Suikoden United and Illegal Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Overrated Games
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Overrated Games Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What games do you think are overrated, or didn't live up to your expectations?

For me it's Dragon Quest VIII, maybe I just put too much importance on story but I didn't enjoy this game as much as everyone else seemed to. Another one is Final Fantasy VI, I'm not sure why but I just didn't like this game as much as the other Super Nintendo Final Fantasys (is that the correct pluralisation?). Although FFV having the job system gave it a bit of an advantage.
Its A Catapult

Arcarsenal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FABLE!
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally while I know it's going to strike a cord with a lot of people who might be reading this one of the games that I am going to say is Suikoden 2. Dont get me wrong, just like all of the other Suikoden games I love this one too, but it is far too overrated. I mean the game itself, while it improves on the prior game, and has an excellent story, is not exactly the be all, end all of playstation rpgs for that matter. I mean there are games out there that also have great stories, with graphics which sadly put Suikoden 2 to shame really. I mean the graphics on the two older Suikoden games are a bit simplistic dont you think so? Anyways while the game is an awesome game, and well worth the price you can find it for, in the long run there have been better games made since. As much as it sounds treasonous to say that of this game here on a Suikoden forum of all things.

Next up, has to be Final Fantasy 7. I still dont get what people find to be so fantastic about this game, that they still rave over it today. They storyline was good to start off with, but began to trail off, and get boring towards the end of the game. Some of the characters were made well, and were entertaining, but others like Barrett, and Cait Sith sort of fell short if you get my meaning. Really thats what in my opinion brings this game down, and these are two major parts of an rpg, so really I still dont understand what the big deal is. I mean the graphics are fairly good for the time since they improved as time went along. The sound, I have to admit was top of the line, even for now so I dont have any complaints there. The big parts of it though kind of bring it down in my eyes.

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Halo, a 'revolutionary' fps that was flogged like a dead horse consistantly when it progressed on very little, looked quite average and played like a dog at times compared to other fps' of its time. It still gets rave reviews and fanboy status by those who behold it as the king of fps' with nothgn else coming close. It was the new counter strike with its fanbase of braggarts and microsoft junkies.

Im in agreeance with Final Fantasy 7 being overrated, but thats simply because it was squares polygonal masterpiece on the playstation. I found the lack of faces and constant overlay of polygons into a cancellation effect of 'look ma no neck!' quite average and the storyline to be predictable, not to mention the hysteria which erupted over certain characters, while others simply plodded along, got a random plot twist and that was it.

8553 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think a highly overrated game is Final Fantasy 8. Yeah, it was kinda fun...but squall is possibly the most annoying character ever to grace a video game. C'mon, if he said "whatever" one more time as the incredibly sexy Rinoa was practicaly throwing herself at him...grr. Some people seem to think it's the best FF game, and maybe I missed something, but to me it just didn't do it. Just my opinion.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote=Filipe]Personally while I know it's going to strike a cord with a lot of people who might be reading this one of the games that I am going to say is Suikoden 2.[/quote]

It was hard for me to read this at first. I was about to scream bloody murder and brand you as a heretic, but that's not my way. I thought about this for a bit...and the points that you made...and I both agree and disagree with you.

Quote:
I mean the game itself, while it improves on the prior game, and has an excellent story, is not exactly the be all, end all of playstation rpgs for that matter.

I agree. There are other excellent RPGs available for the Playstation. Suikoden II is among the best in my opinion, but my personal favourite RPG title on the PSX is Xenogears. I also consider many older RPGs (Square's earlier offerings, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana) to be superior as well. I do not believe that many later RPGs surpassed it, however...

Quote:
I mean the graphics on the two older Suikoden games are a bit simplistic dont you think so?

They are, but I prefer the sprites in Suikoden II tremendously over the early polygon games like Final Fantasy VII. Speaking of Final Fantasy VII, I will agree with everyone else here who considers that game to be overrated. I know people are just as ready to slam my personal favourite Final Fantasy games (VI and VIII), but I just didn't think Final Fantasy VII was really anything to write home about. I didn't think it was a bad game, but honestly...

Also, those graphics have really, really, really well and truly not aged well. At all.

[quote=Its A Calyps0]FABLE![/quote]

Did people rate Fable highly? Everyone I've ever talked to though it was mediocre and unfinished. It had the potential to be truly great, but it never struck a chord with me as being anything special.

A couple more for me...

World of Warcraft - I'm sure I'll get flamed for this one. It looks prettier than Ultima Online. It has lots of weapons and skills. It's streamlined. It's still sixty levels of killing monsters. Hoo. Ray. I think the same way I do about World of WarCraft as I do about all MMORPGs (which is an opinion contrary to the world's population, as it would seem)...that they're not so hot. Oh well.

Diablo II - I played through this game a couple times. Exactly once for Diablo II, and maybe a couple of times for Lord of Destruction. Considering how long I've owned those games, that's not tremendously impressive. I don't see the appeal that other people seem to in this game, and I never have.

Age of Empires II - As an RTS fan, I was advised strongly to play this game. I was told how wonderful it was. I was bored to tears by it for a few hours before returning it to the friend I'd borrowed it from. It seemed to lack everything that made games like Command and Conquer and StarCraft so much fun for me. It has four resources and you can easily spend more time upgrading than playing. It lacks the streamlined combat feel that I get from Blizzard and Westwood's RTS offerings. Even the oldschool and unrefined Dune 2 (still ranking among my favourite games of all time, mind you) struck me as orders of magnitude better in every way imaginable than Age of Empires II.
Its A Catapult

Arcarsenal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Did people rate Fable highly? Everyone I've ever talked to though it was mediocre and unfinished. It had the potential to be truly great, but it never struck a chord with me as being anything special.

That's the point. It was hyped up to be the most original open game ever made that would bend all sorts of boundries and in the end it was just...eh.

It was pretty much nothing it was promised to be. So that's why it deserves the overrated/overhyped role. It's the Michael Vick of videogames. It had all the potential int he world, but just really sucks.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fable - Like a lot of lionhead games, everything interesting got taken out before the game shipped. I was ticked off when they took out the ability to play as a girl, but I supposed it was understandable if they had a strict deadline to meet. (Of course, they then promptly took like two-three years to finish it, making me wonder if the choice to cut the ability to play as a girl was due more to other concerns than fiscal ones...) Then they took out the ability to have children, which really disapointed me because that would have been awesome, and given you a reason to be an adventurer until you're old aged.

Then, ignoring everything else that was supposed to ship with it - there's the fact that, when it did ship, it was very disapointing - the ability to customize your hero was extremely limited (can't change skin tone, eye color...anything but hair cut and facial hair) - and what you can change, you often don't want to, because so many of the styles available either add too much to whatever way you're looking on going for your alignment. As a result, everyone's hero (or villan) looks the same; there really are only a couple viable "looks" in the entire game. I hate that they assigned attributes to the hair, because it really does limit what you can do.

And the plot is so thin you couldn't even ice skate on it. The fighting game system is pretty elementary - it plays like Tekken 1. And worse of all, the system for conversing is such a strange chore (you pick four different actions, and when you press the button people around you react to it) that you'll quickly grow tired of it. And in an RPG, growing tired of talking to people is not a virtue.

I don't mind it when there's a ton of hype built up before a release by fans, but when the creators of the game make false statements abotu what will be in it...well, then it's just bloody annoying. Tell us what's true, or what isn't, ok?

This is why I don't buy lionhead games anymore: they constantly talk up their stuff, but then it comes out, the final product is nothing like what the developers promised it would be like.

The Movies - Even though it's a lionhead game, I bought it just for because the idea of it was so novel. I'd love to run my own studio. and the game is good, but with one huge problem: past the 1920's, you never get any more movie stars. This is alright in 1940 - 40 year old movie stars aren't that bad - but when you get to 197, and suddenly all your movie people are getting forced into retirement, and there's no one new coming to wait outside your gates, well...let's just say you see a lot of movies with former janitors in them after awhile. It's a critical flaw.

I also hate the fact that, once again, clothing has attibutes put on it so that, once again, only 1-2 outfits can be used depending on the era. It's really boring to have all my characters be basically pallette swaps of each other. So what if I want to have my comedienne drapped out in a fish costume? That's no business of the game to be interferring like that. *grumbles*

Suikoden II, as much as it is a good game, is one I do feel is waaaaaaaay overrated in the Suikoden community. I'm convinced a great portion of this is because it is a rare game, and thus it has a limited amount of peple who have actually played it. It is a good game. But the translation is terrible(!!!!!!!!!!...............) and it's got it's fair share of underdeveloped characters, too. It is a good game, but I'm tired of so many people whinging on how every Suikoden game should be EXACTLY like Suikoden II.

Final Fantasy VII is a good game, but neither the best FF nor the best RPG on the playstation. Sephiroth is not the best villian, ever - in fact, he's kind of one-note. The materia system is OK, but it's a bit of a chore to micromanage. The music is good. Aeris dying is not the biggest thing to ever happen, OMG. The graphics? Are really, really ugly now (especially poor Hojo!). The only time the SD look worked onthe Playstation was for FFIX, and even the only because the models suited it better and the polygons were smoother. Also? The ending sucked.

Soul Calibur 3 is the worst and most overated game in the series. Never have I been so put off by a fighting game. There's no way to adjust the difficulty, and the computer, which is based off your button presses, can outreact you in a manner of seconds. The difficulty is high and this is a game I don't think anyone who wasn't used to playing fighters a lot could even get past the 4th round in. This is a game meant for hard core fighting game fans only, I think, and I have neither the patience nor the fondness for the Soul Calibur series to play it through. Also? I wish they hadn't put so much in the story mode, because Soul Calibur has a dull story, even for a fighting game, and even the most interesting storyline (IMO the Ivy/Cervantes one) basically can be summed up like this:

Cervantes: Get in mah belly SOUL!

Ivy: ...No.

Hats off for the excellent create-a-fighter mode, though.

And finally, I have never understood the appeal of or how one could enjoy any of the Zelda games. I've played portions of just about all of them, and it's still deeply boring. I just do not understand. *dons flame retardant suit, runs away*

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lord Vader

Lord's Minions

4417 Potch
721 Soldiers
20000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The games I think are most overrated are Halo 1 and Halo 2. Yes, they are fun solid first person shooters. I just think that they are way overrated, especially Halo 2.

General of the Godwin Army
United States Navy ATF-HT
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden II - This is my favorite game, don't get me wrong. But damn people, as has been said this game is way too overrated in the Suikoden community. So much that people only want Suikoden 2.5 in most cases.

Final Fantasy VII - One of the most overrated games ever. This was my first rpg so I still feel kindly about it, but amount of fanboys that play this game and aren't willing to try other games in the genre top any other game I've seen. Aeris wasn't that great, and the only reason people like her is because she died. Get over it. Characters died before FFVII, stop acting like that death was revolutionary.

Resident Evil - This is one of those series where I question,"Why was this popular in the first place?" the controls are awful, the plot is awful, the gameplay is awful. The only RE worth mentioning imho is RE4, and even that's overrated.

Practically all 3d fighters that aren't called Dead or Alive or Virtua Fighter. 3d fighters are boring. Just totally boring. DOA is great because it's just plain fun, and VF is great because it's depth and gameplay options make it king. Soul Calibur? Good but not great. Tekken? Barf. 3d fighters don't hold a candle to 2d fighters in regards to fun factor.
The Chizen Star

5907 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Dragon Quest VIII was horribly overrated and overhyped. Sure, the graphics are beautiful, but the text-boxes, menu system, and battle system are incredibly outdated. I felt like I was just playing a prettier version of the first Dragon Quest.

Can't really think of anything else, right now...

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

DQVIII's battle system is something that's great because it's simple but it's also very deep. The depth is subtle, like for instance, how customize your characters.
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FIFA Series- I don't know how are still people saying that FIFA and PES/Winning Eleven are competing to be the best. PES won that war back in 2000, when ISS Pro Evolution (dunno which WE is) passed FIFA in terms of quality. Hell, FIFA's control system right now is a tweakened version of PES'.

Every FPS made by id post Quake 2- id are the kings of FPS, no doubt. But they lost their magic after Quake 2. Hell, excluding Half-Life (the first one) and Serious Sam, none other FPS got that magic back.

Half-Life 2- Great graphics and sound showcase. Not that great of a evolution from its predecessor in the rest.

Every Tunning racing game- Just because they are all average arcade racing games at best, with some customization features.

Final Fantasy VII- What everyone else said.

Kingdom Hearts- I still don't see what's special about this game. It seems more like a Disney action game with half a dozen RPG like features, some FF characters to call the fanboys/girls and some very childish looking characters. The story isn't that appelative too, IMO.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FFX is the most overrated piece of poo I've ever played. Horribly shallow characters, unrealistic development, horrible voice acting (besides Belgemine), boring story, pudding-like end boss, stupid twists, lack of color. Where exactly is the good point of this game?

The sphere grid? If you think it's the sphere grid, go ahead and write out what the sphere grid is on a piece of paper. Then write "That is what makes the game fun" Then read it outloud and if the sound of your thoughts doesn't kill you from wrongness, then perhaps your god (or some good intentioned passerby) will put you out of your misery. The graphics? Well, when you make all the characters so ridiculously ugly, it's kinda bad when you can see them more clearly. OOOH Bot ZOMG u c@n l13k 533 1u1u'5 8008@63!!! The replay-ability? I was almost in tears when I finally finished the game the first time. It was like enduring POW torture.

The Sims (every version) - Virtual Chores. How fun!

And for all of you people who said Suikoden II... I'm shocked. Considering that I, III, IV, and Rhapsodia were all mediocre to awful games. Overall, this game is severly underrated. Among the Suikoden community, it really doesn't have an equal in comparison to the rest of the games in the series.

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alot of decent calls here, FFX was good not great but I think alot of reviews got wrapped up in it's appearance and the OMG it's got voices factor. Annoying voices, god I hated the laughing scene.

Lionhead games are another great example to the damage overhyping can do, Black and White 1 was just...meh. I couldn't be bothered to finish it I got very tired of it to be honest, Fable was a game one of my friend's called Revolutionary in mundane ways. I think that's a good way to describe it and for a game claiming to be very open-ended, it really wasn't as far as I recall it had three endings, the two that actually ended it the good choice/the bad choice and the choice to live out your life and die naturally. That's no more open than a box. Which is closed.

With a lock too.

People calling Suikoden overrated? Shame on you!

Nah not really, I love the series, my favourite games but perhaps not the best games out there if I think logically. I just can't help feel attached to the characters and the plots and that's what gets me regardless of the obvious flaws in the battle systems and the underdevelopment of certain characters. I can't blame Konami too much for that aspect though, underdevelopment, there are a hell of a lot of characters in the games after all.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: