Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Retrogaming
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey Sophita, IHawkthanatos and I quoted genesis games as well. Hawk put up a nice list and I cited Shiningforce and ToeJam and Earl as well. I was totally on the Genesis love train with you guys, no respect I tell ya No respect...

It was possible to play Classic Concentration for more up to date computer systems like Windows and such because the Commodore 64 ran with DOS as well so most Commodore games could be played on any DOS supporting system. I loved the VGA music that always accompanied those old computer games.

And you mentioned Carmen Sandiego? There was a whole slew of Carmen Sandiego games. Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego was the most famous but there was also where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego and Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego. I always mastered those games because I was a huge geography and history freak when I was young. Before video games my entertainment was reading encyclopedias and atlases. Even when I had Atari, Commodore and eventually Nintendo, my brother would often play on those and I'd read the reference books. Anyhow Yeah I ttally remember Carmen Sandiego. One of the greatest parts was the names of her henchmen. Licinda Bolts was a mechanic, Fast Eddie B I think was in all of them. Earl E. Bird, Russ T. Hinge and Sharon Sharalike. Always fun names.

Along with Carmen Sandiego, no educational computer was with out Oregon Trail. I mean come on, that game was installed on every Apple II E in every school across the world. Or at least here in America it was. It was supposed to show the hardships of the travels out west and how anything could happen and disaster loomed at every juncture. But more or lless it became many people's first experience with a shooting game because one option of the game was to but bullets and go hunting for food. and children spend countless hours huntin bears, deer, rabbits, moose or whatever came their way out in the wild. After a few hours you became a master and could snipe even the fastest and smallest of kills whic in the scope of the game was probably not worth it because a slow lumbering bear that could be killed easily yeilds far more meat than any rabbit or pheasant ever could. At any road you had to buy axles, oxen food, medical supplies etc to get across the way. Most kids gave up or died before making it over the rockies but I became a master at it. But I mostly played for the hunting.

Since Oregon Trail the series has had a few Sequels or spinoffs, however you want to judge them. There's been Santa Fe Trail, Yukon Trail, Amazon Trail, and Africa Trail. Never played any but I hear Amazon Trail was a blast.

Sophita, I too have a working Game Gear. The system ruled and I often told people it was bettter than Gameboy, because of the backlight. I have Sonic 2 and Shining Force 2: Sword of Hayja for it. That all.. Oh I have Columns too but I never play that. Its a tetris wannabe but will never be half as good. The Game Gear was lunky and drained batteries like baby drinks milk. But it definitely ruled.

Sophita the Binappele Uqeen wrote:
The old games really can't match them in complexity, though they are a lot of fun in the "pick up and play" sense, something a lot of games have left by the wayside.

My sentiments exactly. Very few games made now have this kind of attraction. Only Katamari really and that even needs a memory card to play. Maybe this complexity will overboil and we'll see a return of the more simplistic games return. One can only hope.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Retro games are making a comeback. There are several Xbox/PS2 titles out which cater more for the 80s/90s gamer.

Activision Anthology
Intellivision Lives!
Namco Museum
Midway Arcade Treasures
Midway Arcade Treasures 2
Midway Arcade Treasures 3
Capcom Classics
Taito Legends

and more, there's quite a few King of Fighters style games which have come out plus dedicated Pac-Man and Q-bert games.

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It may be a little extrem but i really think newer games a not so good.

First of all , they seem to be easier. There is no more great challenge in video games. Look at Super Mario Bros 1 it's really difficult to finish it without using warp zone. Just like Sonic! you can't save your game so that raise the difficulty.And I love challenge that's why I prefer old games.
But F-Zero GX was quite hard , especially for a modern games ! Thanks to Sega and Nintendo for releasing this great game ( The 2 old ennemy are today united.)

Then, I love 2D ! It's better for RPGs , platform , Fighting games etc ... I think 3D is often not so good. a lot of games could have been great but they were made in 3D. 2D is so simple so easy ! :)

I'm an huge fan of RPGs , and there aren't so many RPGs nowadays. But 15 years ago , they were tons and tons ! on all the consoles.

And what about playing old PC games ? like the point-and-click from Lucas Arts : Monkey Island , Sam & Max , Day of the tentacles. Or FPS : Duke Nukem , Doom etc ...
Do you remember Jazz Jackrabbit 2 ? That was a vey good game !
Dooz

Buttered-up Old Men

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You guys ever play those old vector-graphics arcade games lately? I've actually been quite addicted to many of them. Major Havoc is a really fun one. The animation for those games is really really smooth. Pretty amazing, considering a majority were made in the late 70's.

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RedCydranth wrote:

Along with Carmen Sandiego, no educational computer was with out Oregon Trail. I mean come on, that game was installed on every Apple II E in every school across the world.

I remember the endless hours that I spent playing Oregon Trail in school when I was a kid. Actually, I remember that being one of the most exciting things that we did at school. Blah blah, language, math...recess, sure...that was always good...and who didn't like lunch? ...But Oregon Trail? That was something special. :) Could get the whole class to shut up just by threatening not to let us play anymore. No fair. :( At the time, I was pretty enthralled with the hunting, and the river rafting at the end, dodging rocks to take the much "better" path to win.

But damn, the characters in that game had it rough. I can't count the amount of times I died of dysentary. :( We used to name the people in our caravan after one another, then deliberately get certain people killed. Vicious youth, always playing our violent video games!

Quote:
The Game Gear was lunky and drained batteries like baby drinks milk. But it definitely ruled.

I blame the battery life for why the Game Gear was only as popular as it was. It was years ahead of its time. It looked better than the Game Boy, the Game Boy Pocket, the Game Boy Colour. Only the Game Boy Advance has it beat, and that was what, ten years later? Sadly, everyone still considers Nintendo to be the undisputed kings of the hand-held system market. Only because Sega gave up after only one offering... man, I'm gonna miss those guys.

Quote:
Maybe this complexity will overboil and we'll see a return of the more simplistic games return. One can only hope.

I already see some pretty lousy offerings that are destroyed by over-complexity. Streamlined gameplay is good. That's why Halo is so popular...it's not anything new or different, but it's simple, easy to learn, easy to play. At the same time, Halo 2 takes full advantage of the graphical capabilities of the Xbox, and it's surprising at times how many small details the creators chose to pay attention to. They streamlined things, made it easy to control using the limits of an Xbox controller instead of a keyboard and mouse. I'm sure others will catch on.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus are the kings over simple yet effective games.
Lion heart

Ultima clan

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i must admit i aslo am a fan of retro games, don't get me wrong its not like love the oldies but sometimes you get bored of the new games and you feel like something new (or in this case something old).

the games that stick out in my mind the most are:

Super mario
all of the Zelda games
donkey kong and donkey kong jr
the mario brothers
pong!!!

i think that the oldies will be around forever because there will always be people that want to try a different type of game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: