Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Keystone Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Song of Ice and Fire
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voan Darl

344185 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to go to bed, but on a side note really fast I was very dissapointed that Aemon wasn't a head of the dragon... hahahahah. I'll reply more tomorow.
Voan Darl

344185 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The way I could see it happening, if all comes toghether with Danny as she plans would be her riding into King's Landing on dragon back and laying down some serious pwnage. She has no idea about the others, and unless they are a total blight upon the seven kingdoms by the time she gets there, I couldn't see her going on a crusade versus them first. She simply doens't know. This whole thing is so complicated at the moment because all the pieces that would make this puzzle come together are so spread apart. You have the captain (I keep forgetting his name) in control of the horn, Danny struggling to keep the dragons under control now, two missing heads... and if Jon is a head (awesome!) and even if that captain takes one, or the guy from the golden brigade all this stuff has to come from about every corner of the world. George has a way of making everything fall into place however.

On the topic of the betrayals, I forget how many times shes been betrayed already... was it once or twice? There was the assassination attempt in the bazaar, I think they counted that. Uh, didn't Jorah do something to her? I think that might have been two... there should be one more. What that is going to be? I can't help but see that ... Euron! Thats his name. I can't help but see him becoming more of a bigger role in this. Going after the dragons, and having that damn horn (which i'm also seeing becoming a huge part) since they mentioned a rumor about it having the ability to control dragons. I mentioned the whole fire thing about it in the earlier post, so perhaps hes gonna try and use it, get screwed over and it will fall into the hands of Danny, sealing her as a total pimptress, haha.

Jon Snow I think is only just becoming the total fucking bad ass that he is going to be (big Jon fan). I would have liked to hear more about Rhaegar cause that guy sounded like a pretty sweet dude himself. Eddard did a pretty good job with him, i'll agree and I think we see that start to come through more and more as this story progress'. The Jon snow of Storm of Swords and Feast for Crows were very different people. He seems alot older and wiser in Feast, although its really just a change of mannerisms and the weight of leadership. Also true in the point the only guiding light Danny has is Barristan. Which I could see him being a bit bias in his views of the kingdoms as well, seeing as how they gave him the boot pretty forcefully (that was awesome though when an unarmed Barristan killed 3 gold cloaks on the way out of the city to escape, woot woot!).

On the midget actor point, I don't think that one role is going to typecast you into the fantasy midget dwarf category. I mean let's be honest here. The guy is fuckin short. There are only so many roles he can play. I guess he could always move to the role of the dwarf in a motorized wheelchair like that guy in Lone Wolf McQuade starring Chuck Norris. He was an arms dealer. Everyone is gonna see the guy as "the guy under 4 foot" anyway, cause the guy is under 4 foot. I digress. And yes it would be kind of funny to see special effects turn a midget into a bigger person, although I think it would probably just look like an oversized midget...
Darko

Spell to Bind Forever

235341 Potch
0 Soldiers
5809 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just finished reading A Feast for Crows and gah! I need more George R.R. Martin! Sucks that Dance with Dragons got pushed back until next Spring. Oh well...

My favorite characters are, in no particular order:

Arya Stark--- I've liked her from the very beginning. She's just a little firecracker, full of life and spunk at first and then courage and perseverance as the series goes on. It's hard to believe that a 10-year old would live through so much, and see so much death and despair, yet manage to keep living. I also like that there is quite a bit to laugh at in her chapters, amidst the death and despair. :P

Eddard--- Argh. I loved Ned. He was awesome. Honorable and righteous to the core. I would have really love to continue reading about him and I can only wonder how the story could have progressed with him alive. His death was probably the biggest jaw-dropper as of yet and it happened so early too. I didn't know Martin was so bold in killing his characters, but to be honest, it's one of the reasons I got hooked.

Catelyn--- I like her. She's very headstrong and is the epitome of 'The Mother' in my eyes. I was crushed at the Red Wedding. I had a feeling it was coming but it was pretty heartbreaking the way that chapter ended. Poor Rob. Poor Catelyn! She's become something scary, donning the name "Lady Stoneheart" and I'm very intrigued as to what Martin has planning for her.

Tyrion--- This guy has really taken me on a rollercoaster. I've loathed and loved him through various parts of the series and after his last chapter in Storm of Swords, I'm stuck at love. He really is a tortured soul, the black sheep, the outcast--- trying, without luck, to gain approval and love his whole life. It's quite sad. I couldn't see it before, but now I see clearly what a good character he is, in every sense of the word.

Brienne--- She's great. I love how she is a combination of strength and valor; kindness and loyalty. I feel bad for her and can connect with some of her decisions. She's one of the characters I've been rooting for since she was introduced. Great character and I really hope we get to see more of her.

The Lannister Twins have been interesting to read about, but I hate them both for very different reasons. Jaime, I can at least appreciate it his attempt to fix the wrongs he has caused. Cersei on the other hand... lets just say I can't wait for Maggie's prophecy to come true. The hellspawn she raised and her own heartless nature has garnered much hate from me. I like Sansa Stark, but for a lot of her chapters I just found myself pitying her. There was not a lot of substance there, not until she escaped King's Landing. I hate Littlefinger even though he 'saved' her. He was a huge contributing factor in Eddard's death. And on that note, I think I haven't been able to forgive Sansa for her STUPID decision to tell Cercei her father's plan. Probably the biggest event leading up to Ned's murder. :evil:

I hated Daenery's for quite a while, just because of how blind she was of her own heritage. You could really see just how deep Viserys had gotten into her head. It wasn't until after she reached the slave cities that I started to like and respect her. I'm eager to see her character and story develop. I also didn't like Jon Snow's storyline that much. I dunno, I guess I was more interested in the War of the Five Kings and every time I saw Jon Snow's chapters I was annoyed that I had to take a break from the intrigue and go back up to the Wall. I wasn't very interested in the Wildlings or the Others even though the whole Night's Watch tradition I did like. I do like him as a character... it was his storyline that I wasn't very impressed with. I really hope he has a bigger and better role in the upcoming books--- one that is more relevant to the main storyline.

Bran's storyline was boring for the most part. Lots of padding and not much happening. They just kept talking about the same thing over and over and it always left me wanting more. Here's hoping for an actual climax to his portion of the story.

I like Davos, even though I feel his characterization wasn't nearly as strong as most of the other characters.

I'm on the fence about Theon Greyjoy. I want to hate him for his betrayal, but I can understand his motives. There are rumors that he may still be alive so who knows what kind of things his character will see next.

Other non-POV characters that I really like are Berric Dondarrion, Rob Stark, Robert Baratheon, The Hound, Gendry, Mia Stone, Brynden Tully, the Sand Snakes, and Jorah Mormont.

I finished the preview chapter of Dance with Dragons only today and I'm already suffering from withdrawals. ;_; I read all four books in the span of 3-4 months. That's how good it was. Maybe I should have paced myself a little more... XD

RIP Gabriel J. Figueroa 1987-2007
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It wasn't Margery that was about Cersei's prophecy. It's Dany. Or at least that's my opinion.

Anyways, I really disagree with you about Catelyn. I loathed her to the very end, almost as much as Cersei because they were both so very much alike underneath it all. Another part was that I very much like John. He's one of my favorite, and I could never really come to like her after seeing her treatment of him. Telling him he should have been the one to almost die after Bran's fall and stuff.

Cersei I've come to believe is just.. completely insane and delusional. And not only that, she's this mix between obsessive mother and greedy, self serving bitch. And they both conflict with each other to such a point where she's putting herself being Queen over Tommen. And then during her short stint as Queen, she probably makes the biggest mistake in the book yet. Giving power to the church, when ANOTHER insane man is in charge and has an army of followers.

Jamie on the other hand.. started out really bad. But has changed alot. And I hate to admit it, but I find myself really liking him in the last book. He wasn't a bad kid really from his past sequences. He was trained and brought up by some of the most well known white cloaks, but I think the up bringing and influence of his father and his family (especially his sister) screwed him up.

Tyrion I expect to find Dany soon. Perhaps even become one of the heads of the dragon. Haven't decided yet. I like him though.. he's a very complex character.

John like I said was one of my favorite. Up on the top three for me for character development. From when he leaves Winterfell to reaching the wall and beyond to the Wildlings and his return and appointment to Commander of the Night's Watch. He started out from the spoiled kid into a fairly fine leader. Even if he's still a bit wet behind the ears. Another candidate for the head of the dragons.

Dany is my absolute favorite. The largest character development in the series so far. She's turning into a very good Queen. And really She and John and maybe Bran are in my eyes, the biggest salvation factors Westeros has. Dany to unite the Southern Westeros, Bran to unite the North and John to give them a common cause. I really love how she's went from this naive frightened girl, to a growing woman and magnificent Queen. I don't always agree with her decisions but so far so good!

Arya... I like Arya for the most part. Her last chapters haven't been too good. But I have a feeling she'll pick up again soon. I'm waiting for her sword instructor to appear again.

Sansa I loath as well. She's just like her mother. It's something overall I've noticed. The Tully kids I never really liked. With Bran being the exception for the most part. And Sansa is the biggest of them all. She's such alittle bitch. And i completely agree. For what she did to her father Ned, I'll never ever forgive her. Throw in what she did to Ayra and Numeria make it so I can't stand her at all.

Theon is still alive. He'll be appear as um. Pek? Or something like that. The original Pek was one of th openers in the books and died during the ransacking of Winterfell. Theon I think took up his idenity to hid himself. I don't care much for him. I'm much more interested in his sister Asha. She's show to been intelligent and strong willed. She knows and overall cares for her people, and is a good commander. I think Theon needs to learn from her honestly.

Davos is the man. He's so far the only guy other than Eddard who's been on the straight and narrow since the start, stuck to his guns about it and never wavered. We'll see where that takes him yes? Because we all know where it landed Eddard...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Song of Ice and Fire Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Simply because it wasn't mentioned anywhere as far as I can see, I'd like everyone to know, if you don't already...that HBO gave A Song of Ice and Fire a [url=http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/ne ws/e3ie9098baec9eb95cdf64383a225032180:zc6081hp]pilot order![/url:zc6081hp]

I really hope this goes through, as, if ASoIaF was ever to be made for the screens, this is easily the most ideal setup it could have. As we all know, it'd never work as a movie. Too much relies on character development, and 2 hours-ish per book just isn't enough. 20+, however, will do nicely.

Also, HBO have shown, with Rome in particular, that they won't bawk at showing the adult content that is so embedded in our Song. Done faithfully, I'd expect to hear some fuss about Dany's choice of clothing, especially at her age... :lol:

I can never decide which characters are my favourite, because they are always changing/dying. One thing I noticed when I was reading these books, is that, when finishing a character's chapter, I'd think "Well, that's definitely my favourite character!" only to read the next, and feel the same sentiment for another. That's a credit to the characters here, I think. Other than a select few, they are really strong characters, and worthy of much praise. Of course, that just makes their deaths all the harder to bear!

A Dance with Dragons, come soon! Please!

Spell to Bind Forever

235341 Potch
0 Soldiers
5809 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, yes. I agree with you very much about Catelyn's hate towards Jon. It's clear she's displacing her anger towards Eddard because (1)he's not Brandon, who she was previously supposed to marry and apparently had more of a connection to and (2)the fact that he 'betrayed' her and sired a bastard child. (Although I found myself loving your theory that Jon might actually be Rhaegar son. That would add a lot of depth to his story, and seeing how Martin has kept the whole Eddard trying to save his sister backstory very secret, I think it's a huge possibility). Back to Catelyn. Even though she has done quite a bit that make me dislike her (apparently she also possesses the crazy gene from the Tully's... not just her sister Lisa), including her arrest of Tyrion, I still like her because I feel that beneath it all, she is essentially good. Whereas Cersei has none of the good qualities and is basically made up of evil and hate. Even the "motherly" side of her I see as creepy--- I think she only loves her children because they are proof/result of the 'beautiful love' she and Jaime share.

I also agree that I like Jaime a lot more. I love how he was developed from this 'kingslaying' monster into someone that can actually make right decisions and take control of his life.

I think I've pinpointed why I disliked reading Dany's chapters. Mostly, at the time I still thought that the Starks were going to win the war and everything would be good, only to have Dany return to Westeros and wreck destruction over the land. I didn't want that. But as the War of Five Kings drew to a close and it was clear that it was the Lannisters that had the upper hand, I was rooting for her and wanted to see her and her dragons fry some Lion ass. :twisted: From how it left off though, it looks like she didn't really have to do anything--- Cercei screwed things up quite well on her own. Also, I didn't realize that Dany could be the "younger Queen" until you mentioned it. Seeing as how Margery is in quite a fix, she will likely prove not to be the one Maggie was referring to.

Sansa still intrigues me because Littlefinger is trying to groom her to make her into the Queen of Winterfell. I wonder how that will turn out and if she will later be painted as an antagonist. Even though I don't like her much, I would feel bad to see her manipulated by Littlefinger like that.

I completely forgot about Asha. I like her too, although the trick she played on her brother when he first return to the Iron Islands was kind of disturbing. XD

I'm excited about it becoming a TV series. I think with the right actors and good writers, it could turn out great. Hopefully, Martin is adamant about them not changing things around. They have to stay as true to the original story as possible!

RIP Gabriel J. Figueroa 1987-2007
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Song of Ice and Fire Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As Milan may recall, I pre-purchased a replica of Longclaw last Summer, and it recently arrived. I thought the people in this topic may like to see what it looks like!

Here it is on it's plaque. It actually says "Winter is Coming," but when the sword's up there, the grip always hides it from view.

Here, I've layed it down on some silk-like fabric. With the flash photography, the file turned out to be 9MB! Took quite a while to upload, I'll tell you.

Here is a picture of the blade texture. Longclaw is, of course, made of Valyrian Steel, and that's what it's meant to look like, it seems. What I was impressed with, is that they actually managed to get light to ripple off of it, as the books kept describing.

Here's a close-up of the hilt on the plaque.

It came with a Certificate of Authenticity also, signed by George R. R. Martin, which was great. I would take a picture, but it's been laminated! :lol:

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got 1.9 words: frickin' awesome.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: