Suikoden Urgent and Irenic Kibbutz Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Overrated Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
FFX is much longer than FFIX. If you do the whole sphere grid with every character you'll have over 150 hours amassed. Not to mention the battle arena. My friend spent 200 hours with FFX, it has lots to do if you seek it.

While I'm not sure the exact hours, but I bet you'd be clocking in the hundreds as well for Final Fantasy IX if you do the whole Chocobo Hot and Cold, frog catching, jump rope, Ragtime mouse, sprint race, trying to complete the Tetra Master, and the treasure map.

And I'm not saying that Koeneloen lied or not, but I'm with Himuro on the whole it's quite impossible for someone to finish Final Fantasy IX in 12 hours the first time through. 12 hours is the limit to get Excalibur II. Many achieve this by knowing the game inside out and even skipping FMVs by opening the PSX to save time. So if you've only played it for the very first time, I doubt you could achieve this simply because you'd be wondering what happened, taking your time reading the text, watching the FMVs, etc that would take extra time. So personally, I doubt that he really finished the game in 12 hours the first time through, even if he chose to skip sidequests and mini-games (though the consequence is weaker weapon which means longer battles).

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I did all of that stuff in FFIX with the exception of the card game because it sucks, and I beat the game in 75 hours.
Dooz

Buttered-up Old Men

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RedCydranth wrote:
Ah, maybe this is where Hawk sees the overratedness of Super Mario, because that game is usually in the top 5 when in all reality its not that good.

Actually, I'd rather play Super Mario then Ocarina of Time. In fact, I have, since I never felt the need to buy Ocarina of Time, whereas I do play my SNES semi-regularly (Well... I did and then it broke).

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
I did all of that stuff in FFIX with the exception of the card game because it sucks, and I beat the game in 75 hours.

Then most likely, you were lucky (because Chocobo Hot and Cold, friendly monsters, and Ragtime Mouse are practically all about luck) and using walkthrough or something for most (if not all) treasure maps (because it'd be really hard to find the location of the treasures just by looking at the single image).

And just out of curiousity, how long did it take you to finish the jump rope and sprint race? I've never managed to finish them until the end >.<

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I did jumprope at the very beginning. Sprint race, I don't even remember.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
How can someone say Super Mario Bros. is overrated? That game was revolutionary.

The game WAS revoloutionary, but it, like almost every subsequent Mario game is overrated by all the Nintendo fanboys (of which there are a lot). The game was just jumping on turtles moving left to right and jumping. It's not a great game like many people treat it.

Red wrote:
Hawk, How can you justify ALL the Super Mario games as overrated? None of them are overhyped or seen as masterpeices really. Super Mario Brothers 1 was like the first Nintendo game so it can't really be that overhyped as it did launch the system into fame and set the bar for sidescrollers. Super Mario Bros 2 was a great game but nobody rants about how great it is. Super Mario 3 was fun but wasn't as good as its predacessors. Again, I don't see anyone ranting over its greatness. A game isn't overrated until people um.. over rate them.

Mario has a HUGE amount of fans that treat Mario as a god and buy every game, for any top 10 list Mario stands a good chance of being in it and nobody realises that almost every Mario game is pretty much the SAME.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm far from a Nintendo fanboy and I can still see how Mario isn't overrated.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well...a lot of the perspectives I see here depend greatly on how you base your overall rating of a game. It's hard to argue against Tetris, as in RedCydranth's case, because the argument that you'll get in return is usually that since Tetris is fun and timeless, you can sit down and play a game of Tetris any time, any where, and be entertained by it. How many times can you play Ocarina of Time before you get tired of it, though? In that sense, Tetris might well be the greatest game of all time. You're perfectly free to disagree with that, of course...and you could definitely argue that as far as single playthroughs, Ocarina of Time is a better game than Tetris. It has depth, a story, and far more variation than simply organizing blocks to form rows. I personally don't like Ocarina of Time all that much...and I would still agree with you if you made that claim.

But the fact that I still play a pickup game of Tetris here and there marks that game as significantly better than many, many games that I've long since stopped playing. I don't consider Tetris to be the greatest game of all time, because I never get sick of other games, like Master of Orion II, or Final Fantasy Tactics. But at the same time, I can play Tetris on my calculator, which definitely cannot be done with a high-powered console game.

I do, however, agree entirely with RedCydranth (who I think made this point first, forgive me if I am mistaken) that opinions of those who rushed through Final Fantasy IX in 12 hours on their first playthrough and never bothered to explore the other possibilities and sidequests available are somewhat difficult to swallow. I myself didn't do all of the stuff available in IX, because I just plain didn't like it, and I didn't feel compelled to do the other quests...but I'm also not going to claim it's overrated, because it's possible that there's something awesome that I missed out on.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Parallax wrote:
I myself didn't do all of the stuff available in IX, because I just plain didn't like it, and I didn't feel compelled to do the other quests...but I'm also not going to claim it's overrated, because it's possible that there's something awesome that I missed out on.

I think that's a very good point over there. To dislike a game is quite different than to consider a game is overrated, some people tend to mix these two into one. That's why I mentioned that to say that something is overrated, we must know what we're talking about. So yeah, I agree with both of you.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

PesmegraisYuber

-85350 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Madden footbal FF-series to me Halo Ghost Recon-series Resident Evil
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i can agree with some of the games you have pesmergraisyuber, but i'm not fond of first person shooters but with the halo games they were exactly how i expected it to be from what others said, plain and simply awesome.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Sydnee

Gender Bender

52300 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Final Fantasy Series and Resident Evil Series (the previous RE titles are not that exciting as the first ones)

~ Securing the safety of mone---I mean uhh...people of Island Nations ~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DarkCalibur

46980 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Final Fantasy 7....it has too many sequels,spin-offs,and it also has a movie.....and theres a new one
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You revived a 2 year dead thread to FF7 bash? Wow.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Wind Rune

640 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well we can't really blame him. or me for that matter because i'm going to bash FF7 as well. while it is a good game in itself, there is just too much hype for it to be normal. besides, i'm not the biggest FF fan. in fact the FF games, especially the recent ones are extremely over-rated for me. rpg's like Suikoden and wild arms put more into story just because they don't have all the hype that goes with being main stream
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: