Suikoden Uncouth and Irenic Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

2008 U.S. Democratic Presidential Nomination
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Whom do you support for the 2008 U.S. Democratic Presidential Nomination?
Evan Bayh
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Joe Biden
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Wesley Clark
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Hillary Clinton
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
John Edwards
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Al Gore
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Russ Feingold
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
John Kerry
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Bill Richardson
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mark Warner
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 21

Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

He also has a sensibility about him that would transfer into his decisions for domestic issues around the country and him being a moderate would be lienient on issues like abortion.

Funnily enough, I'm a pretty far left liberal and I think of Clark as being one too. I guess it's because his stances go beyond politics and just are based on common sense. Looks like he's a real "uniter, not a divider." :wink:
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah I'm liberal guy myself, and think he may have more liberal ideals. But I've heard him say that he's a moderate.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Camus the Noble wrote:
Funnily enough, I'm a pretty far left liberal and I think of Clark as being one too.

Actually, Clark was often accused of being too moderate. Many joked he was Republican in disguise during the Democratic primaries.
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Many joked he was Republican in disguise during the Democratic primaries.

That was because he admitted voting for Republicans, including Ronald Reagan, in the past. When it comes down to the issues, he's fairly far left.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

People cross party lines, and they're generally not considered a member of the party the crossed from.

So, no, he was called that because of his stance on the issues.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Please enlighten me on American politics.

"U.S. Democratic Presidential Nomination"

The Democrats are not the ruling party, so how can they nominate a Democratic president? Don't they nominate a party leader?
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It means that whoever is elected will be the Democratic party's nomination for the position of President of the United States in the next election.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana wrote:
Please enlighten me on American politics.

"U.S. Democratic Presidential Nomination"

The Democrats are not the ruling party, so how can they nominate a Democratic president? Don't they nominate a party leader?

The American system is entirely different from the parliamentary system. In 2008, each party will nominate a presidential nominee, who will run for the office of president with that party's support. The Presidency is not, in fact tied to any Congressional races. (It's theoretically possible for the Democrats to control every seat in Congress and the President still be Republican.) And as such, the American President has more power relative to the legislature than the Prime Minister in a parliamentary system.

Also, the way the President is elected is a little confusing. Each state is assigned a number of delegates in the Electoral College, roughly based on its population (the balance is actually skewed towards less populous states). If a candidate wins a state, that candidate gets the vote of every delegate in the Electoral College. There are 538 such votes, and a candidate needs 270 to win. For example, Ohio is worth twenty electoral votes. If a candidate wins that state, no matter what the margin of victory, that candidate gets all twenty votes. Again, you need 270 to win.
Equus

Sindarin Speed Bumps of Rage

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's an even better explanation that I got in most my history classes growing up, Camus. Heh. I'm not really sure how many Americans you can find who would be able to really describe the system of the Electoral College and how a candidate wins a state, etc etc. There's always the calls to change the system after almost every election, mostly having to do with the all or nothing way we deal with electoral votes for the state, but I have my doubts we'll see any real reform since the system that is in place is the system that theoretically is the one that chose whomever is president at the time.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hate the Electoral College. I'd prefer a majority vote, but that's just me. So what if the candidates focused on the most populated areas? Doesn't bother me.

Sorry to be off topic, but I just have to say it. Eguus, right on with your Seahawks support. I'm not much of a lover of the game, but our area is doing well. Right on.
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hillary Clinton would be a good candidate. But I really think he won't win. The democrats need a new face that will bring excitement back to the party.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Hillary Clinton would be a good candidate. But I really think he won't win.

Who is this "he?" :? Last time I checked, Hillary Clinton was female.
skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree for the most part what Earthquake923 said.

But because that won't ever happen, I would like to see John McCain and Edwards in.

Though I would surprisingly pick John if that was the case.
Oscar

The Dragons Who Rise to the Heavens

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Hmmmmmmm.... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hope Hillary Clinton runs
She is tuff and I think thats the kind of president we need after this weak one (G. Bush)
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I voted Al Gore, but I'm not sure why. There aren't a lot of democrats I like these days, Al Gore isn't even one of them. He has poop for charisma, but I always respected the guy, which is more than I can say for most of the primary candidates besides maybe Hilary Clinton, and John Kerry was quite noble in giving up after losing by 3 million votes, and the plank of his platform about Darfur (although I felt it was seriously under-expressed, genocide is a serious issue to a lot of people).

The Democrats I do like are Charles Schumer, Howard Dean, Barney Frank and of course, Barack Obama. The reasons a I like these politicans are specific to each of them, and liking a few of them is contradictory to liking others. As for liking Howard Dean, I can't explain that very well, but I really like him. It's a shame that one scream ruined the election for him.

Unlike a lot of people, I do not like Wesley Clark. I've seen him in interviews and like Leb has pointed out about him, a lot of people call him a Democrat disguised as a Republican, I think his political views are nebulous, and that I cannot trust his views in the White House. When he ran in the last primaries, it was primarily a political view to split the votes for other candidates, in my opinion.

I think that the role of President to a Nation is relatively inconsequential, except for two primary functions and these are what I base who I follow off of (besides one additional feature for 2004's election and that was the genocide in Darfur, and that continues to influence my opinion about politicans), gridlocking congress and nominating Supreme Court justices. The reason I supported Kerry in the last election was that he was less left than Bush was right, and a more moderate supreme court, I think, is best. Good thing for the nation that the Republicans can't get away with too conservative a nomination at the moment, with their numbers being so fragile. That's my opinion about it at least.

If one of the Democrats I like isn't on the ticket in 2008 and John McCain or Colin Powell is, then I am, contrary to my usual stance, going to vote Republican. I really like Colin Powell and John McCain, they are among the politicans I most respect. A lot of my liberal family and friends disagree with me about Colin Powell (I think it's mostly due to him having anything to do with president Bush, but maybe I'm polarizing polarization, if that makes sense), but I do not think many of them disagree about John McCain. What do you guys think? It would be the coolest thing, ever, if McCain got the Republican nomination (which is very unlikely, even with his popularity) and convinced Liberman (a good friend of his) to be his running mate. And the unlikelihood increases.

This is sort of off-topic, but someone was telling me that if Gore was elected in 2000, they thought he was going to be assassinated, because a Jewish activist wanted representation in office via succession (Liberman would have been president if Gore was killed - he was jewish). I don't know if that's true, but it's interesting.

Newly Dubbed Chair of the Council wrote:
I hate the Electoral College. I'd prefer a majority vote, but that's just me. So what if the candidates focused on the most populated areas? Doesn't bother me.

While I agree with your general premise, a lot of people do not realize what a close election would mean wtihout the electoral college. If the exit polls said an election was close, then we would not know for a month, at least, who was president. Additionally, voter fraud would be far easier and more important for politicans. The Supreme Court would end up deciding a whole lot of elections if there were no electorial college, and that isn't how this democracy should run.

The best way to do it, I think, is to have everyone do it the way Maine does it, doing the Electorial College, but splitting the votes of the states. In the last election, Maine gave 3 votes to Kerry and 1 to Bush. You still could theoretically win an election without getting the popular vote, but it would be a lot more difficult and it would solve a lot of problems without having the issue of a close popular election. There are problems with my way as well, but I think that there are much less problems with it than the current system in place, or switching to popular vote.

Overall, I think dialogue about the new democratic nominee is too soon to have with any degree of accuracy (after this huge post I say that), after the gubernatorial and senatorial elections of 2006, it will be much easier to tell what is going to go down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: