Suikoden Ugly and Irrational Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Song of Ice and Fire
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: The Song of Ice and Fire Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since there were a number of people who are fans of the book, i thought that there should be a Topic on it.

For those who don't know the book, it's a fantasy series created by George R.R. Martin. The setting is in medieval times (as most fantasy novels are), on a continent named Westeros, which should remind people that it looks alot like the British Isle. On this continent rules the Seven Kingdoms, and ruling them all is the King on his Irone Throne, along with the King's Hand.
The story focuses mostly on the noble Stark Family, whose Kingdom is the North, their sigil the direwolf. Eddard Stark, the head of the family, is to be appointed the King's Hand and also investigates the mysterious death of the previous Hand. But there is also the story of Bran, the middle child, who was crippled and even then was nearly killed by assassin. Catelyn Stark searches for the person behind the attemped assassination. And then there is Jon Snow, Eddard's bastard son who is to be sent to the Night's Watch, a company of condemned men whose duty is to guard the vast Wall, that protects the Seven Kingdoms south of the Wall from the savages from the north. But the stories soon split, branches, tangles and interwines with the stories of others as different conspiracies battle one another and ravage the lands and the people of Westeros. But Winter is coming from the north, and rumours of firey dragons from beyond the sea are slowly coming to life. It will only be a matter of time until both of them reach the Seven Kingdoms and devours everything in sight!

The books released so far are the Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Steel and Snow and the most current one is Feast for Crows.

For those who have already read it, give all of your thoughts on it! Like, who are you favorite charcters? Who are your most hated ones? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? And other comments you are to make.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hrm, Steel and Snow? The third book I have is called a Storm of Swords.

Anyways as I stated in the book thread, this series is one of my favorites behind the Dark Tower series and the Shanara Series. At first I wasn't really to sure if I liked the way it was setup with each chapter from someone elses point of view, and even now I kinda hate how I start getting into someones point of view and all of a sudden it changes on me.

My three favorites characters are Daery, the queen across the sea, Ayra Stark, the wandering girl and Jon Snowe the brother of the Night's Watch.

With Daery, I started out not liking her at all because Visery's annoyed the hell out of me. But as soon as you got to the Khal Drogo part, and she started to become much more confident and then finally both of their deaths, and her becoming Queen, and then the trip to Quarth, I loved that part.

As for Ayra and Jon, they were both kinda outcasts in the Stark family, the only two looking like Eddard and what not. Maybe that's why I like them the best. Eddard is my favorite character out of the entire series. And I really really really hate Joffery for killing him.

Ayra's story didn't really get interesting until Syrio was introduced to it and she started to learn he waterdance. It just got better from then. Alot of action in her chapters which always keeps it interesting.

John on the other hand is interesting in a different way, he north at the wall and you know something is going on up there, you just know there is. So you want to keep reading and reading and reading to find out what's going on and who will come to their rescue when the Night's Watch gets overwhelmed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
Hrm, Steel and Snow? The third book I have is called a Storm of Swords.

Book three is called "A Storm of Swords" but Part I of book three is called "Steel and Snow." So you're both right. :)
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i knew that it was something like that. I was just too lazy to drive to the library to find out. :lol:

As for me, My favorite character is Beric Donddarion. He's the Lightning Lord, so how cool's that! And he seems to be a man a total integrity, like Ned. While i didn't pay much attention to him in the first book, he was so much more interesting in the third one.

Oberyn Martell, the Red Viper, was also pretty interesting. You don't really know what he's thinking, with that sharp, venomous tongue of his.

Sam's another one of my favorite characters. He's a guy who may be craven, but can still kick butt!

Jaime is a newfound favorite. His...taste in women, or a woman, is still pretty sick, but in the later half of Storm of Swords, he really turn out to be alright. And he was also in Feast for Crows.

Brynden Tully, the Blackfish, is another of my favorite. He was a cool uncle to Catelyn, and even more so in Feast for Crows. I can't help but picture him as somewhat like Sun Jian from DW, or ROTK.

Davos is a guy who seems a bit similar to Ned, but a bit smaller though, in terms of nobility. So he's one of my favorite.

And there's also Brienne. She may be a bit stiff, but she kicks butt. It won't be that much of a spoiler if i tell, but she has her own chapters in Feast for Crows.

But my hated characters are: Gregor Clegane, Theon, the Greyjoys, Cersei, Littlefinger, the Bloody Mummers/ Brave Companions and those Slavers in Mereen, Asthopos and other Slave cities.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Atavaka

Werewolf Brigade

Location: Fort Retto, which just got a Senseo Cappucino Maker ^_^
0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So man characters to like in this series, yet also so many designed to be hated.

Starslasher wrote:

But my hated characters are: Gregor Clegane, Theon, the Greyjoys, Cersei, Littlefinger, the Bloody Mummers/ Brave Companions and those Slavers in Mereen, Asthopos and other Slave cities.

You know, I couldn't bring myself to completely despise Cersei. I mean, I can sort of see where she's coming from. She wants to protect her children and she wants her house to rein supreme, like so many others in Westeros. Unfortunately, she's also insane and completely decadent, not to mention self-serving, but so are many of the other characters in the series.

Theon deserves no mercy and sympathy, however. I totally agree with his uncle: he's a whiny, self-serving brat. Too bad he's not stupid, or I could completely hate him. I can't help complimenting his schemes, vile as they may be.

I dont think this is considered a spoiler, but here's a warning for those who haven't read the begininng of A Feast for Crows. Anyways, I find myself liking Oberyn's illegitimate daughters, the "Sand Snakes." I'm not sure if they'll play the part of villain or not, but I still find myself drawn to their plight and personalities. But how could you not like Oberyn's offspring?

Milan Fiori wrote:

As for Ayra and Jon, they were both kinda outcasts in the Stark family, the only two looking like Eddard and what not. Maybe that's why I like them the best. Eddard is my favorite character out of the entire series. And I really really really hate Joffery for killing him.

I couldn't agree more about Arya and Jon. However, I'm kind of sick of Jon's chapters at the moment. They seem stale after the events in the north. I haven't read that far into the newest book, though, so things may change.

I actually find myself really intrigued by maester Aemon. *Spoiler Alert* To me, he's living proof that the Targaryens should return as the rulers of Westeros, and why Daenerys should be the eventual victor of this conflict. Obviously, many, if not most, of the Targaryens were great people. As long as they avoid inbreeding again, they would probably make the best rulers for Westeros. Anyone with the strength of character to stick to their vows while their family is slaughtered has higher moral fiber than anyone else I can imagine. And from what we're given about Daenerys, she seems to be at least as strong as Aemon. I really hope she wins, since the Starks seem to be out of the royal contention.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've only read the first book, I'm trying to find the second one, someone in my family probably owns it but I've gotta figure out who.

Anyway, if Daenerys wins I'll be really annoyed, for one thing she's as crazy as the Lady Lysa and for another she thinks that she should rule the Seven Kingdoms just because she was born.

I also don't like Joffrey for the same reason I don't like Robert Arryn, cause they have important jobs but no maturity for it and they just wanna kill everyone who looks at them. I don't mind Tyrion Lanncaster, he's probably the only Lanncaster I don't want to die.

I'm not sure what happens to Sansa in the other books but in the Game of Thrones she's just so naive, and the total opposite to Arya (who I like). Where as Arya sees everything, Sansa just sees what she wants to see but I got the impression that's going to change.

I also like Jon, Robb, Ser Barristan Selmy, Renly Baratheon (for when he laughs at Joffrey calling his sword Lion's Tooth) and Bronn (who I'm not really sure about cause I have no clue what he'll do next).
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hawkthanatos wrote:
Bronn (who I'm not really sure about cause I have no clue what he'll do next).

Hehe, yeah, he's kind of like the Saito Hajime in the book. But so is the Hound. You can't really tell what both of them are really thinking.

Avataka wrote:
I actually find myself really intrigued by maester Aemon. *Spoiler Alert* To me, he's living proof that the Targaryens should return as the rulers of Westeros, and why Daenerys should be the eventual victor of this conflict. Obviously, many, if not most, of the Targaryens were great people. As long as they avoid inbreeding again, they would probably make the best rulers for Westeros.

I was a bit intruiged in the first three books, but after reading the latest one, i am dying to know more about Rhaegar Targeryn. It is sounding more like he's the closest thing to being a perfect man in all of Westeros.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Forgive me, I love these books to death, but there's so many names, I probably have forgotten a few, so bear with me here. My favourite thing about R. R. Martin's books is that he's not afraid to kill characters. In a lot of stories, unrealistically, somehow, all of the main characters pull through. I realize that it's sometimes difficult to just let important characters die...but when you're trying to create a gritty, midieval setting...especially with the kind of mixture of resolve and hopelessness that Martin cultivates for the Night's Watch, people have to die. In war, people die, and that's the way it is. It's utterly refreshing, even if it can be a bit shocking sometimes to see how wantonly he kills his characters off.

Quote:
I was a bit intruiged in the first three books, but after reading the latest one, i am dying to know more about Rhaegar Targeryn. It is sounding more like he's the closest thing to being a perfect man in all of Westeros.

Yeah, Rhaegar is a really interesting character. All of the small gasps that we're given about him throughout the novels just make me want to read more. If nothing else, I would without question read a later R.R. Martin book about the war between the last Targeryns and the insurgents. I'd like to see how everything came to pass, and things played out on the Trident.

Actually, other than the Mad King, it seems to me that Avataka is right, and the Targeryns are probably the best leaders for Westeros. I think Daenerys would make a good Queen. She's got a lot more moral fiber than pretty much any of the other contenders, and considerably more force of will and personality than some of the others as well. I tend to think that she, at least, would take the serious threat coming to be north of the Wall seriously...and I actually find myself most interested in her struggle...and I sort of root for her the entire time.

I haven't been able to read Feast for Crows yet, as with all the mass confusion of the holidays I haven't yet laid hands on a copy. I'll be able to pick one up soon I hope...I imagine I'll pretty much power through it, if the previous books are any indication. I do, however, get tired of a few of the perspectives...I kind of wish that some of the characters who aren't dead would go ahead and die.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm calling it right now. Bran and Dany. King of the North meets the Queen across the Sea. Dragons and Direwolves. Fire and Ice. I would have thought John Snow but now that he's well what he is. I doubt he'll be Lord of Winterfell anytime soon.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Phamex

Raccoon Dogs

135274 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Parallax wrote:
Forgive me, I love these books to death, but there's so many names, I probably have forgotten a few, so bear with me here. My favourite thing about R. R. Martin's books is that he's not afraid to kill characters. In a lot of stories, unrealistically, somehow, all of the main characters pull through. I realize that it's sometimes difficult to just let important characters die...but when you're trying to create a gritty, midieval setting...especially with the kind of mixture of resolve and hopelessness that Martin cultivates for the Night's Watch, people have to die. In war, people die, and that's the way it is. It's utterly refreshing, even if it can be a bit shocking sometimes to see how wantonly he kills his characters off.

Exactly! I don't think it could have been said better.

As for characters, there are only two I really like at this point in time: Arya Stark, and Tyrion Lannister. (I've only read up to Feast For Crows, though I think the next book is out now) I mean, the others are great characters, but those two are my favorites.

Arya is so young, and yet so driven. She's keenly aware of her situations and surroundings and can easily piece together what she learns with what she knows to get a look at the bigger picture. And keeping her "prayer" in mind, no matter where her journey takes her, she takes it in stride as moving one step closer to her goal. As long as her enemies die, by her hand or another's, she doesn't care. That's an amazing amount of conviction for a twelve year old.

As for Tyrion, well, I love his sarcastic wit. I think he's one of the few people that is truly sincere in just about everything he does. Then again, he's one of the few characters who's inner dialogue we get to see. I admired his steadfast loyalty to his family, but I was pretty damn happy when he decided to start looking out for himself. Overall, he's my favorite Lannister, though Jaime is starting to show some redeeming qualities.

I would recommend the series to anyone, though I'm not sure it would be my first choice. Not because it isn't good enough, but because the refreshingly realistic nature of it would probably cause a reader to disdain all other fantasy series' where the author is afraid of hurting their characters let alone killing them. XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Unfortunately A Dance With Dragons isn't out yet. It was suppose to come out last Christmas but it didn't make it out. But like it was said thread about it's show announced for HBO, Martin seems to be more interested in selling the rights to his books rather than actually writing them, which is sad cause there's still three whole books left I want to read!

Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a BIG fan of the series and see alot of correlation in themes between Suikoden and Song of Ice and Fire. The variety of charaters, the political intregue, the situation of war 'etc 'etc 'etc..

As for Dance of Dragons, I think we should see it's release soon. I dont see the HBO series as something that will inhibit his production of books, if anything it will encourage. Best case scenario the series is famously successful and he's pushed to crank out the last 3 books in the next seven years (they're slated for one season per book), worst case is that it fails miserably and he has more than enough freetime to get back to writing.

I hate you Onimaru.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Martin will finish this series. He's already gone on record that he knows how it will end. It's coming up with the story to get to that end which takes time. Plus, Martin's books in this series has always been slow-going from manuscript to finished book. Martin has a tendency to keep going back to the beginning of the current book he is writing and changing things. Which in turn needs close to a complete overhaul of the succeeding chapters.

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Great to see so many fans of the series on the boards, you guys seem like you really know what you're talking about.

Any favorite "speculation" on what the upcoming Dance will contain? I've got a few gems I wouldn't mind sharing, and I dont know if any of you are familiar with any of the theories rolling around online, but there's a very neat "Jon Snowe is a Targaryn" theory going around that I've actually become rather partial too.

I hate you Onimaru.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've heard of the Targaryn being Jon Snow's true bloodline, but I think he's half-Stark and half-wildling. The one thing about Martin's series that keeps fan speculation from going too far out there is the fact that none of the characters --- major and minor --- are safe from being killed off. I wouldn't be surprised if Martin killed off Jon in the next book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: