Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Overrated Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Koeneloen wrote:
I also think FF IX is overrated I completed the game in my first playtrough in 12 hours :shock: That is to short for a RPG and especially a FF game.
Fifa 2006 is also totally overrated it isn't good at all, Pro Evo is much and much better

I'm sorry but this is impossible. Most people complete FFIX's first disc within 15-20 hours the first time through.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The whole game took me about 35 hours on my first playthrough. A good deal more than "12" hours, and I guess actually kind of a long game. I kept stopping for months and then picking it up again and trying to figure out where the hell I was supposed to go, though. I'd guess it was about 25-30 hours of meaty gameplay. That's longer than most of the Suikoden games (maybe not III, especially if you play Thomas' chapters). That's longer than many of the other Final Fantasy offerings. Of course...I hated Final Fantasy IX more than words can hope to describe...but it wasn't because I thought the game was too short.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Koeneloen

V-TOWN

4000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I'm sorry but this is impossible. Most people complete FFIX's first disc within 15-20 hours the first time through.

You didn't play the game very fast then?? A friend of mine has the game too and he completed it the third time in only 8 hours so it can easily be done in 12 hours the first time. But like I said I didn't collect all the ultimate weapons and such..
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That is impossible.
Koeneloen

V-TOWN

4000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Uhm yeah it easily be done, search somewhere on the internet I bet that there people who can do it faster then 8 hours the game isn't so long as you think it is, it's in fact one of the shortest RPG's there is it's so simple as that
Dooz

Buttered-up Old Men

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Black Pesmerga wrote:
1. What you're talking about.
Overrated: Something that people rate higher than what you rate.
Example: Someone gave a game 8/10 while you give it 6/10.

2. What we're talking about.
Overrated: Something that many people rate so high (as in "the best") while you don't think that way.
Example: Someone gave a game 10/10 while you gave it 9/10.

*sigh*

No.

But I really don't care to argue anymore. So I won't.

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are people that can...but its only so they can get a secret weapon for Steiner located at Memoria. it;s only possible if you get there in like...10 or 20 hours or something.

But seriously, FF9 is longer than FF8 and FF10, the games before and after it. The game also has four times as much stuff to do besides the main story.

^Actual quote!
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When you go into analyzing a game you have to take the whole game into consideration. If you went through Final Fantasy IX in 11-12 hours you obviously missed all the really fun sidequests like the mooglenet, the card game and even the whole Ozma battle which has arguably been said as the hardest battle in a Final Fantasy game. Its like me playing Suikoden II without getting all 108 stars, not playing any of the cook games, rope climb or doing any side things and then giving my opinion that the game sucked. Obviously I didn't get the whole game's potential. Thus my opinion, as tainted as it is, is thrown out.

So with that said, Hawk's view of Final Fantasy Tactics is out the window. So is Koeneloen's view of Final Fantasy IX. If you didn't play the full game you can't really give the unbiased opinion. I have played those games fully and I can say that Final Fantasy IX is a good game and deserves the rating it gets and since few people proclaim it to be great its not overrated. Final Fantasy Tactics is where I'd say my mind is biased because that is my favorite video game, however I've never seen anyone who has played it all (side missions with Cloud, Deep Dungeon and Beowulf included) that say its not one of the greatest games they've played. So until I see an outcry of people legitimately disliking it, its not overrated, just really well liked.

Hawk, How can you justify ALL the Super Mario games as overrated? None of them are overhyped or seen as masterpeices really. Super Mario Brothers 1 was like the first Nintendo game so it can't really be that overhyped as it did launch the system into fame and set the bar for sidescrollers. Super Mario Bros 2 was a great game but nobody rants about how great it is. Super Mario 3 was fun but wasn't as good as its predacessors. Again, I don't see anyone ranting over its greatness. A game isn't overrated until people um.. over rate them.

In all honesty the most overrated game by Magazine standards is Tetris. Seriously. I get SO tired of reading all these magazine's top 100 games of all time list only to find Tetris at the number 1 spot. Its not that great of a game. It is fun and timeless, I'll give it that, but better than Ocarina of Time? Ah, maybe this is where Hawk sees the overratedness of Super Mario, because that game is usually in the top 5 when in all reality its not that good. I think those rankings are about cause and effect too because tetris and Mario set video games into fame in the 80s.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Koeneloen

V-TOWN

4000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's true but Final Fantasy 8 was storywise much longer than FF 9 at least that's what I think. FF 10 was also storywise longer than 9 but you almost didn't have any extra stuff in that game (compared to other FF games). But because I didn't liked FF 9 that much I really zapped through the game while FF8 had me more intriged by it's story so it lasted a while longer then FF9 (that's why I think it's overrated). For FF8 I almost played 30 hours but there I did do some sidequest and I keep collecting those cards from the card game. FF VII was definetly the longest one (and the best in my opinion).

reply to redcydranth:

Yeah that's true what you said I didn't play the mini games and/or sidequests. It was the story of the game that really didn't interest me to play it all over again to get everything there was in the game. I don't really care about all the extra stuff in the game. The main game is the point for me and I didn't like it at all and I had that with some more games that I didn't play again
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, I was looking through some records of Final Fantasy IX when I came upon this badboy. Want to talk about luck? This guy got wicked lucky. He beat Ozma at level 1! One can ask how did he get to Ozma without leveling up? Well bosses do not weild experience so this IS a possiblity.

I can see the fact that some didn't care for the storyline and I can understand that but the general opinion is its a decent game but not spectacular. Therefore not overrated. I can hate a game with all my heart and it can still not be overrated as long as most people think its decent. Its when you get a bunch of people glorifying it as a work of art. Not just a few.

A decent example is Disgaea. It has a fun storyline, plenty of side action, actually more side action that story to be honest, but the game turns out to be fairly decent, but there are a bunch of japanese Nippon Ichi freaks out there who proclaim Disgaea to be a work of sheer genius. I wouldn't go as far to say that but its a quality game. The general consensus on the game is it is great. But its not spectacular. Since only a handful proclaim it as genius, its not overrated. Its just loved more than neccessary by that one group. If it had the following that say, Final Fantasy had, then yes, it'd be highly overrated, but since the majority of people only like it and not love it, its not overrated.

A nice examlpe of an overrated game unmentioned thus far would be Katamari Damacy. I played it, loved it and beat the hell out of it. I think it was fun but there are freaks out there who think this game is the best thing in gaming history. In fact theres a huge following of this game where I live. Everyone has it, plays it and compares their star sizes and times and such like its a big competition. However the game is just fun and not wicked outstanding like some say. I think most agree that its fun but there's too much hub-bub over a game thats so mind numbingly rediculous.

Ideally the general opinion is that Fable and Final Fantasy VII are the 2 most overrated Role Playing Games. Those are the perfect examples of games that are highly overrated. Dispite what Final Fantasy VII did for RPGs and Playstation, the game has too huge a following for a game of that decency. Its great but spectacular.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Koeneloen

V-TOWN

4000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FF VII is just an amazing game.. the storyline, the villain, the weapons (ruby,diamond etc), the characters you get to own, the hero, the flashbacks what happened before the game, the variety of locations there are, the golden saucer,the magic (materia), it's just so well thought of that almost nobody can stand up against.
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally I think FF7 is overrated.

It's a good game, yes...but not the experience everyone made it out to be. Everyone made it sound like I would lose my virginity playing this game, it was so great. The game ended up being good, but didn't live up to the hype. It doesn't help that I really don't like Aeris or Sephiroth, but that's discussionh for another thread isn't it?

^Actual quote!
Koeneloen

V-TOWN

4000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeah but that is most of time when you hear people talk that it's the greatest game ever and there will be nothing more perfect then that it's always dissapointing when you play it however it is a good game it wasn't what you excepted of the so called hype around the game
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How can someone say Super Mario Bros. is overrated? That game was revolutionary.

FFX is much longer than FFIX. If you do the whole sphere grid with every character you'll have over 150 hours amassed. Not to mention the battle arena. My friend spent 200 hours with FFX, it has lots to do if you seek it.
lunar shadows

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My answer would be Halo. I think that game is crap
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: