Suikoden Utopian and Informational Kriegspiel Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Mayan Prophecy & Eschatology
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pierrot Le Fou

Rain Dogs

37957 Potch
0 Soldiers
196054 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Mayan Prophecy & Eschatology Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*Eschatology: The branch of theology that is concerned with the end of the world or of humankind.

Well, we have basically 7 more years, until Judgement Day that is.

December 23, 2012 is the final day of the Mayan Calandar. The significance of the preceding days are pheonominal (besides being the Winter Solstice which isn't anything special.) To the layperson, Winter Solstice is the day of the year that the Sun is furthest south and the first day of Winter for the Nothern Hemisphere (Summer Solstice in the Southern Hemisphere.)

The significance of December 21, 2012 has to do with a rare and mythical astrological event. The Sun will line with the intersection of the Milky Way and the plane of the ecliptic. You see, the Milky Way extends in a general north/south direction of the night sky, while the plane of the ecliptic is the track the Sun, Moon, planets and stars appear to travel in the sky, from east to west. There will be a cosmic cross with the Sun in the center (in the region of the Galactic Center no less), everybody following so far? This is where it gets to be a matter of faith.

The Mayans called this intersection the 'Sacred Tree.' The trunk of the tree, formed by the Milky Way is known as the Axis Mundi, while the main branch is the plane of the ecliptic. So, at sunrise on December 21, 2012, the Sun rises to conjoint at the center of the tree, also known as the 'Tree of Life.' The Mayan story of the 'Hero Twins' (or Popol Vuh) foretold this prophecy of the Sun being reborn at this very tree.
Read this if you want to know the story.
http://www.mythweb.com/teachers/why/other/hero_twins.html

The metaphor of this prophecy is explained here, by Graham Hancock, who wrote a book on the subject.
Quote:
The concept of Father Sun being reborn at the end of the age is very similar to the events in Maya Creation mythology (the Popol Vuh) in which First Father / One Hunahpu is reborn in the underworld ballcourt. The ballgame metaphor, too, encodes the alignment. If we look at accepted notions of ballgame symbolism, we learn that it is basically about the rebirth of the sun on the temporal levels of day, year, and World Age. The sun is reborn daily at dawn, yearly at the December solstice, and, in terms of World Ages, on December 21, 2012-when the December solstice sun aligns with the Galactic Plane, which is the precession cycle's "finish line." The dark-rift that lies along this plane is the "goal" toward which the December solstice sun, as the gameball, moves over many millennia. In this way, the Maya conceived of the gameball going into the goalring as a replication of cosmic time's end-game.

You see, this same event has not occured for 25,800 years

-This is taken from Jim Papp's "Information Made Easy for the Everyday Earthling to Understand"-
Quote:
Due to a phenomenon called the precession of the equinoxes, caused by the Earth's wobble that lasts almost 26,000 years, the apparent location of the Winter Solstice sunrise has been ever so slowly moving toward the Galactic Center. Precession may be understood by watching a spinning top. Over many revolutions the top will rise and dip on its axis, not unlike how the Earth does over an extremely long period of time. One complete rise and dip constitutes the cycle of precession.

The Mayans noticed the relative slippage of the positions of stars in the night sky over long periods of observation, indicative of precession, and foretold this great coming attraction. By using an invention called the Long Count, the Mayans fast-forwarded to anchor December 21, 2012 as the end of their Great Cycle and then counted backwards to decide where the calendar would begin. Thus the Great Cycle we are currently in began on August 11, 3114 B.C. But there's more.

The Great Cycle, lasting 1,872,000 days and equivalent to 5,125.36 years, is but one fifth of the Great Great Cycle, known scientifically as the Great Year or the Platonic Year - the length of the precession of the equinoxes. To use a metaphor from the modern industrial world, on Winter Solstice A.D. 2012 it is as if the Giant Odometer of Humanity on Earth hits 100,000 miles and all the cycles big and small turn over to begin anew. The present world age will end and a new world age will begin.

Over a year's time the Sun transits through the twelve houses of the zodiac. Many of us know this by what "Sun sign" is associated with our birthday. Upping the scale to the Platonic Year - the 26,000 year long cycle - we are shifting, astrologically, from the Age of Pisces to the Age of Aquarius. The Mayan calendar does not really "end" in 2012, but rather, all the cycles turn over and start again, vibrating to a new era. It is as if humanity and the Earth will graduate in the eyes of the Father Sun and Grandmother Milky Way.

The Mayan Calandar states "After Thirteen Heavens of Decreasing Choice, and Nine Hells of Increasing Doom, the Tree of Life shall blossom with a fruit never before known in the creation, and that fruit shall be the New Spirit of Men."
So, the calendar comes to an end on Sunday, December 23, 2012. Only a few people will survive the catastrophe that ensues. This will mark the end of the fourth age of humans. In the fifth age, the few that remain will realize their spiritual destiny. In the sixth age, we will realize God within ourselves, and finally, in the seventh age we will become so spiritual that we will be telepathic.

Interestingly enough, the Mayans weren't the only ones that believed the end is coming soon, even modern-day Christians are talking of the 'second coming' at that precise date!

Well, all I have left to say is... I've had a good run.

Last edited by Pierrot Le Fou on Tue May 16, 2006 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jhones

The Vermillion Legion

7066 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The concept's not the end of the world. But the end of this World cycle.

If you read the entire artical, it talks about the Mayan solar wheels. This world cycle began at the end of the Mayan civilization, and will end in 2012. During 2k12 a whole new 26,000 year cycle will begin

Here's a different artical touching on this. http://www.13moon.com/prophecy%20page.htm

I'm going to get myself banned if I keep acting like a jerk...

Last edited by Jhones on Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Pierrot Le Fou

Rain Dogs

37957 Potch
0 Soldiers
196054 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You're right, actually I meant the end of the world as we know it. If there was a massive catastrophe, that wiped out 99.9% of the human race well... thats basically the end of the world, our world. What would come after that, they say a small portion of humans would become deeply spiritual in the fifth epoch. What we know as the formative consumer age would be gone.

I just thought it would sound more dramatic haha.

And I did look through that website earlier, its a good one. Now sure I don't really believe this stuff, because since the start of civilation people have been trying to predict it's end, this is just interesting more than anything.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hang around the otherkin community on live journal, every month or so we get false alarms for the end of the world by supernatural means.

anway its intersting there, what about other 'ages' from other cultures...worlds/ages what no.

people are strange and amazing, aren't they.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is actually very similar to the Zoroastrianism end-of-the-world prophecy, which also should be happening fairly soon. It too has the concept of dividing history into different "ages," with each age becoming more and more good.

What I find interesting is that the Ancient Mayans must have had an impressive understanding of astronomy for their time in order to make this prophecy.
Ormiss

Ashwind

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, the 2012 date is a misinterpretation caused by abbreviations to the Mayan calendar. The actual "end of the current cycle" will occur in millions and millions of years in the future, according to the Mayans. So, no worries. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayan_calendar#End_of_the_world.3F
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well if the world as we know it does end on December 21st 2012 you guys can rest easy knowing that I'll survive and the human race will continue in part due to me and some handpicked supermodels.
Tokuro

White Storms

22016 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nice way of thinking man but in a matter of fact there is no end just like with ourselves
Our bodys become part of the earth and so the world continue with his ways
If i believe the world will end?? Hell yeah it will end (just take a look how things is getting worse) but the mankind will not end. It will simply changes and evolute in the infinite harmony of universe
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally believe that you can't put an expiration date on the planet. If people were supposed to know, I believe it'd be pretty clear. Sure, there's at least 1,000 different theorys on how the world's gonna eventually go "BOOM," but I have no doubt in my mind that something big'll happen after that that everybody will be conscious of, even though their bodies have been blown to little tiny bits of nothingness.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, lets try to make it past 6/6/06 (666) and then we can worry about this "mayan" profecy.

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hahaa... so I wasn't the only one who noticed that 6/6/6 thing... I have it marked as an official holiday on another site... and my final exams start on that day too! Coincidence? I think not!

I want nothing more than this world to end. It is my sole reason for living, in all honesty. Why? Because I like to see things through to the end. It would be the absoloute greatest feeling in existence to know that I was able to see the ending of a 5 billion year long story.

Rain Dogs

37957 Potch
0 Soldiers
196054 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't worry about 6/6/2006, just go to Wikipedia and look up 6/6/1906, 6/6/1806, etc.; on that day the only noticible event to happen will be The Omen hitting theatres. Besides, the "mark of the beast" is actually 616 and the 666 was just a mistranslation

There's also this Prophecy of the 112 Popes that coincides with the Mayan prophecy's relative era. Here's the conclusion of the article.

Wiki wrote:
Pope John Paul II (De labore Solis)

The prophetic motto corresponding to Pope John Paul II is De labore Solis, which literally means "Of the labour of the sun", but "labores solis" ("travails of the sun") is a not uncommon metaphor used to mean solar eclipse. Karol Wojtyła, who later became Pope John Paul II, was born on 18 May 1920 during a partial solar eclipse (over the Indian Ocean), and buried on 8 April 2005, the day of a rare "hybrid" eclipse (over the south-western Pacific and South America). He might also be seen to be the fruit of the intercession of the Woman Clothed with the Sun labouring in Revelation 12 (because of his devotion to the Virgin Mary).

It has also been suggested that the associated Latin phrase could also be an anagram for de borealis sol, of the northern sun, being a luminary coming from Poland to the north. (It should be noted, though, that the phrase "de borealis sol" is agrammatical and meaningless in Latin; the correct phrase for "of the northern sun" should be "de boreali sole"). Another interpretation points simply to the sun rising in the east and his being the first Pope from Eastern Europe. Yet another is that he was the first Pope to go around the world, as the Sun seems to do. A further theory is that the combination of labore and solis cryptically refers to "the sun of the workers", i.e., the star of communism, with John Paul being the only pope to have spent much of his life under a communist regime.

During World War II Pope John Paul II worked in a quarry (laboring in the sunlight).

It is also theorized that the prophetic motto falls in line with the fact that Pope John Paul II was the most travelled Pope in history. He went around the world multiple times, which can be symbolized by the "labour" of the sun.

^ This is an example of how each Pope has fulfilled this prophecy in relation to their mottos according to St. Malachy, who was the bishop to have supposedly constructed this prophecy.

Wiki wrote:
Pope Benedict XVI (Gloria Olivae)

Gloria Olivae, glory of the olive, is the next phrase following De labore Solis. Prior to the papal conclave, this motto led to speculation that the next pontiff would be from the Order of Saint Benedict, whose symbols include the olive branch. Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, elected in April 2005, is not a Benedictine, but did choose Benedict XVI as his regnal name, which might be regarded as a fulfillment of this prophecy.

Yet there can also be a different meaning. By choosing the name Benedict, the Pope became linked with St. Benedict, who in turn is distantly connected to the Olivetans, a small sub-order of Benedictines. (Although it is frequently stated that the Order of St Benedict is also known as that of the Olivetans, this is not true: while all Olivetans are Benedictines, almost no Benedictines are Olivetans.)

Pope Benedict XVI was born on 16 April, the feastday of Saint Benedict Joseph Labre (26 March 1748 - 16 April 1783), also known as the Holy Pilgrim, with whom the Pope now shares both names, Benedict and Joseph. St. Benedict Labre, however, is not associated with olives, Olivetans or Mount Olivet in any way.

Yet another possible interpretation might be that, like his predecessor — who spoke of the Church needing to 'breathe with both lungs' again — Pope Benedict XVI has a special desire to reunite the eastern orthodox churches, separated since 1054, with the Roman Church. The olive can of course be taken as a symbol of Greece, and hence the Greek Orthodox Church (and — by extension — the Russian Orthodox Church which grew out of it). If indeed it turns out that reunion with the 'olive' churches is achieved during Benedict's pontificate (the last time, if only briefly, was at the Council of Florence, the seventeenth Ecumenical Council, 1438‑1445; the Union was intensely unpopular at Constantinople and fell apart after her fall in 1453), it would truly be a glorious achievement worthy of St Malachy's phrase, 'Gloria Olivae'.

Another interpretation was that Gloria Olivae would promote world peace, as symbolised by the olive branch. In a general audience on 27 April 2005, Benedict XVI explained that he chose his regnal name as a link to Benedict XV, Religio depopulata, and that "In his footsteps I place my ministry, in the service of reconciliation and harmony between peoples, profoundly convinced that the great good of peace is above all a gift of God, a fragile and precious gift to be invoked, safeguarded and constructed, day after day and with everyone's contribution".

Also, Pope Benedict XVI is widely expected to restore order and discipline (namely, the rule, Latin regula) within the Catholic church (the sheepfold, L. ovilis, whence ovilia, the place where the sheep lay to rest). This is an imperfect and ungrammatical anagram (de regola ovilia - of the rule of the sheepfold) for the counter-reformation he is expected to introduce to counter the misinterpretations of Vatican Council II.

There was a coincidence of two events, both connected to the olive, but unrelated to each other, with the 2005 Conclave: On April 18, a Turkish presidential candidate won the northern Cyprus elections favouring re-unification peace talks of the two sectors; the flag of Cyprus has two inter-locking olive branches in it. Secondly, on April 20, Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi was forced to resign and later form a new government as a result of pressure from the leftist opposition called l'Ulivo ("The Olive Tree"). Even so, a year later on the 11th April, 2006, the same Olive Group led by former E.U. Commission President, Romano Prodi, won the Italian general elections, giving more effect to the olive tree hypothesis.

Clemente Domínguez y Gómez, the late self-proclaimed Pope of the Palmarian Catholic Church also used to claim that he was the glory of the olive.

Olivetans and the Mount of Olives. Ratzinger may be our last pope if this is true! This next bit could be a fabrication added to this prophecy later than it was written, but who really knows, the omen is agreeably a bad one.

Quote:
Petrus Romanus

*****Note: the authenticity of the following prophecy is in doubt, as it lacks some of the data (such as a number) of the others, may have been added later, and has only been listed once as one of the Papal prophecies.*****

Ominously, the longest and final motto reads, "In persecutione extrema S.R.E. sedebit Petrus Romanus, qui pascet oues in multis tribulationibus: quibus transactis ciuitas septicollis diruetur, & Iudex tremêdus iudicabit populum suum. Finis." (During the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church, the seat will be occupied by Peter the Roman, who will feed his sheep in many tribulations; and when these things are finished, the seven-hilled city will be destroyed, and the terrible Judge will judge his people. The End.)

Several men claiming to be Pope Peter II have emerged in recent years, probably inspired by this motto.

There are several interpretations regarding the last Popes listed by St. Malachy taken by those who believe the prophecies:

* Regarding whether additional Popes, not listed by St. Malachy occur between Gloria Olivae and Petrus Romanus the following differing views are held:
1. Gloria Olivae is immediately followed by Petrus Romanus.
2. Because no number is assigned to Petrus Romanus, he and Gloria Olivae might be one and the same pope.
3. Because no number is assigned to Petrus Romanus, any number of popes could intervene between these two popes.
4. Because no number is assigned to Petrus Romanus, it is also possible that he will not be an actual pope (that is, that "Peter the Roman" may take on the role of the Pope without putting on the robe of the Pope). Under this possible scenario, a catastrophe at the Vatican -- perhaps a terrorist attack -- could wipe out the top leadership of the Church during either a consistory or a conclave of the College of Cardinals. As a result, with no viable College surviving to elect a new pontiff, this particular scenario would have a surviving official of the Roman Curia succeeding to the top leadership of the Church but not as Pope. Since he would not rise to the Papacy itself but instead would become, in effect, the top caretaker of the Church, he would not need to assume a new papal name such as Peter; thus he would keep the name he has had since his birth in Italy, and that name already would be Peter (or, in Italian, Pietro). Currently (that is, as of March 2006) there is only one such candidate for Petrus Romanus within the Roman Curia. His name is Pietro Parolin, the Vatican Under-Secretary of State for Relations with States, appointed by Pope John Paul II in 2002 to serve under Archbishop Giovanni Lajolo. A native of Schiavon, Italy, Monsignor Parolin was born in January 1955.
5. That the prophecies are indeed elaborate Jesuit forgeries of the 1600s.

* Regarding whether the Papacy ends with Petrus Romanus, the following differing views are held:
1. Petrus Romanus will be the final Pope. The end of his papacy will mark either the end of the papacy, the end of the Roman Catholic Church, the Church's final triumph, and/or the end of this world (See: Apocalypse, End of the world, Armageddon, Eschatology).
2. There will be additional Popes following Petrus Romanus, about which Malachy did not write. There is also the possibility that these additional popes might be considered antipopes, which could justify their omission in St. Malachy's eyes (However, several antipopes are mentioned in the Prophecy.)
3. If Petrus Romanus was a later and spurious addition to the prophecy, that leaves Gloria Olivae as the last listed Pope. That could still mean that there are or are not more Popes to come.

Many websites claim that Petrus Romanus does not exist at all. A booklet containing the Papal Prophecies written in the 1950's is the only evidence of a Petrus Romanus and was written by a Catholic. "In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church there will reign Peter the Roman, who will feed his flock among many tribulations; after which the seven-hilled city (Rome, the seat of the Vatican) will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people. The End."

"Peter the Roman" is obviously not going to be a Roman, but you have to remember when this prophecy was written. Rome was the greatest city in that time, so think of it as a metaphor for civilization to collapse. Maybe he'll have something to do with the said Antichrist, or maybe Ratzinger is himself the spawn of Satan?

(I'm going to change the title of this thread slightly.)
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well what was said about the final pope of the Roman Catholic Church was to be a "black" pope. some take it as literal, others that he will have a shady character. i find the whole end of day prophecies for every belief and nation rather interesting, but i tend not to dwell on it too much. i hate when they use such events to rant about repenting and cleansing the earth of "sinners" and preaching non tolerance of gay people or people who do not follow christ, and how evangelicals try to match events (9/11, Iraq) to parts of the bible, and how when "the horsemen cometh" and stuff we won't be saved unless we devote our life to christ and christ alone.

for that reason, i don't think about it. it's a long way away.
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm still with the opinion that it 06/06/06 is the end of the world I'm going to be irate because it's my first time being out of the country. On a real boat! AARG!

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jorge Prima wrote:
Well, lets try to make it past 6/6/06 (666) and then we can worry about this "mayan" profecy.

We have made it past this date, 20 times, in 1906, 1806, 1706, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: