Suikoden Ugly and Informational Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Rune Cannon Pronunciation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Rune Cannon Pronunciation Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm just going to copy and paste this directly from my LiveJournal:

~~~~~~~~~~

Why is it that every time a character in Suikoden Tactics says Rune Cannon they pronounce it Rune CANnon? What the hell? It's every character too. They put extra emphasis on the "can" part of "cannon" This has intrigued me since I first started playing the game. It's annoying too. Why do they do it?

They say Rune CANnon like they are emphasizing the word "cannon" to help differentiate the term Rune Cannon from anything else rune related. Like if I were to say "Rune master, rune pieces, rune crystals, and rune cannon" I would emphasize the words "master", "pieces", "crystals", and "cannon" The voice actors pronounce "cannon" like this every time they speak, in ever bit of dialogue. So it isn't just one voice actor doing it. The voice actors were told to pronounce it like this.

But why?

^Actual quote!
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Uhhhhhhhh... that paragraph just confuzzled the hell out of me. :?
DocFrance

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think you're reading into things a bit too much.
KFCrispy

51948 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hahhahahaha i've had a problem with that strange pronounciation too. i think Coop and Heinz pronoune it the expected way, but everyone else has to CANnon it.
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I haven't advanced the storyline for like two days because of my hunting addiction. I have not noticed anything strange or annoying at all. Should I look out (or listen) for this, or am I better off being innocent about it? :lol:
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's just...its like some strange conspiracy. Why do they all say it so oddly?! Why?! Argh! It can't be just some coincidence, because every character pronounces it funny. They were told to do it.

I think I know what it is...its mind control.

Yes, thats it...they say it funny to send subliminal messages into our heads. "Suikoden 4 was a good game" is what they're trying to hypnotize us with. Well, no more! My aluminum helmet will see to that.

KFCrispy noticed it too. Now I know I'm not crazy!

*peeks through blinds at neighbors with shotgun in hand*

^Actual quote!
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree. The pronounciation was starting to bother me throughout the game. Also, some of the names were getting to me. I wish Kyril was named Kyle, I wish Andarc would have been named Andrew. Every time I saw Andarc or thought about it my mind was forced to wander to Dexters Laboratory in which his nemisis is named Mandark. Arg. Alot of the names are close to normal names but aren't, like Simeon, Nohl, and Yohn. It's like John with a soft J(...yogging...). Pronounciation in general was difficult at times. I did however welcome the voice acting, and having a speaking character, though some people's voices got irritating. And Lino's voice changed. I liked his old voice, I want it back and I won't take no for an answer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh I hear you people. I was driven insane by that. I skipped all text with rune CANnon in them. That was so annoying. The natural accent falls on "rune". I don't understand why they did it.

I thought about Dexter's Lab too, Acheron. It creeped me out. I kept thinking he'd pull out a duck in the moonlight and I'd have a new character. Creepy. And Heinz made me think of ketchup.
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gee I never really noticed anything wrong with the prounciation of "Cannon". I really think you're looking into it a bit much.
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I certainly noticed it and thought it weird, however I found it fine because if anything I just interpreted the pronunciation as a dialect quirk of that part of the Suikoden world. Just like Canadians sound different to NA, and there are always extremes even within a given country.

With the inclusion of voice acting this is something that I really would like to see realised in Suikoden, other games with VA just have different voices for different characters, but imagine having it more like LOTR where one can often tell where a person is from by their dialect and pronunciation.

Suikoden ( like LOTR ) is the perfect world to bring this kind of geographical dialects into, though there will always be people that dislike certain dialects in games just like some people can't stand some accents IRL.

The only thing I'm a bit worried about is the US voice actors and whether they will pick up on such subtleties, its all well and good for the Japanese VAs to do it but most of us can't tell apart the different dialects of Japan.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought i was the only one to ever notice that. It's highly annoying, to say the least.
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's just part of the voice acting being generally bad.
Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Or maybe they just ask for words, and string them together. It's possible they didn't like the way cannon sounded, but like the way the actors said the words can, and on. It sounds strange that they would do that, but to save time one never knows.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gahhhh, I noticed this too, mostly from Kyril. All of Kyril's dialogue annoyed me though, because I hated his voice actor, so I just chalked it up to him sucking. I didn't notice it as much with the other characters until you mentioned it, but yeah, I can think of a couple others who distinctly pronounce the word like that. And I have no idea why. I am willing to discount the possibility that they're trying to hypnotize me into thinking Suikoden 4 was a good game, because I still think it was a mediocre one. :P

It's probably something more like: "The Ruins of Obel are fun."

It could be that they're pronouncing it strangely to differentiate between the Rune Cannons and Rune Masters or whatever, but...the real question is, how did they pronounce it in Suikoden IV? It's been a while since I've played it, so I can't recall, and I lended my copy to a friend...but if they pronounce the word normally in Suikoden IV, that rules out it being a regional dialect. All of the nations represented in Rhapsodia / Suikoden Tactics are represented in IV. Graham Cray and Elenor are from the Scarlet Moon Empire (maybe a couple other folks too?), the other badguys are from Kooluk, and then everyone else is from the Island Nations.

If it's not a regional dialect, and it's not hypnosis, then it must be part of the lousy voice acting trying in a lame way to place emphasis on the most important term to Suikoden Tactics' storyline.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Xai

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It always annoyed me too. I noticed they stopped later in the game (or I just got used to it...). If I remember correctly, they pronounced rune cannon normally in IV.

{livejournal/deviantart/broken-shards.net}
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: