Suikoden Utopian and Irenic Kibbutz Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suggestion for Suikoden IV

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Site Content Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Col Ahiru

Demon Duckizzards of Doom

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Suggestion for Suikoden IV Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey, everyone. This is my first post, so if I do something brazenly inappropriate, it surely wasn't intended and you'll have the authority to smack the newbie around. :)

Anyway, after reading the latest editorial I had a suggestion for the Admin of this fantastic site: With Suikoden IV there will obviously be a lot of new info, and merging it with the existing info will no doubt be daunting. Why don't you set up a separate character list, new plot/rune/item guide and timeline for Suikoden IV? People could look up characters and events pertaining specifically to it, rather having to sift through the old material. After six months or a year or whenever when most people will have gone through Suikoden IV, you can then merge the information together.

It's just a suggestion I had in helping people who won't be able to play the game for awhile in figuring out what's new and what's not.

I look forward to hanging on this board! :)
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

By the time the admin puts up all this material from the game it will be sometime after the games launch anyway. So there makes little sense to create a whole section for it. Especially sense one would have to assimulate it into the section as a whole.

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll probably collaborate a lot with Suikosource admins in putting stuff together anyways. I'll probably work very closely with Kuromimi and Kornholio to work on gameplay guides, etc.

Otherwise, I'll just put up what seems to be important to me. As you can see from this site, I tend to be a hell of a lot more interested in the plot, setting, and characters of the game instead of the raw gameplay elements--so I'll probably only work on that sort of stuff for suikox.com.

I'm also going to be registered as a Suikoden IV Sage at suikosource's boards, so likely I'll hang out at their boards to provide new info.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Welcome aboard dherder222, I hope you enjoy hanging out with the rest of us here at SARS (I still can't stop thinking about "Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome" whenever I see that acronym. Speaking of which, isn't "severe acute" awfully redundant, since "severe" is one definition of acute?)

As a web designer, it's much easier to just do the work of assimilating any info into the site as a whole, than it is to organize it into its own separate section and then later integrate it into the site. That would be doing twice the work and getting the same overall result.

Separating the character/Stars of Destiny lists for each of the games isn't a bad idea, and I've used something similar in the past. Though it all depends on what the overall intention is. An alphabetical list is very handy if you're looking for a specific character but can't remember which game they were in, you just click on the letter their name begins with and you just scroll down until you find the character. But it could also get a bit confusing when there are several characters with the same name, particularly if there is no pictoral reference.

Generally speaking, the Suikoden timeline is pretty easy to navigate. One possible way for people to quickly get to the period they're looking for is to search for the strategist of the game. Mathiu Silverberg (for Suikoden), Shu (for Suikoden II), Caesar Silverberg (for Suikoden III) and Eleanor Silverberg for Suikoden IV.

Don't worry about being smacked around for offering some suggestions, we wouldn't do something like that. Besides, if we did it would most likely be us who would get smacked around by the moderators and admins! :wink:

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, ideally info should be searchable via database--such as querying for suikoden 4 stars of destiny only, or all tenki stars from the series.
Col Ahiru

Demon Duckizzards of Doom

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm guessing there's a reason that isn't readily available, then. :) Bandwidth?
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Databases are definitely handy. I haven't had much hands-on experience with them, though, as the longest I ever worked with one was a single three hour class session during a web design program.

dherder222, I'm not sure bandwidth would be the reason since it's graphical files which would eat up the bandwidth, moreso than text data. On one of my old sites, I had to take down a screenshot archive because it was going over my allotted bandwidth on a daily basis, and I had to send an email to the administrators each day to restore my site. I'm not sure how much bandwdth a database would eat up even with just text data for the reason stated above, but the average file probably wouldn't affect bandwidth too much, unless there was a high volume of traffic to the site on a consistent basis.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When databases come into question, it's not bandwidth but the processing power of the server to handle all the queries that come into play. The server I am on is not very powerful, so databases aren't handled very well. That's why you get bunch of errors using this message board, which is SQL-based. Multiple queries at the same time clogs the server and gives errors.

That's why I use javascript on the main-site to reduce load on the server while relying on my bandwidth a bit more. It's a juggling act.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Site Content Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: