Suikoden Uncouth and Illegal Kraalesque Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Game of the Year, 2005
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Game of the Year, 2005
Soul Calibur III (PS2)
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Half Life 2 (X-Box/PC)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Rhapsodia (Suikoden Tactics, PS2)
19%
 19%  [ 10 ]
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (PS2)
23%
 23%  [ 12 ]
God of War (PS2)
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Other
28%
 28%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 52

Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Game of the Year, 2005 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Surprised that no one else has done this really, so I figured that I would. In Harmonia, someone bumped the 'New Year's Resolutions' thread, and it usually takes some kind of realization like that to get me to remember how close Christmas is to the end of the year (and really, with my birthday being January 2nd you'd think I would remember!). This was a pretty decent year for games...not as good as last year, but still pretty damn good. What was the best game that you picked up this year?

Well for me, my favorite game of the year so far was released last year, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, which because of school I didn't get to play until the summer. Other than that, the only games I picked up were Tiger Woods PGA 2005, SSX: On Tour and my new gem, Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King. I got it for Christmas the other day, and played it for about 11 hours yesterday, and have plans to play it all night. Everything is awesome, especially the music, and surprisingly the voice acting. The only real flaw to me is that a lot of the load times seem very long, which given that we're in the end of the era of Load Times is intolerable. It's been a while since I could lose myself in a good RPG, because I don't consider SO:TET a real RPG but rather an action game. So far, barring a huge letdown (please don't spoil), it looks like DQVII:JCC is going to take the title, in my mind, anyways.

:ICE:
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shadow of the Colossus, nothing tops it. NOTHING.
bbsting120

8553 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I cast my vote for Dragon Quest. While Shadow of the Collosus was a GREAT game I have to pick DQ simply because it wasn't just a great game, it was a freaking near perfect game. I just finished it like a week ago and am already in withdrawel.

It also gets extra points for being like one of the very few rpgs with voice acting I REALLY really like! That's a rare thing...
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This year is a tough one. Not that there hasn't been some great games but none (that I've played) that stand out as a clear winner. And I'll be damned if I vote for an RPG where the story isn't as good as the rest of the game (DQVIII).

F*ck it, I'll just pick Suikoden Tactics, it was either that or Soul Calibur III as I haven't played Shadow of the Colossus, God of War was too short, I'll just pretend that a Mario game isn't in the list and I can't think of any others.
Viktor2008

Army of Hades

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well mine goes to God of War. Theres nothing to complain about in that game. The storyline was great yet short, Kratos was just freggin awesome, the combos were never ending, and there was plenty of violence to keep anybody happy. The graphics were good. Plus the secret telephone number where you get to talk to Kratos and Dave Jaffey. The magic was decent though I never used it, I just hack and slashed my way through it, but its still in my opinion the best game of 2005.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why no Suikoden IV? It had great graphics, great rune animations, super duper in-depth character development, long-winded refreshing story with great twists and turns about it, very rare monster encounters, a four-man battle system which rocks my socks and uhhhh... okay, I have to cut the sarcasm.

I vote Suikoden Tactics, for the main reason that it's really the only PlayStation2 game (aside from Suikoden IV) that I bought this year. Oh, and SmackDown! vs RAW 2006 should SO be on that poll. :P
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

At first I thought you were seroius when you said "Why no Suikoden IV?" :(
Dakota

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Im debating with Soul Calibur 3 and DQ8...
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Resident Evil 4.

One of about two new games I've actually played this year (that and Rhapsodia / Suikoden Tactics) ... So I guess the competition wasn't particularly fierce. However, the game was phenomenal, so I feel reasonably confident in saying that even if I had played a lot of games this year, Resident Evil 4 would still be king. I do desperately want to play Shadow of the Colossus though...now that my PS2 is in working order again, perhaps I'll give it a try. After I recover from holiday bankruptcy, that is. -.-

Ironically, since I'm so unmotivated, and my GameCube is not hooked up, nor stored in a place that's easy to get to, I haven't even finished RE:4 yet. I really need to get around to doing that. >.> I played Half-Life 2 as well, but I know for a fact that came out in 2004, and I didn't think it was a contender for 'best game' anyway. >.>

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
ard

Einherjar

804051 Potch
178 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have played dozens of games this year of pretty much all existing genres on four different consoles. I could not possibly pick one as the absolute best, I would have quite a big list of games i really enjoyed playing in 2005. The three games i enjoyed most would be SSX 3, Baten Kaitos and Suikoden IV. No Suikoden Tactics yet, i still have to wait a while to be able to play it.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm gonna go with Soul Calibur 3 because it's one of the best games I have ever played. The graphics were sweet and the gameplay was really smooth. The new characters are great, and have very interesting stories. The old characters get their story greatly expanded thanks to the Tale of Souls replacing the normal arcade game. And the create a character option was truly addicting. The new RPG-ish thing is also a nice and unique addition to a fighting game. I got Dragon Quest VIII for Christmas but haven't gotten around to playing it yet, so I can't say anything about it.
zeal

The Zealots

0 Potch
400 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shadow of the Colossus!

Though it has been rather short (i just rented it and beat it within 4 days), the graphics were amazing! The plot was cool. voice acting seemed cool couldn't understand it.

IN A CLOSE SECOND THOUGH
would have to be Suikoden Tactics. So far it's great. I like the graphic oddly and the battle grounds are beautiful. Voice acting is good i think. Plot is good as of now, though still the problem of people joining for lame reasons. I do like how they filled in the plot from Suikoden IV.

Check out:
Car Accidents
I'm A Plus Size Model
Superslut
Rene Magritte/Surrealism
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Really? I'm not very impressed with the voice acting, the way it works makes all the conversations seem disjointed as you wait to click the button between each individual bit of text and I'm not keen on nearly all the voices I've heard they all sound somehow...wrong, to me at least. Then again I didn't like Suikoden IVs voice acting either, I almost wish I could have the japanese speech with english text I'd probably be somewhat happier then.

I've only played tactics out of the games listed (only got that for christmas as well) and barely any other new games during this year, I'll abstain from voting this year.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought Suikoden Tactics' voice acting was "alright". I really disliked Kyril's voice, but I liked the voices they picked for most of the other characters. I don't think nearly as much thought was put into the character conversations as it might have been. Also, I agree with PF, the way that the conversation has to pause as you go through the act of pushing the X button each time definitely inhibits the flow of the conversations badly. It might have been better to let the voice conversations simply continue without input from the player. (Much of the dialogue in Final Fantasy X was done that way, with the option to pause the game at any time by hitting the start button).

Gameplay wise, however, I think Suikoden Tactics is pretty good. I don't like it as much as some of the other strategy-type RPGs like Disgaea or Final Fantasy Tactics, but it definitely has its selling points.

I certainly would call Suikoden Tactics a good investment of time and money to play through though. Especially if you were left wanting after IV, since it fills in some of the plot holes, and helps to expand upon the stories of several of IV's Stars of Destiny.

...Not the best game of the year though.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Best game of the year for me was Civilization 4. Simply put they improved every aspect of the game. No prior civ was as much fun, as deep or as addictive as this current version. I'm still blown away by how much more it is improved over Civ3.

Honourable mention to DQ8 which was very polished, very well done game. You could tell a lot of time was spent and the attention to detail from VA, landscaping, sight lines, controls, etc were so well put together. One of the most complete games I've ever experienced.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: