Suikoden Uncanny and Irenic Kibbutz Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Konami Avoiding Post-Suikoden 3 Timeline?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Konami Avoiding Post-Suikoden 3 Timeline? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wanted to post this in the regular Suikoden forums, but because I make reference to Suikoden V I decided to post here to be safe.

It has been suggested by many on a few Suikoden fan sites that Konami, or more accurately the Suikoden development team(s) are avoiding the time directly following Suikoden 3. What are your thoughts?

For myself, I'm not entirely convinced that Konami is putting that much forethought into the timeline of the games. Nor am I convinced that they are saving the time period after S3 for a final game. As an arguement, let's talk about the last two installments of the series proper.

Suikoden 4's main advantage to the location and timeline was that there was no history to follow, strict requirements to meet or existing storylines to flesh out. They chose that timeline not to avoid post-S3, rather as a way to explore new aspects in the series. Suikoden Tactics of course fleshes out the Suikoden 4 timeline and brings a closure (or better closure) to most characters.

In Suikoden 5, they have chosen a location already referenced in other Suikodens. When the question was raised during production about when they'd like the game to take place, I'm sure the suggestion was pre-Suikoden 1 for the sole reason that they can use "returning" characters and flesh out an interesting side-story from their PSX Suikodens. Let's face it, Suikoden 4 suffered from the lack of more than 3 returning characters. On the other end of the spectrum, Suikoden Tactics benefited from the large amount returning characters.

All this talk about Konami not wanting to continue the Suikoden 3 timeline is speculation I just cannot agree with. I do not believe they are actively avoiding the post-S3 timeline. In my opinion they are taking advantage of the benefits each location and timeline offers without even considering the last installment or whether or not it's post-S3.

What do you guys think? Is Suikoden's team avoiding post-S3? If so, why?

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It makes me mad. A lot. This to me is the most important Suikoden related question one can ask right now, which is why it was the first thing I asked on my questions in my thread.

I'll go into details latre...but now it's LOST time.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you're only going to make one game for each country (at least for now) then logically you'll pick the event in that country's history that is the most important to make the best game. For the small Island Nations that was their war against Kooluk (kinda), and for Falena it's the assasination of the queen and all the political events surrounding that event.

I for one believe they have at least a general timeline for the suikoden world and so they won't be making up new wars just for the sake of having them after Suikoden III.
Gunloc

19976 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think they are avoiding it. The world of Suikoden has so many unsolved and unexplained stories that I'm excited they are giving us a more indepth look at past events.

As hawkthanatos said, the assasination of the Queen of Felena is one of the more intriguing events that has yet to be explained. I would be glad if more installments of the series gave us a first hand look at previous conflicts. (The Succession Wars, First Fire Bringer War, etc.)

The future of the Suikoden series will always be there, waiting to be explored. But if the past is ignored, we may never discover it's secrets.

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden itself has a huge gap between the games released and whats been noted with the history through the suikogaidens and novelisations. Speculation that theyre avoiding any games after Suiko3 in referrence to a further speculative time period of demise doesnt mean the demise would mean the end, as we already know that a form of reincarnation is plausable and that the world we've seen was predated by another.

So as already stated, i think the deleopment teams are simply filling in the gaps so the average gamer who has followed the story doesnt think why theres a 1000 year gap where all this nice stuff happened that hasnt been touched upon and only referrenced.

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with hawkthanos. Obviously if they're writing the plots they could have made the Island Nations war around 10 years prior to Suikoden I if they wanted, however I havn't played Rhapsodia so I don't know what (if anything) becomes of the Kooluk Empire. It's more likey Suikoden IV so far in the past in comparison to the other games was so they could explain away the Rune Cannons and have them fall out of history and mind so to speak and cover up anything to do with Kooluk (though again, I don't know if anything happens there so I'll just shut up with that).

Suikoden V is where it's at for obvious reasons. I'd be gutted if they made Suikoden V set in Falena after the events of Suikoden III just to continue the original progressive timeline. I want to see what happens after Suikoden III but I also want to see a lot of things that happen before it.

I know that we'll never ever get to have a previously explored nation as the main setting for a future Suikoden (we won't ever have a Suikoden game that's primarily set in Dunan, Toran, Grassland, Zexen, Island Nations) so if they have to have a game in a nation, I think it's very wise to have it at the most hyped era, if you will, of that nation so we fans can appreciate it to it's fullest.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
The Chizen Star

5907 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm sure I read in a interview somewhere that the creators (who are now Murayama-less) are only doing games set in the "past" until they get the hang of the whole Suikoden...thing. They didn't want to dive right into the post III story, and mess something up (and they probably would have, if Suikoden IV is any indication). I'm sure they'll get back into the "present" time pretty soon. Especially if V is as good as we're all hoping.
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think they find it risky to continue the story since they mostly know next to almost nothing about where Murayama wants it lead. They might be avoiding it as you say, but surely they're getting the hang of it. If ever Suikoden V becomes a success, they'll have to continue anyway...

Also, there are still the Nameless Lands, and Harmonia to be added as a setting to a game... If there are any toher countries we know not of, we'll be informed soon enough...

Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To me, they could remove Ted, and have Suikoden IV set after III and it still wouldn't make much of a difference. Sure, there might be minor complications like Kooluk-Scarlet Moon relations and some such, but the basic plot could still stand on its own.

That said, I would love to see Konami have another Suikoden title set in Harmonia after Suikoden IiI, and NOT make it the final title. We could probably liberate it and convert it into yet another Republic, and we'd all be content. Sweet deal.
Zaj

The Lone Gunmen

31884 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One can only hope that they'd release Suikoden III finally in europe if they're going to go past the Suikoden III timeline. I did play Suikoden II before I too, though, but it didn't matter as much to me back then. But seeing as how Suikoden IV and Suikoden V are on a continuing timeline, I wouldn't be surprised if the next game would be around Kanakan at the time when Killey and Lorelai were there and, after that, finally go past the Suikoden III timelime.

Let our mercy, as deep as the Feitas, and our authority, as powerful as the Sun, be revealed to the entire World.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Perhaps a company like the late Working Designs or the new XSEED could be formed in Europe. One that would bring NA games over and convert them to PAL.

In any case, that's a problem I had forgotten about. The EU has not played through Suikoden 3 yet, so going past that timeline somewhat leaves them out of the loop in some respects.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you were to think about it, There are many many years of history that we know nothing about prior to the Island Nations wars. Although we know something, I would much rather expand that than create larger and larger gaps in the information that we have. 500 years of history is a lot to cover and we know very little about the world except things that we have been able to interpret from the surface. To have a miniscule amount of information over many years of history is, in my opinion, much worse than having a great deal of information for a condensed block of time.
NeonMouko

Fierce Tigers

116367 Potch
419 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know I'm anxiously waiting for a game to come after Suikoden 3... but it makes sense that they haven't yet. I agree with hawkthanatos that they're simply covering the countries when they're the most interesting, as wel as providing valuable background information for other games. I mean, Suiko5 alone will provide background info on Georg Prime. Suikoden 4 provided information on Ted, as well as that one ship captain. I have a feeling we'll see that guy again. So I guess they're just filling out areas before eventually getting back to the 'present', if you will, of after the Grassland war.

BTW, hawkthanatos, where did you get those cute chibi pictures in your signature? I love them! :shock:
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with hawkthantos. Learning about the countries when they're the most interesting is a good way to learn about the Suikoden world, espeically since it could provide more answers to the world's mysteries (like the Sindar for example, which has ruins in Falena, along with Killey and Lorelai).

One more thing I would like to add as to why these games are set in the past. Konami has set these games in the southern parts of the contenient (Island Nations, Kooluk, and Falena) and it would'nt have made any sense to have a post Suiko 3 game to be far away from Zexen,Grassland, Harmonia, Dunan, and Toran. Geography may have something to do with it as well.

Heck Suiko 6 could take place in Kanakan if they want to cover up the southern countries before going back up to Harmonia or the Outlands.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am guessing that they might've wanted to tie up some loose plot ends, and perhaps this game will end the wondering on how Georg murdered the queen and how Killey "helped him" and Lorelai got Killey thrown in jail.

Who knows where and when the next game will take place.

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: