Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Whats your Biggest News Headline of 2005?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Whats your Biggest News Headline of 2005? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well with the new year coming upon us sooner for some than others, for those who have been watching the news, and paying attention to the world we look back. We look back at what was the largest news maker in your personal opinion over the last 12 months, and why it affected you the most, over everything else. So this is where everyone can discuss what they believe was the biggest newsmaker of the year, and why it struck them so harshly, if only in their personal opinion.

Personally over the past year many things have struck me as shocking, and simply rediculous both locally, and world wide. There were a lot to choose from this year, and even if it isnt well known to members of the forum, thats ok too. We might get to learn something about what is going on in the area where you are from, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that is there?

So with all of that put aside well what is my major news story of 2005: Plain and simply everything that happened as a result of Hurricane Katrina, and Rita no less all at once. None of it had any personal dealings with me, as I dont really know anyone who lives in the region, or even went to the region thus far. However hearing the stories, the mounting casualty reports, and everything dealing with this grand mess, it was the first thing that jumped out at me for this. Not so much that it came as a surprise to anyone who knew anything about the levies they have there, but rather the surprise came in some other form. The sheer lack of organization both from Fema, and the state goverment of Louisiana. This was something that was frankly a long time coming, yet they did nothing to evacuate the people when they saw the hurricane coming. How several days before the hurricane hit, a company offered to bus people out of the city en masse free of charge but they turned it down. The buses ended up underwater, and what help were they following the storm for anyone, when they could have been moved sooner? This is the main chunk of the story, with all the real importance coming with this.

Then, of course came Kanye West, whose mouth and attitude chose to blame President Bush of all people for this. The goverment official with the absolute least amount of dealing with this issue, since it's a state issue not a federal. If nothing else, it has been further found that his accusations were baseless, and his information wrong for that matter. He claimed that Bush didnt send aid soon enough because the victims were poor, and they were black. Now I dont quite understand his reasoning for even throwing it at Bush, but it has been found that percentage wise, as it comes to those within the city that died. The ratio of "white" people that died was in fact many times larger than that of "black" people. Funny how that works, and in the end Kanye may as well have put to use the term "Open mouth, insert foot".

While the London Bombings, and everything that came from that also got a lot of press, it is not as predominant in the mainstream anymore. Every time I put it on CNN, as of late I am always hearing about Hurricane Katrina this, Hurricane Katrina that. That wasnt my reasoning for making this pick, but it didnt hurt matters either. So what is your biggest news headline of the year?

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it me it seems americans were affected alot more by the bombings in london than we were, we just got on with life. for me the biggest story would be the iraqi elections, its about time they set up there own democraatic government, so that all th troops can withdraw and let them run there own affairs.
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well in Indonesia the biggest news headlines are (not in particular order) :
1. The Tsunami
2. The Mandala Airline Planecrash
3. The 2nd Bali Bombing
4. The raise of the fuel price
5. The reshuffle cabinet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zaleria

1296207 Potch
13650 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, if there is one thing that rocked the Philippines this year it would be the who scandal known to us Filipinos and maybe some of you guys as the "Hello Garci" scandal. It's about a wiretapped conversation between the commisioner handling the vote counts and the president. The conversation shows that our country's current president cheated in the elections.

After the wiretapped conversation was shown to the world, the country became a battlefield between the anti-gloria(our president), which is comprised of the majority of the Filipino people and supported by many high ranking governement officials and some leaders of the Holy Catholic church in our country, and the pro-gloria, which is comprised of the loayl supporters of the president and the policemen.

Many footages were shown about how policemen beat the hell out of priests and civilians because of what they call as "calibrated preemptive response". Heck, even the former vice-president was pushed back violently by a water-bombing.
...Politics in our country is hell... 2005 is the most politically controversial year for us Filipinos....

Tonby, while I'm not in Zexen wrote:

I just noticed that if you turn Zexen Activity Levels into an acronym, it makes ZAL. Oh the irony! =P
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"Saftey Experts Say School Bus Passengers Should Be Belted"

or maybe:

"Group Condemns Chicken Choking Toy"

or maybe:

"Juvenile Court To Try Shooting Defendant"

They were all pretty big headlines. They affected me pretty deeply...:mrgreen:
Captain Hero

Forsaken Elites

194469 Potch
361 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It really bothers me everytime I read the last newspaper of the year and I find tons of articles about deaths and houses burning down. It happens every year but people still can't find a way to stop it.

And I can't deny that all the political problems here are turning to really big issues. Being broadcasted over the CNN just shows that it needs to be solved. :( It really annoyed me when there was a time that almost all my plans every weekend were cancelled because of possible Coup D'etat attempts that might burst out.

RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Without a doubt the entire Hurricane Katrina situation was the biggest Headline of the year, here in the United States. The submergence of one of our greatest port cities and one of the greatest cultural locations in this hemoisphere is definitely bigger news than anything else going on. The Tsunami technically happened in 2004. The aftermath was a big story but the actual tsumani itself was in late december.

I think some of the aftermath stories were big as well. The Kanye West accusing George W. Bush that he doesn't care about black people was classic and will forever be one of those lines we'll all remember like "I did not have sexual relations..." and "I am not a crook". Also there are some heartwarming tales of people reuniting with loved ones.

I'm glad that New Orleans is starting to "resurface" bothe physically and culturally. That city is definitely salvagable and hgopefully this will serve a warning to prepare better for oncoming disasters and crisises.

Another big story in 2005 was the French riots against Muslims or something of that sort. Also the entire car burning thing. That was pretty big for while it happened.

But the titlr is what is YOUR biggest headline in 2005. So MY personal headline is definitely Ley leaves the Nameless Lands. That pretty much took my world by storm. I was unprepared and didn't see it coming. Nah, I'm joking. But in all seriousness my friend's father's death hit my world hard. It wasn't a good year for him. And this year hasn't gone any better for him either. I know it is only like 2 days in, but is sucks.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Prince Crisafulli

Fulli Force

5827 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To me the whole Conservative Party leadership contest and elections were what grabbed my attention the most last year, as I follow the Conservative Party, I am glad that David Cameron prevailed victorious since he was my favourite candidate from the start.
The first Prime Ministerial Question Time that he did as leader of the oppossition was truly astounding, he wiped the floor with Anthony Blair and then threw him on the front bench to the chancellor of the exchequer Gordon Brown. Then when the Labour chief whip tried to interupt him since her leader was being beaten to such a huge and antagonising extent he decided to put her in her place as well, he is a great public speaker and a parliamentary speaker, he had me hooked from his speech in Blackpool on 4th October during the leadership election. He's inspired me to be a huge contributor to the Conservative Party in the future as a young person.

Cameron: Change to win

Speech at Conservative Party Conference 2005

Introduction

"We meet in the shadow of a third consecutive election defeat.

Defeated by a government that has...

...complicated the tax system...

...dumbed down the education system...

...demoralised the health system.

...and bankrupted the pension system.

It's ...

...made promises that no-one believes...

...passed powers to a European Union that nobody trusts...

...and set up Regional Assemblies that nobody wants - and nobody ever voted for.

And still we were defeated.

We were defeated by a government that won fewer votes than any in history.

But let's not blame the electoral system. Let's not take comfort in solid, but slow progress. Let's have the courage to say: they've failed, but so have we.

And let's resolve here, at this conference, when we put defeat behind us, failure behind us, to look ourselves in the eye and say: never, ever again.

Why we are Conservatives

I joined this party because I love my country. I love our character. I love our people, our history, our role in the world. This is the only party that understands and is proud of what we've been and who we are.

I joined this party because I believe in freedom. We are the only party believing that if you give people freedom and responsibility, they will grow stronger and society will grow stronger.

I joined this party because I believe in aspiration. This party, the Conservative Party, is the only party that wants everybody to be a somebody, a doer not a done-for.

That's the spirit we have to recapture. I want people to feel good about being a Conservative again.

Education

Aspiration is enabled by education.

How cruelly it is disabled by Labour today.

When one fifth of children leave primary school unable to write properly.

When one million school children play truant each year.

And when the very essence of aspiration - social mobility - is going backward in this country.

There are far fewer children from state schools going to our best universities. And it's getting worse.

What have Labour done?

Created an exam system where sixteen per cent means a pass.

Where parents of children in failing schools have no redress and no way out.

And we're now a country where "failure" is called "deferred success".

The Government introduced the National Literacy strategy. It's a good idea - in fact it was Gillian Shephard's idea.

But why can't children be taught to read with synthetic phonics, a method that works?

Treating every child as if they're the same fails the child who's struggling and the child who's not.

So why can't we have streaming and setting to help all children reach their potential?

We've got to win the great debate about education in this country.

To give choice to parents. Freedom to schools. And to fight for high standards.

We must cast away the progressive theories and the all must have prizes culture that's done so much damage to so many children for so long.

And we must win the battle over education for another vital reason.

Parents with disabled children have to fight for everything.

Just imagine what it's like when the special school that gives their child the love they need, the care they need, the therapy they need, and yes, the education they need...

...when that special school is threatened with closure.

I've seen it, and it breaks my heart.

Labour's idea of compassion is to put every child in the same class in the same school - and call it equality and inclusion.

But I say that's not compassion ... it's heartless, it's gutless, and it's got to stop.

That's why a Conservative government will save special schools.

Brown

Everyone knows that education, like our other public services, desperately needs radical reform.

And who's the man standing in the way? Gordon Brown, the great roadblock.

Everyone knows that our economy needs lower and simpler taxes.

Who's standing in the way? The great tax riser and complicator, Gordon Brown.

Everyone knows that business need deregulation to compete with China and India.

Who's standing in the way? The great regulator and controller, Gordon Brown.

How are we going to stop him?

Tony Blair can't. God knows, he's tried hard enough.

There's only one group of people who can stop him - and that is we in this room.

Change

There's one thing Gordon Brown fears more than anything else...

...a Conservative Party that has the courage to change.

So let's give him the fright of his life.

There are some people who say "all we've got to do is wait for the economy to hit the rocks, for Gordon Brown to be more left wing than Blair. All we need is one more heave."

I think that's a pathetic way for a great party to behave.

One more heave means one more defeat.

I don't want to hang around and wait till something turns up - do you?

Some say "hit Labour harder, and the electorate will come to their senses."

I say that's rubbish. People know that Labour have failed. They want to know how we will succeed.

I don't want to let them down - do you?

Some say that we should move to the right.

I say that will turn us into a fringe party, never able to challenge for government again.

I don't want to let that happen to this party - do you?

We don't just need new policies or presentation or organisation or even having a young, passionate, energetic leader...though come to think of it that might not be such a bad idea!

We've got to recognise that we're in third place amongst under 35s.

That we've lost support amongst women.

That public servants no longer think we're on their side.

That the people with aspirations who swept Margaret Thatcher to power have drifted away from our party.

We have to change and modernise our culture and attitudes and identity.

When I say change, I'm not talking about some slick re-branding exercise.

What I'm talking about is fundamental change, so that when we fight the next election street by street, house by house, flat by flat...

...we have a message that is relevant to people's lives today, that shows we're comfortable with modern Britain, and that we believe our best days lie ahead.

I want to be able to say to the mum who's thinking "how will I pay for Christmas" and worrying how to get the kids to school...

...yes, we want to leave more money in your pocket, but we know the value of good public transport too.

So we'll share - that's right we'll share - the fruits of economic growth between tax reduction and public services.

To the people living in our inner cities of all races and religions, grappling with the problems caused by family breakdown, poor housing, and low aspirations...

We know we have a shared responsibility; that we're all in this together; that there is such a thing as society - it's just not the same thing as the state.

So just as we said to business leaders in the 1980s, go to our inner cities, create jobs and wealth and opportunity in Enterprise Zones...

...so we should now say to the voluntary sector leaders whose solutions are working where the state is failing, we'll set up Social Action Zones where we set you free to turn neighbourhoods around.

To the family trying to keep their heads above water to provide for their kids and to give them the time they need, we'll say...

...yes, we believe in the family because the most important thing in the world is that children are brought up in a stable, loving home.

So we'll help you with childcare. We'll make sure the benefit system helps all families get together and stay together. And we'll support marriage because it's a great institution - so we'll back it through the tax system.

To the new parent who worries about the air her kids will breathe, the state of the parks where they'll play and the food that they put in their mouths, we'll say...

...yes, the Conservative Party understands that the quality of life matters, as well as the quantity of money.

To the young student whose horizons are broader than these shores, broader than Europe, we'll say...

...yes, the Conservative Party wants Britain to be a proud, self confident, outward looking country that engages ethically and enthusiastically with the wider world.

And when we talk about foreign affairs, we don't just stand up for Gibraltar and Zimbabwe but for the people of Darfur and sub-Saharan Africa who are living on less than a dollar a day and getting poorer while we're getting richer.

That's what I mean by change.

We've got to change our culture so we look, feel, think and behave like a completely new organisation.

Young People - Politics

By changing our culture we can change politics too.

When I meet young people they tell me how sick they are of the whole political system.

The shouting, finger-pointing, backbiting and point-scoring in the House of Commons.

That's all got to go.

I want young people to see politics not as a waste of time but as a way to change the world.

I want every young person in this country with ideas and talent and energy says yes!...

...I want to make a difference, I've got something to offer, I will get involved.

New generation

So let's build together a new generation of Conservatives.

Let's switch a new generation on to Conservative ideas.

Let's dream a new generation of Conservative dreams.

There is a new generation of social entrepreneurs tackling this country's most profound social problems.

There is a new generation of business men and women who are taking on the world, creating the wealth and opportunity for our future.

We can lead that new generation.

We can be that new generation.

Changing our Party to change our country. It will be an incredible journey.

I want you to come with me.

We'll be tested. And challenged.

But we'll never give up. We'll never turn back.

So let the message go out from this conference...

...a Modern Compassionate Conservatism is right for our times, right for our party - and right for our country.

If we go for it...

If we seize it...

If we fight for it with every ounce of passion, vigour and energy from now until the next election...

...nothing and no one can stop us."
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

-The Tsunami

-The London Bombings

-Hurricane Katrina

-The death of John Paul the Pope

Those are some of the headlines that stuck in my mind this year
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Prince Crisafulli wrote:
All that stuff he wrote

Are you...recruiting me?

liberal>conservative

Funny fact, in Australia the conservative party is called Liberal and the liberal party is called Labor. :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: