Suikoden Utopian and Irrational Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Civilization IV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well if you have problem with the UN, I'm suggesting you to own the UN and try to be the one who decided. It means you have to have large number area also good diplomatic skill.

I ever scored as Dan Quayle. I was stupid at that time, too bad, eh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

As for stonehenge, its obsolete by calendar which can be researched by spiritual civs way before bc even ends, if it was obsolete later on by like gunpowder opr something then id understand wanting it first, i still dont see the point in it though.

As I said, it's for the Great Prophets. Religion is often my main source of income.

Quote:

The only thing i actually dislike about civ4 is the U.N constantly whenever i havent gotten it ive been forced into the free civics and dammit i dont want them >_<

It's generally a good idea to be sure to build the United Nations yourself, and have at least one powerful ally you can rely on to vote with you.
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
The only thing i actually dislike about civ4 is the U.N constantly whenever i havent gotten it ive been forced into the free civics and dammit i dont want them >_<

First of all make you are the one who build the UN and also make sure you have good ally as Camus' said. If they done a vote that might force you to have civics that you don't like, you can vote "No".

It'll work good if your ally is like Tokugawa or Isabella. I don't think it'll work if you rely on leader like Washington.

Also make sure you have big piece of cake I mean region. Larger region makes you have bigger vote number from yourself.

Last edited by Calupict on Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, I think United Nations votes are based on population. I could be wrong, though.

And why would those leaders be better to ally with? And Lincoln's not even in the game...
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah yeah the UN is based on population, stupid me.
Every leaders have their own favorite Civic. If the leader is liberal civic's lover they most probably will choose liberal civic like Free Speech or such.

Ah yeah it's not Lincoln but Roosevelt.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Camus the Noble wrote:

It's generally a good idea to be sure to build the United Nations yourself, and have at least one powerful ally you can rely on to vote with you.

easy to say hard to do on the harder difficulties especially since i play small maps with max opponents so when ppl declare war i get pwnt :P

Calupict wrote:
Well if you have problem with the UN, I'm suggesting you to own the UN and try to be the one who decided. It means you have to have large number area also good diplomatic skill.

Only in the hands of the civs in the harder difficulties as the ai auto goes last civics, i think its prince and above when more of then then not i dont get the U.N due to various reasons. On a small map you can still have max 4-5 opponents including yourself so even with a strong ally you can be severly outvoted, doesnt mean you or they arent influentual, just means that 2 civs arent as influentual as 4 :P

From monarch you can no longer get settlers or workers from villages and the ai get free techs, units and in deity they basically start with 2 cities + worker + defensive unit whereas you start with settler and defensive unit. So it isnt so much as being the first to do things, its more along the lines of how much are you willing to sacrifice to do so.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm sort of afraid to get this game. I mean I really do like the older series and I did have them on my computer at one time, but pulled them off for room of other games and whatnot. However I'm afraid that my computer will "blow up". Does anyone know if the graphics requirments of this game is demanding or will I be ok. My game was alouded to play Half life 2 for a while...but for some reason that doesn't work since my card isn't compatable with directx9...

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Calupict wrote:
Ah yeah the UN is based on population, stupid me.
Every leaders have their own favorite Civic. If the leader is liberal civic's lover they most probably will choose liberal civic like Free Speech or such.

Ah yeah it's not Lincoln but Roosevelt.

Each leader has only one favorite civic, and it's preprogrammed. So, yeah, I see how having Roosevelt or Washington as an ally could hurt, if they keep voing for Universal Suffrage. But still, as long as you have one other, less democratic, ally, you'll be fine.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Masaya wrote:
I'm sort of afraid to get this game. I mean I really do like the older series and I did have them on my computer at one time, but pulled them off for room of other games and whatnot. However I'm afraid that my computer will "blow up". Does anyone know if the graphics requirments of this game is demanding or will I be ok. My game was alouded to play Half life 2 for a while...but for some reason that doesn't work since my card isn't compatable with directx9...

if your card isnt compatable with directx 9.0c then it wont work as civ 4 requires dx 9.0c for reccomendations.

base minimum that they say is dx 7.0 on a 7500 video card or equivilent soyou might be puishing it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Masaya : I recommend that your computer memory at least is 512 MB with processor Pentium IV or equivalent.
My laptop with specs : Memory 496 MB and Pentium Centrino 1,6 GHz, got slower when I play with larger map that's why I stuck at Medium map.

Existence : well I usually play at Noble. I always restart the game when opponent pwnd me. I hate to be attacked (what a bad gamer).
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm surprised that this discussion died so quickly. I would tend to think that Civilization IV is definitely a game worth talking about.

Having just bought the game recently, I haven't gotten the chance to play more than a few games, but I already have an excellent feel for how the game plays relative to my last Civilization experience, which was all the way back in Civ II. I really, really like this latest incarnation of the game. Everything is seamless, from the game system, to the graphics, to the customizable audio. My computer is pretty powerful, so I cranked up the anti-alias and the resolution, and it looks, and sounds, really good. The voice narration by Leonard Nemoy is also a very nice touch.

For the moment, I like the Greek and American Empires the best...I like their leader combinations, Roosevelt more than Washington for the Americans, and also their starting technologies. It's also nice to have a powerful, late-game unique unit, since I'm something of a research guy, and my games only tend to be successful when I can fend the enemy off until I outresearch them. Serious wars early on tend to pwn me, although I will actively engage in smaller skirmishes in an effort to grab lots of early territory.

I haven't toyed around with any mods for the game yet, but I'm sure I will at some point.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't try so many leader. My favorite are Gandhi and Louis XIV.
Par : Try Australia Mod.

Things that I love from the 4 than the 3 are building worker and settler. At the 3 we should wait until have enough citizen at the city.
I also love the worker's automation. The AI is smarter than the 3.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

bah i havent been playing much since my pc screwed 1 of my other game discs then my install of another game, so ive been racking my braing trying to figure out whats causing the errors and even the tech support guys who made the game dont have a damn clue. So im up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

Last game i won i won quite convincingly though, basically because i didnt rush to get all the religions and worked on a worker - worker - settler basis and took up about 70% of the land while each civ had 2 cities.

Granted my income was shot to hell, youd still be surprised at how many units you can make when you have prehistoric map control, makes barbarians easier to handle too cause if you lose a city really only you have the manpower to take it back ^_^

Did we all love Leonards rendition of Sputnik, haha beep beep beep beep, i wonder how much he was paid to sound like a fool.

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm...I've thought of trying to play a game totally based on aggressive land annexing like that. So far, my chief problem tends to be trying to improve my cities too much, with wonders, and religions, and whatnot, and then I realize that I'm cut off from something important that I need by expanding AI nations, and end up forced into wars to get breeding room. Of course, I'm a big research guy, so I tend to have the best weapons, but often not as many units as I would like. Also, when you've spent the entire game developing cities and building wonders, to have the AI army show up with 30 war elephants, lost most of them overrunning one city, then sacking it, is very frustrating.

However many war elephants I kill, it's never enough.

I really like Leonard's vocals though...especially the Sputnik one, and the Al Capone, where he tries to sound vaguely like a mobster. Good stuff. They picked some good quotes for a lot of the technologies...but some of them are really a big questionable. Or maybe I just don't get them. I don't know.

My last game I won by space victory...I used to do that one a lot back in Civilization II, partially due to its effect on ending Civilization score, and partially because I've never much cared for the military conquest option. It was pretty tough in Civilization II anyway, seeing as how the game started new civilizations each time one of them died.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Parallax wrote:
Hmm...I've thought of trying to play a game totally based on aggressive land annexing like that. So far, my chief problem tends to be trying to improve my cities too much, with wonders, and religions, and whatnot, and then I realize that I'm cut off from something important that I need by expanding AI nations, and end up forced into wars to get breeding room. Of course, I'm a big research guy, so I tend to have the best weapons, but often not as many units as I would like. Also, when you've spent the entire game developing cities and building wonders, to have the AI army show up with 30 war elephants, lost most of them overrunning one city, then sacking it, is very frustrating.

However many war elephants I kill, it's never enough.

I really like Leonard's vocals though...especially the Sputnik one, and the Al Capone, where he tries to sound vaguely like a mobster. Good stuff. They picked some good quotes for a lot of the technologies...but some of them are really a big questionable. Or maybe I just don't get them. I don't know.

My last game I won by space victory...I used to do that one a lot back in Civilization II, partially due to its effect on ending Civilization score, and partially because I've never much cared for the military conquest option. It was pretty tough in Civilization II anyway, seeing as how the game started new civilizations each time one of them died.

i disliked starting a war and marching my entire attacking force into a city only to have it picked off by wave after wave of defences, i mean 60 modern armours and artillary picked off by a hundred gunships and mech infantry leaves you to wonder why the hell you even bothered declaring war, there is no such thing as a sneak attack.

Though during one of my less fortunate events where i got pwnd within the first hour, the mongols did surprisingly well destroying the english and spanish empires with their keshik, they just had no counter at all when other nations decided to build units that were effective against mounted units. So the keshiks went down like a sack of you know whats.

Which is why im more inclined to go with the research mass culture civs before any of the aggressive, civ3 it was far too easy to annex a nation and build an army (at one point my naval borders were garrisoned with 2battleships, 1 nuke sub, 1 aegis cruiser, while my land borders had fortress additions +4 modern armour) and on a civ that spans half a large world map that amounts to a damn lot of units, which made declaring war easy. Something i kinda hoped would be tweaked but not to the extent that it was in 4.

But now its far too easy to spread your religion around and play out the game in relative safety onyl worrying about the civ who happens to spawn on an island chain and bring troops by boat =/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: