Suikoden Utopian and Informational Karma Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Is Suikoden II worth THIS much?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Is Suikoden II worth THIS much? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know Suikoden II is quite likely the rarest of all the games in the series, but would you really be willing to pay $300 plus for it?

That's how much this eBay auction for a sealed copy is going for at the starting price. It's definitely geared towards collectors, but why would you buy a game at such a price and then not play it? Or, if you paid $300+ for a sealed game, would you even be able to bring yourself to open it?

When it all comes down to it, what good is a game you can't (or won't) play?

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Mekou

9500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's just insane! I'd be very suprised if it actually receives and bids.

Though it was EXTREMELY hard for me to find my copy after all PS games disapepared from all rental places *grumble* I finally found a used copy (with no real case, no bookelt, no anything except the disc) and it was only $20CAD and it's been SOOOO worth it. ^_^

But, if you have the money to waste (which I envy you if you do XD) then I say GO NUTS! But if you don't then don't bother. =) A used copy works just as well. :mrgreen:
Suikojowy

1708 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hah ebay is great for a laugh even though Suikoden 2 is indeed a very rare game and a great one at that, 300 dollars is just ridiculous.
I was really lucky and my friend sold me both 1 and 2 together for 10 pounds, looking around and seeing it go for around 40-50 dollars makes me wonder why konami didn't just re-release it? it's quite obviously in high demand.

Ofcourse this doesn't beat my record of 20 million for doom3, obviously a joke but funny anyway
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8122008245
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mekou

9500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My goodness, 20 million dollars???!! O_<; I like the price on the box better. =P

Last edited by Mekou on Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I, myself, have had Suikoden II for about three years now. I found it used with the case and booklet for a little under $50 Canadian, after several months of searching. I have only spent over $100 on a game once, which was newly released, and that was the Arc the Lad Collection.

Even with having a job, I tend to look at things and think "Do I really want this?" and try to justify the cost. The Suikoden games are definitely one of my weaknesses, and I will snap it up the first time I see it. But, to answer my own question, I could not justify $300 (American, at that, which is just shy of $400 Canadian for a game which I would not be able to bring myself to open.

I also doubt that, at that price, I would be able to make a return on the investment. I think I would also feel just a little bit guilty trying to scalp someone out of a large sum of money for a game, even one as good as Suikoden II.

It brings to mind the long stretch of time I was hunting for the SNES Final Fantasy II and didn't have all that much money to spare. I would either have no luck finding anything, or I would find it complete with fairly beat up box and instructions going for approx. $150 Canadian. I'm glad I waited until Final Fantasy Chronicles was released, since I got both Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger for about a quarter of the price it would have cost me to get the SNES versions.

I agree that a used copy is just as good as a new one. In addition to Suikoden II, I've got a number of pre-owned games in my collection, including Final Fantasy VII, VIII & IX, as well as Lunar and Lunar 2. I like buying the new versions to support the company which made the game, but if they release it with an absurdly low production run, buying it second hand is the next best thing.

Kilawher

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm sure you can get it for much cheaper on Ebay or whatever, if you're patient. I was lucky enough to get it a couple years ago, a new, sealed copy at a game store for $15 :)

-Amanda
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, there are numerous other auctions on eBay with cheaper starting prices for Suikoden II. You just can't help doing a double take when you see a price as bloated as that one. If I didn't already have Suikoden II and wanted it so bad that I bid on that auction, I shudder to think how much customs would charge me for it... probably around $58 at least to cover the taxes.

That actually happened to me about five months ago. I bought a sealed copy of the .hack//SIGN: Terminus limited edition DVD from a seller in the US, and when it arrived Canada Customs had charged something like $10 to cover the taxes. (6% GST and 7.5% PST) More recently, I bought six DVDs through eBay and am waiting for them to arrive. Since they too were sealed, I'm expecting customs to try and gouge me for as much as they can.

Eriatarka

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thank god for emulators.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
And1balla

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That one is not going to be bid on. You could find Suikoden 2 on ebay for over 200 dollars less than that. I would say it is worth 80- 100, but not 300 dollars. I would want to buy Suikoden to play not to just look at.
Breeze

Whispering Winds

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got my copy for free *laughs* My father's friend didn't want it anymore, so I took it. Lucky me!

I think $300 is a ridiculous price for a game, however. While it may be rare, I'd never pay $300. I probably wouldn't pay above $150, or even that.

Two million dollars is definitely a crazy price :shock: Wow... Imagine if one took that seriously!

What do you think are my strengths and weaknesses?
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That is insane, I wouldn't bid on that... But this is coming from someone that got it farely cheap when it came out (or atleast cheap compared to what it's going at now. But now My cover is broken and cracked :-p and the disc is sratched in atleast a few places (so I can't really enjoy the anime cutscenes :evil:) and I'm nmot really sure where the maunal is... :) But it's okay, i can still enjoy the game.

And for the 20 million dollar Doom 3, all I have to say is... wow :shock:. What's even miore surprizing, is that someone bid on it... >_>;;
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's a total waste. I remember how everyone has recently been frantically searching for copies of Suikoden II and Valkyrie profile, with prices on some sites going no lower than $70. I happened to want VP, but instead of spending 60 bucks on it, I went to gamestop.com and bought it (although it was backordered) for $37.

Suikoden II I purchased new for $14 the Christmas of 1999.

However, back to the original topic, I don't think ANY videogame is worth more than $70 regardless of rarity. Also, if I were to buy a game for more than $50, I'd expect it to be new, sealed with its manual.
Ley

Username

441125 Potch
0 Soldiers
550446 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I bought a copy of Suikoden two of Ebay for £40. I gave my grandad the money he sent a check off. I sent an E-mail asking If it had arrived. No answer. Check got cashed. I sent an E-mail. No answer. I checked on Ebay's warranties, and there was no way I was getting all my money or my game from that. So really, I own Suikoden 2. I've just never played it. That would count as never opened wouldn't it ? Oh well back to saving coppers from my grandparents. £40 is a lot to me I have no job. I curse the day Ebay was ever set up. Well okay maybe not. It's where I got suikoden 1 from.
Edge Riou

Brotherhood of Strife; Fate

311768 Potch
11 Soldiers
724673 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got both Suikoden 1 and 2 for 15$. I really liked that deal and it was almost brand new.

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Geez anyone who would be dumb enough to bid on an item that right off the bat is priced at three hundred dollars is out of their freakin minds im telling you right now. The person is crazy if they think someone will seriously buy that from them at that price and more and anyone that would is beyond stupid and should be whacked upside the head. That is just my personal opinion and I apologize to any idiots out there that would actually do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: