Disease are flaws in the genome. If you preach pure evolution, it won't matter if the people have children because they'll die out before they can reproduce anyway. The only reason it persists is because the carrier/hybrid state offers some advantage. Of course, in modern society we can extend affected people's lives to a normal length, which allows them to reproduce, therefore increasing the chance that these diseases will remain in the genome.

So actually, if you prevented the sick people from reproducing, or even carriers, it would hasten the end of these diseases.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nimble Jack wrote:
Mutation is how species adapt to changes in the environment.

Heh, I actually thought that was Adaptation. Looking at a graph or scale you can see that a gene or species or whatever has a bell or mound shaped pattern. While the majority of a species is at the peak there are a select few to the left and right representing those that are weaker and those that are stronger. This is in case of an enviormental change or something (like a genetic disease) where the strong ones will survive and eventually become the peak while the ones at the peak will now be the weaker one. I know I did a crappy job of explaining that, I guess you just had to be there for that experiment when I took biology (3 times :oops: )

Now as far as mutation goes I thought that was the changing of a cell or something through an abnormal means like radiation. While closely related Adaption and Mutation they are two seperate things. Who knows though I could be completely wrong. There was a reason I had to take biology three times you know :roll:

Anyway this is getting off topic so let me steer it back on course here. Should people with a genetic disease be allowed to have children? Yes or No? I have already said yes and have stated my reasons as to why. In the end I really do believe that it comes down to ones morals and I think everyone here can agree with me on that. If not, well then I am more than willing to listen to everybody elses view.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A genetic mutation is basically a shift in genetic sequences. It usually occurs during reproduction. The common example is that gene strands might come into contact with each other during the division of the DNA, and a sequence of base pairs ends up getting switched with the other strand, or inverted, or deleted, or inserted.

Mutation (through "radiation") is a pop-culture kind of definition.

In any case, as it was said, AIDS/HIV is not a genetic disease, but my argument was that if you're going to be targetting genetic diseases, then why not target all diseases that are passed by birth, such as HIV?
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Inheritable genetic diseases Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Celes Tilly wrote:
There are certain diseases out there (such as cystic fibrosis, for example) that are inheritable. In the case of CF, most people die pretty young, and it's a horrible way to die. Basically, mucus builds up in your lungs and you choke to death. There's currently no cure for it, as far as I know.

There are a lot of diseases like this; they're carried genetically (in your DNA) and have a good chance of being passed onto your children.

Should these people be allowed to have children?

Discuss.

Wow, Celes... That hurts. But I'd like to be the very first one to punch you right in your fricking face. I have CF, and I am NOT joking. This entire thread's premise is whether or not I Should be allowed to have children, so I do take this as a very personal offense. Sars stated a lot of truths about my disease and unfortunately most of it is true, or in some cases worse. In the case of sterility, that is incorrect. Most Cystic males are not sterile per se, but their vas deferens are dissolve at a young age (like pre-pubescent) so that the sperm that is created, can not merge with the semen. So I DO create it, I just can't inseminate by normal means. I can have a surgical procedure done to withdraw the sperm and inselminate artificially.

Regardless of the facts on that, this thread is essentially "should we control the population so that only the best kinds of people will live on. Once all the "sicklies" and "retards" are weeded out, what's next Celes? All the redheads and Brown haired people? I beleive it was a vision of Hitler to have a complete arayan race. Basically I view this thread as the question "Should we perform a type of hereditary genocide?" Screw that.

I am 24, and my brother who has a much worse case of CF is now 30 so that "they live short lives" line is a big ball of horsecrap and go get a book thats dated after 1985 because since then a LOT of stuff ahs been done to advance my lifespan as well as the lives on many other ptiens with bad diseases. To say "Lets abort these children because theyll have it tough" is a cop out. I was born with a crap ass deal with life and I've made the best of it. I'll be the first to say that it sucks having to cough up balls of phloegm (sp?) while watching my friends play football in the street, but you know what? I'd rather do that than to not exist at all.

Genetics will someday advance so far that yes, it will be able weed out the diseases like CF, MS and CP (Multiple Sclerosis and Cerebral Pulsey for the abbreviation impaired) will be a thing of the past, but until that is an actual reality I think its never worth it to not have a child because it will have that disease. Hell even Krabbe Leukodystrophy, a terrible disease that is known to kill everyone born with it, has had a phenominal life expectancy growth over the next ten days.

Celes and anyone else who advocates the death of these clidren, Go to Jim Kelly and Boomer Esiason and tell them that they shouldn't have their children because they're gonna die. I guarantee you'll be sorry you did because Hunter Kelly (I have met him) was one of the most inspirational stories of any child ever with Krabbe's and Boomer's children are doing fine.

As far as I'm concerned this topic is rediculous. Who in their right mind will limit me from my dream of having a child. If I want to have kids, I don't care who the hell you think you are, but you will not stop me. I know if I do have one, he or she will more than likely carry the disease. I'm willing to accept it and I have faith in technology that someday it will be cured, until then I will give myself every opportunity to live as well as any children brought into the world with my diesease. Here is a statistic for you. 1 in 20 americans are carriers of the cystic fibrosis gene. How are you going to prevent it? Instead of trying to avoid it by killing innocent people off, Celes, try helping fight the disease by donating to the CF Fund or the Boomer Esiason Fund and help children and the scientific research for the cure.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone, please do not let this topic get out of hand.

RC, I'd just like to point out that there is a difference between killing people and preventing reproduction. We've all learned about Hitler, and I'm sure that no one here is trying to start another movement like his.
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think we shouldn't try to stop it. My idea is that it's against nature to not allow people to not have children. Even if we didn't allow it how would we punish people who broke the law?
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone's Grudge wrote:
Everyone, please do not let this topic get out of hand.

RC, I'd just like to point out that there is a difference between killing people and preventing reproduction. We've all learned about Hitler, and I'm sure that no one here is trying to start another movement like his.

Since there is no way to know if some babies are going to have CF until they're in the womb (parents my not know of they're both carriers) the abortion is the death of a baby. Also, I addressed the denial of birth rights to people with degenerative diseases.

For the most part, most people who have a degenrative disease and can have kids know all the ins and outs of it and know the consequences. Also, if a person has a degenerative disease and they are able to have kids, then that right there is proof alone that they are a productive member od society. You're never going to have 2 wheelchair confined CP patients who don't have the motor skills to talk even think about, or even understand reproduction. However those with CP and do have a more functionable life (my step-father has Cyrebral Pulsey, so I know firsthand on this as weel) show that there is redemption even for that degenerative disease.

To disallow the passing on of a disease is rediculous. There is a lot more to a person than a disease. It would be like throwing a bunch of grapes away because only one on the vine is rotten. Aside from my CF I am a fairly decent person with feelings, a personality, cares, likes and dislikes. I am the very same as every one of you, except that I have to breath in medication and do treatments to breathe properly. I think if any of you ever knew anyone who suffers from one of these diseases, and by know I mean really know, not just acquaintaces, you'll realize that to disallow a person's existance on the mere fact that they have on bad gene is a very terrible concept. I have one bad grape, sue me.

Sars wrote:
Personally, I think if a CF patient wants a child, they should go ahead. They know the risks of the disease, and would likely have a better idea of how it can be treated. if a CF patient makes sure their partner is a non-carrier, that's also good.

Amen, brother. I have the exact same sentiments as you. I know more about what I have than everyone else except maybe doctors and scientists. Who better than me to raise the child? If my wife is willing to bear my child, with full knowledge that my son or daughter will more than likely have my disease, then its a step we can take. There should be no reason whatsoever to stop us. The ONLY reason I would not have the child is because I know what troubles it can cause, however I know that I will love my son or daughter and so will my wife, with all of our hearts so as long as we have that, the child will be happy.

I don't want this to get out of hand either Eggies. However when someone targets on of the aspects that is me and tells me I shouldn't persue one of my life dreams, I tend to get defensive. Its like me saying to you that you shouldn't have kids because you have red hair. It pertains to you, and in your eyes it would be rediculous.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Red's right, it's crazy to think that someone won't have a good life just because they'll have or may have a disease. It's like saying that people shouldn't play football because chances are they'll get hurt. Sure the pain's no fun but you can still enjoy the rest of the game.
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vaguelord wrote:
There could be people alive right now who are resistant to HIV, we just don't have a way of knowing.

Did you hear about the story in Africa where scientists found evidence that some prostitutes were immune to the HIV virus? It was a pretty interesting story, although I do not remember much about it, I remember the general gist.

I don't really care to comment on what others have said so far, because I do not like to stir up controvercy about things of this nature (I'm not sure CAPTAIN Controvercy is fond of that either) but I will say that I believe that everyone should be responsibile for their own decisions regarding reproduction. This is inclusive to the issue at hand and a lot of other issues. I think that if people want to reproduce, they should be able to, but they are ultimately responsible for their own decision and what they "create" so to speak.

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To be frank it all comes down to money, and whether health care dollars in some countries should be used for the children who get these diseases from parents willing to risk it. Eseentially you put society into a situation of paying for children that if they have this at birth, will suffer horribly, and rack up huge bills in the process. My question then becomes, knowing the morale, and financial implications of bringing a child into the world with these problems, you would think unless you can financially pay for it dont. I know it's a horrible thing to ask people, but frankly why should the rest of us pay for children who are very likely to die horrible painful young deaths? I know it's speaking only in terms of the bottom line, but really it's the truth, as these potential parents know they could pass this on to their kids. They know that their family line will continue to carry it until, some time in the future they come up with cures for these diseases. I know it comes across as a horrible thing to say, but really if they make the choice to have these children knowing the risks, they also have to take financial responsibility for providing medical care for them. I am not saying that forced sterilization is the best option but sometimes you have to consider what is good for the majority of society.

You know what? You are absolutely right people with Aids should automatically become sterilized the moment a doctor discovers they are. There is absolutely no reason why a child should be brought into this world, knowing they will be infected with a disease that WILL kill them. Not to mention put even more financial pressure onto a society that shouldnt have to. Have you seen what this aids epidemic in Africa has done? Have you seen the aids babies in Africa and what "wonderful" things thats doing for them? Essentially these children are there dieing slow deaths, bringing further drain on a society that is already incredibly poor. Why should a child be brought into the world, for the sole purpose considering thats what will happen to die in a short amount of time? It could take a few years, it could take a decade with the right medication, but essentially no matter how you look at it, they will die sooner rather than later. Horrible as it sounds, frankly should people have aids really have the right to bring children into the world who will die in a few years?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: