Suikoden United and Illusional Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Firefox
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Firefox Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i just downloaded the Fire fox web browser and i cant really see that much of a difference between this a nd the microsoft Internet Explore, could anyone please illistrate what they are please.

also i see things can be added on to it, at the moment i just have the basic web browsing tool, can anyone recomend any add ons to get for it and if so where abouts on the interweb they are, this would be much appriciated.
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have Internet Explorer, but I don't think there are any glaring differences between the different browsers. Then again, I'm not the world's most computer literate person... There are probably some minor differences.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Firefox is safer compared to Internet Explorer and that's probably the main reason people use it, not because of any superficial differences between the two.

As for add ons you can go Tools then Extensions and then Get More Extensions to be taken to the Firefox website. The only one I use is Fasterfox.

You may also want to get a different theme so just go Tools, Themes, Get More Themes. Personally I use Noia 2.0 but there's plenty available.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love firefox for the sole purpose of the tabs. I hate the fact that I have to open up a new window for IE.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I <3 firefox to death.. honestly its my second love though :O. Firefox is 100 times better than internet explorer.. expeically in terms of popups and viruses and crap that seem to hunt me down... however my first love is Crazy Browser.. check it out.. it kind of uses the internet explorer engine.. but tweeks it and gives you taps.. and it also then doesn't cancle out of alot of flash and java things that firefox does..

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Firefox is safer and faster atleast for me.Also it can save all your passwords or names when you logging into something
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
I love firefox for the sole purpose of the tabs. I hate the fact that I have to open up a new window for IE.

Testify sista'!

Yeah, I prefer it for the same reason. "ctrl + t" all the way.
rane

86165 Potch
50 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

there's a little difference actually now that i have downloaded it. the fonts are differents. other than that nothing at all.

oh and in the tab where you type the address. suikox.com has a blue moon rune and thats a nice way of representing this site. great job.

:mrgreen:

To feel used, to feel lust, to feel wanted for once
To know there's somebody else who's dying to feel anything
I'm Ready and willing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tabs make things a shit load easier. At suikox I usually just open all the topics with new posts in new tabs, of course if you're on dial up it may mean that none of the tabs fully load or load very slowly but if you got a decent internet connection it makes things pretty quick. :mrgreen:
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I find FF to look loads differnt than IE. when I'm in my hotmail in box, one browzer makes text all fat and big, and one small. same with live journal. when i hit tab to fill in detals...firefox will bring my "hit tab key" curser into the "jounral entry' field from username. IE won't.

unless its settings. also it seems to me that the things are pushed to the right in firefox.

maybe i'm hallucinating on that one.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For me the big thing is the extensions. It's very nice to be able to have my weather in the bottom of the screen, be able to save my work for those rare browser crashes, search google/wikipedia/recipies via a search box on the right rather than typing in the URLS to go to all those places, etc.

And of course, tabbed browsing owns my soul. <3

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tabbed browsing is definitely the way to go if you like to multi-task and, thus far, Internet Explorer is the only browser out of the three I have used (Firefox, Netscape and Internet Explorer) which doesn't incorporate this function. (You can get the tab function with Maxthon, formerly MyIE; which is based on and appears similar to IE, though it's not an official IE product)

What many people may not know, is Internet Explorer has long been integrated into Windows, thus making it impossible to remove the program, at least up to Windows XP. You'll notice that in any of the explorer views in pre-XP versions (such as viewing different folders on your drive) you can type in any web address and the folder instantly becomes an IE window. Windows XP is designed differently in that regard, so I'm not certain if that is possible. This integration also brings about the unfortunate side effect of a crashed IE browser possibly taking down your entire system.

I have noticed, however, that Firefox hasn't been quite as reliable for me ever since I had to replace my hard drive. It will often fail to load Suikox and deliver a "Suikox.com cannot be found error" which doesn't happen very often with IE. In fact, I can usually get Firefox to bring up Suikox again should I open it up with IE. The same, however, is not true with IE, which doesn't seem to like the "refresh" command on "cannot find server" errors, thus forcing users to go off the site and try again from there.

In my experience, Firefox also starts up and loads faster than Internet Explorer though page loads are generally the same in both and are really determined by the server they are trying to connect to.

There are some sites which will only allow you to browse via Internet Explorer, though, most notably (and most obviously) the Microsoft update site. Microsoft will allow you to browse their site with whichever browser you choose, but should you wish to download their updates, you must do so via Internet Explorer, otherwise it will give you an error that you are using a non-IE browser.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well for me, the difference with Firefox and IE was when my sister wanted to go to YahooMusic to watch videos, that site would'nt allow the Firefox broswer to stream the videos. But other than that, I can stream and dl videos or trailer anywhere else on the net.

I also worship the tab feature. :)
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I grew tired of IE and went back to what I used to use = Netscape. Upon doing this I found it loved to install every manner of Netscape software here there and everywhere, but once it all was set up it was great. The pop up blocking was effective, I could create tabs and life was good.

However yesterday it threw a fit and wont work any more. I might install firefox off my flatmates PC.

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Elc wrote:

What many people may not know, is Internet Explorer has long been integrated into Windows, thus making it impossible to remove the program, at least up to Windows XP. You'll notice that in any of the explorer views in pre-XP versions (such as viewing different folders on your drive) you can type in any web address and the folder instantly becomes an IE window. Windows XP is designed differently in that regard, so I'm not certain if that is possible. This integration also brings about the unfortunate side effect of a crashed IE browser possibly taking down your entire system.

You still cant remove it, windows treats it as a key system file pretty much just like wmp, whch is why microsoft had to completely tweak and re-release the version of xp in europe.

I actually enjoy firefox because of the increased security in extensions, as i have been on numerous forum sites where a script kiddie has exploited a flaw in past php versions (dealing with javascript) id simply throw up no script, and while it limits some graphics and functions im safe from the exploit and still able to do everything i normally could do.

Adblock, Nuke Anything, Disable Target Ads provide decreased load times because websites no longer have to load 45 graphics before the actual page. Foxy Tunes means i can listen to music within the actual browser, uncluttering the bottom taskbar. The addition of different styles and the option of formatting (ie copying the entire contents of a page including images or just plain text) + tabs is far better then ie.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: