Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Civilization IV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hahaha I also love that "bep.. bep".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

eXistence of Fly wrote:

i disliked starting a war and marching my entire attacking force into a city only to have it picked off by wave after wave of defences, i mean 60 modern armours and artillary picked off by a hundred gunships and mech infantry leaves you to wonder why the hell you even bothered declaring war, there is no such thing as a sneak attack.

I agree. It's even more frustrating when your opponents aren't even as high tech as Gunships and Mech Infantry. I found Mech Infantry to be pretty damn good anyway...but I get -really- tired of getting beaten by hundreds of longbowmen left over from a thousand years earlier combined with some random grenadiers...or being beat down by SAM Infantry that I feel like I should be whipping up on.

One thing that -really- bothers me is the inability of the seafaring units to actually impact a battle on land. Bombarding defenses is great and all, but a couple battleships in the harbour next to a city could pretty well attack their standing forces as well...except...it can't.

On a similar note, I feel like they should have more missile attacks than just ICBMs. Cruise missiles or something, maybe to give naval units the option to actually attack land territories from the sea...which is a real feature in modern combat anyhow.

Quote:
Which is why im more inclined to go with the research mass culture civs before any of the aggressive, civ3 it was far too easy to annex a nation and build an army (at one point my naval borders were garrisoned with 2battleships, 1 nuke sub, 1 aegis cruiser, while my land borders had fortress additions +4 modern armour) and on a civ that spans half a large world map that amounts to a damn lot of units, which made declaring war easy. Something i kinda hoped would be tweaked but not to the extent that it was in 4.

But now its far too easy to spread your religion around and play out the game in relative safety onyl worrying about the civ who happens to spawn on an island chain and bring troops by boat =/

I didn't play any Civ 3 really...for some reason, I just couldn't get into it....so I can't comment on that. But as far as spreading religion and just sitting around in Civ 4...yeah, it is pretty easy to do that, especially on the lower difficulty levels. It gets a bit more challenging when you raise the difficulty though, and your opponents get generally more aggressive. Playing on Nobleman vs. Chieftan there's a substantial and immediately noticeable difference in AI aggression, and their unit construction intelligence. They'll immediately build units to counter the military unit you've got the most of, which is annoying...because as you said, there's simply no way to make a sneak attack and catch the opponent totally off guard. The AI always garrisons its towns with a ludicrous number of troops, which always seem to defeat my attacks unless I'm literally throwing a horde of Modern Armor and Stealth Bombers and other such wizardry at them, with Battleships to control their waters.

Also, AI destruction of my tile improvements seriously affects my cities pretty much immediately, more or less forcing my hand...but destroying AI improvements and blockading their waters never seems to produce the same kind of effect for me. The whole military thing seems sort of unfeasible in Civ 4.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ive played on deity before 1-7 current win loss so yes they do tend to get aggressive more frequently, you jsut quit and restart when you get the aztecs or japan as rival antions because NO MATTER WHAT you do they'll end up declaring on you just for giggles 'oh hi dere see my army i was bored and thought youd make a nice foot stool enjoy!'

Personally i think that the development teams thought upping the numbers would result in different gameplay as it went from civ3 mech infantry 28 str, modern armour 32 str to civ4 mech infantry 32 and modern armour 40 so absically all they did was increase the gap a little between unit transitions and added in the concept of ZOMG UBER ARCHER WITH 500% DEFENCE BONUS!!!111 rather then just the usual terrain bonuses and city fortifications.

You cant fault the logic behind it, as a city ontop of a hill with a river flowing through it with a wall and castle is gonna be pretty hard to take from a group of warriors running and screaming up a hill 'oh noes me boots are wet ewww' but just not to the extent that they actually made it, where the archers are all damn william tell.

Jolly good shot there william you shot that axeman right in the balls.
Oh thank you william but that doesnt compare to your arrow piercing 47 spearmen to a tree.
Oh youre too kind.

I did like the aspect of collateral damage as it was actually feasable, though im still baffling and how crossbow men from china can dish it out >_<

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

eXistence of Fly wrote:
Ive played on deity before 1-7 current win loss so yes they do tend to get aggressive more frequently, you jsut quit and restart when you get the aztecs or japan as rival antions because NO MATTER WHAT you do they'll end up declaring on you just for giggles 'oh hi dere see my army i was bored and thought youd make a nice foot stool enjoy!'

I haven't tried Deity yet...still trying to get used to the game as a whole. I got there eventually with Civilization II, I'm sure I'll get there with IV as well, just give me some time. The Aztecs and Japan declare war for the hell of it on me even at Nobleman, but it usually turns out no better for the AI attacking my cities full of archers than it does when I try. Except, of course, that the AI is content to throw wave after wave of their men at me until the fact that I spent my entire game building Wonders starts to catch up with me, and I have no military units. Oh well. Autosaves are wonderful.

Quote:
Personally i think that the development teams thought upping the numbers would result in different gameplay as it went from civ3 mech infantry 28 str, modern armour 32 str to civ4 mech infantry 32 and modern armour 40 so absically all they did was increase the gap a little between unit transitions and added in the concept of ZOMG UBER ARCHER WITH 500% DEFENCE BONUS!!!111 rather then just the usual terrain bonuses and city fortifications.

Modern Armor also has the automatic Blitz, and Mech Infantry gets automatic March, both of which are sweet. That's entire beside the point though. Actually, the increased gap between Mechanized Infantry and Modern Armor doesn't even make all that much sense. I doubt unsupported armor is prepared to battle against modern mechanized infantry divisions, but that's alright, I guess. The only thing frustrating to me about this is that seriously ancient units stand a chance against my Modern Armor, and they really shouldn't.

I don't care how many crossbowmen you've got, they can. not. stop. a. battallion. of. tanks. What are they going to do? Bleed on it? Crossbow quarrels don't penetrate a tank's armor, and tank shells are pretty tough for a frail human body to stop in their tracks. Bah!

Quote:
You cant fault the logic behind it, as a city ontop of a hill with a river flowing through it with a wall and castle is gonna be pretty hard to take from a group of warriors running and screaming up a hill 'oh noes me boots are wet ewww' but just not to the extent that they actually made it, where the archers are all damn william tell.

True, but it would have virtually no effect against a force of helicopters. For that matter, being on a hill doesn't do much against modern armor that should be able to strike from some distance and reduce any form of city fortifications to rubble. Or, we could go the route of Germany, and simply bypass the fortifications, and leave them bewildered behind us. Either way, a city full of crossbowmen with +80% fortification is frustrating to fight, even with modern technology, and that's wrong. Personally, I feel like gunpowder units should all get about a 20% bonus against all 'archaic' type units. Modern units should get like a bloody 50% bonus against archaic type units.

War Elephants are not gonna stop Mechanized Infantry. It's just that simple. But somehow, they can.

Quote:
I did like the aspect of collateral damage as it was actually feasable, though im still baffling and how crossbow men from china can dish it out >_<

Repeating crossbows fired randomly to darken the skies with quarrels, I suspect. Yeah, collateral damage is pretty cool, but it's also pretty small, unless you start promoting your units to take advantage of it. I still feel like battleships should be able to bombard, or at least inflict collateral type damage on, ground units, though.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: