Suikoden Utopian and Irenic Kriegspiel Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Harmonia south of the Grasslands?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucent

Toran Imperial Warlocks

14757 Potch
250 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Harmonia south of the Grasslands? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, I was finally reading through Volume 8 of the Suikoden III manga translation, and I came across a map in the back that detailed some of the movements of armies during the various battles in the graslands. On each of them details about the location of places within the land-mass were added, such as cities and nations borders.

The map shown below depicts Harmonia as being located south of the Grasslands beyond Kaleria. Now I don't have access to any information to the contrary, and I know that at least with the plot of the Suikoden III manga Aki Shimizu has taken some liberties with the storytelling, so the potential for the map to be misleading is there.

URL if image does not display

I'm curious what information exists to put Harmonia to the east of the grasslands (as seen on the Nation Map on the site) or if that was theory all on its own. I know that seeing Harmonia to the north of Dunan seemed to make sense to me when i first saw it.

Is there any concrete evidence of Harmonia's heographical location?

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm pretty sure it's official that Harmonia is northeast of Grassland. But I could be wrong. Sars Ad-minh or someone will clear this up shortly, I'm sure.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, in Suikoden 2 we saw that the lands North of Dunan (L'Renouille, Riou's home village) are all part of the Harmonian empire. But, in Suikoden 3 they show Caleria as being the doorway into Harmonian territory I believe.

But, interestingly enough, I believe it is known that Gregminster, a.k.a. Rupanda, was once considered to be part of Harmonia and we know that land mass to be to the east of the Grasslands, but amazingly to the south, as well. So, it seems possible that all of the lands to the east used to be under Harmonia at one time or another and the lands were annexed off to other countries.

So, perhaps the editor made a mistake and interpreted the lands once owned by Harmonia as actually being part of the Harmonian continent itself. But, I believe it is certain that it is to the east of that area.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow Urn, havn't seen you post in a while. I believe it's an error. Most of the information at the back of the manga books are a little wrong in some places. I could fish through them if necessary but I believe it to be an error.

Harmonia isn't THAT far south as Tinto is around there and we all know who's next to Tinto. Harmonia didn't have a region in that place otherwise Luca Blight would've asked for a pincer attack during the Dunan Unification Wars for Harmonia to attack from the west while Highland's army attacks from the east.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well since this map is supposedly showing the MANY battles in the Grasslands, then the editor or map artist showed when Harmonia was a bigger country. But even then Harmonia never had occuaption of the Tinto area, and it did'nt have the Dunan area either, so I don't know why it shows Harmonia streching south of the Grasslands.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought it was very obvious how the Harmonia/Grasslands region works.

Observe! (Forgive the crummy map, I just made in right now to make this point. The blue is, of course, Harmonia)

Harmonia's southern frontier stretches out in a more westernly direction the further south you go. South from the mountains where Caleria is positioned would be the mountains that make up the northern reaches of Greenhill and Matilda. The extended Republic of Tinto lies to the south of the western edges of the region.

Thus, Harmonia's southern border is in fact, quite sound.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He's quite right. Harmonia is mainly located to the east, but it controls the mountains that stretch to the southeast of the Grasslands.

^Actual quote!
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I still lurk around, Axiose. And yes, John Layfield is correct. Which I was trying to point out. Harmonia controls many landmasses that stretch to the Southeast of Grassland territory. Of course, the lands are not actually within Harmonian territory but still considered part of Harmonia due to the fact that they control those landmasses. So, the editor was more than likely calling those lands Harmonian territory due to the fact that the land is under their control for the moment. So, yes, Harmonia does have lands to the Southeast of the Grasslands but to the Northeast, as well. It is an enormous continent.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Lucent

Toran Imperial Warlocks

14757 Potch
250 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John's map helps set everything into a bit better perspective, the map from the back of the manga is relatively correct, if not a bit exaggerated in proportions but its hardly an exact map. I had no idea that Harmonia's holdings spreaded southwest in that fashion, and it looks like that answers that question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: