Suikoden Unique and Irenic Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Grandia 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Grandia 3 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well having realized that this game was coming sooner or later, I figured I should create a discussion about this. For those that dont already know about this series, it was an rpg that was first made for the playstation, and achieved some level of fame. Not really on par with Final Fantasy persay, but it certainly had it's enjoyable portions, I just wish it was findable nowadays. However, as with all great rpgs of that time, it has since long faded from view from anyone but the ebay shoppers, and I wouldnt touch that with a ten foot pole to be completely honest. I just dont trust that whole thing anyway. That was followed by a second game which while it didnt have the same level of fan following as the first, did but it was highly regarded among critics. Not to mention fans werent exactly complaining about the game either. So to the surprise of absolutely no one, they decided to start making a third installment to the series, and thats now about 4 months away from release here in North America.

Personally I am excited because I havent had the oppertunity to own one of the games of the series up until this point. So with this appearing in the market early into the new year, not to mention according to Gamefaqs, on the same day as Suikoden 5, this would make March 1st an exciting day indeed. However, that is merely a tentative release date anyway, so we will have to wait and see on these two games, and of course Kingdom Hearts 2. That is also scheduled for release on that date. I dont have much in the way of screenshots, and the like and am far from an html expert. So if anyone can post anything about it, I would much appreciate it.

Arcarsenal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As long as they don't ruin this game like they ruined Grandia 2.

Ryudu had some of the best quotes ever ina video game and then they made him totally lame and pussywhipped in the second half of the game. The angsty, arrogant Ryudo kicked much more ass.
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The first Grandia kicked major ass. Too bad I don't have the game with me, right now, just to play it again.
For what I've seen (I didn't read much about the game) the graphics seem to be very good, but since I still consider that the lesser of the good things about a game... Hope the battle system is as good as it used to be.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I had Grandia 2 on the PC, shame the game decided not to work past the point you get Tio.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, Grandia was first made for the Sega Saturn. It was later ported to the Playstation. The Saturn version was never released in the United States as far as I know. It was extremely popular in Japan because of its awesome list of seiyuus and its creative, dynamic battle system and world map.

Consider this, Grandia's 3D overhead mode came about a year or two before Xenogears' did, and looked better than Xenogears did in 1997.

Grandia 3's release date is something like February, state-side. It was released in August in Japan if I recall correctly. I haven't heard of any reviews of the game, but they certainly must exist. If anyone wants to summarize I'd be willing to know.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No reviews as of yet. I would check in the Gamefaqs message boards, but those guys have an annoying habit of spoiling the game intentionally. So far the best is ign.com, but all they have are play test reviews. There are some screenshots, though.

http://ps2.ign.com/objects/738/738153.html

Regarding the series as a whole, I have both Grandia 1 for PS1 and Grandia 2 for PS2. The plot is the series' strong point with the music closely behind that. The art isn't bad either. I don't know if the director or composer has changed, but if it hasn't, that's what should be expected.

I still have a saved file from Grandia 1 which had Justin, Rapp, and Guido. The fight I wanted to play over and over was the battle with Nana, Saki, and Mio. 3-3, no rules. I purposely equip them with moderate weapons and armor to maintain a challenge. Seeing Justin get smacked with a Harisen is funny. He had it coming.

Don't get the PS2 version of Grandia 2 if you can help it. I think they just quickly ported the game over from Dreamcast for the heck of it. It's pretty slow on some parts, and it's worse when you're in a city where there's a lot of moving objects and people. It was a poorly done port. At the very least, I enjoyed the game so much, that didn't matter. I liked the Valmar story and all its pieces.

Too bad about Tio, Phil. You should really finish that game if you get a chance.

Seems like Grandia 3 is about flying to an extent. I hope this translates into a flyable world map. I miss "airships". The only other console RPG I've played this year has had a flyable world map/vehicle was . . .

*Spoiler for this game that was just released.*
Dragon Quest 8
*End spoiler*

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's impossible for me to with this PC version, basically they made a crappy release and then acknowledged it was an error but never created a patch. Great, oh well it only cost me £5 and this thread's about Grandia 3 anyway so I'll stop my off-topicness.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Equus

Sindarin Speed Bumps of Rage

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Saw some info on the pending release over on rpgfan for Grandia 3. Think the article said February, which is pretty vague and could very well mean March...heh. I'm really looking forward to it. It's gotten lukewarm reviews from what I've read, but I haven't really been looking that hard.

I'll still buy it though, since...well...it's Grandia. I played some of the PS version (can't remember why I stopped playing) and I think I still have the DC version floating around my house somewhere. Maybe I'll pull them out after my current obsession for Sakura Taisen subsides, since I have the DC our anyway.

I was warned off of the PS2 version of Grandia 2 from folks who also had the DC version, telling me that I might well stick with what I had since it looked better anyway. That was way too bad. :(
Chimei Star

Crescent Moon Gunners

112245 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's a co-ink-e-dink.. I just looked at GameSpot's page for Grandia 3 today. It's looking promising to me. Ced The Lad, I'm sure if you look at GameSpot's video section,

(very minor spoilers if you didn't want to know 0_o)
It looks like it shows flying on the world map
(/spoilers)
.. so it's probably what you hoped.

Btw, I liked Grandia 2.. Also, I need to find Grandia 1 somewhere, I got stuck on the first boss because I didn't take the time to level up as I do with games now. In retrospect I should've tried again instead of taking it back. It was years ago. Maybe I'll check amazon or ebay.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't have a Dreamcast. Is the PS2 version of Grandia II really that bad that I should be pulling out an old Windows CD to install on my ancient PC?

As for Grandia III, the composer is Iwadare, who composed for Grandia I and II. Same guy. There was a single released, called something like, "Let's fly into the Sky" by a Japanese--alternative-pop singer named Miz. You might be able to find it on torrent sites. I had a copy of it but my other computer isn't online, so no links for anyone, sorry.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not that bad. It's still a great game, and I liked it as an RPG, but you may find some of the slow-downs of the game a bit bothersome. It's not like it'll hurt your eyes or anything. If it's easier for you to play the PS2 version, then that's what you should get.

The visuals are just a bit blocky, though. Still, I never heard anyone complain too much about it.

Good news about the composer. He had some really nice and memorable tracks. Palm and a few of the other village themes fit the game. I liked his battle music, particularly the Valmar Battles and the battle theme with Nana, Saki, and Mio, most of all.

Yumi Regataar

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The first English Voice Acting clip was released on www.rpgamer.com a few days back. Even though I've listened to it, I'm not exactly sure where my opinion stands on the voice acting. The syncing to the mouth must've been pretty hard considering the crisp execution of the lips, however, they did it pretty well in other games which I'm not going to list at the moment so I hope they'll put some thought into the scripting.

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really enjoyed the story of Grandia II, but I think the character development was a bit sketchy. All the characters became to some extent what Ryudo become. It was getting quite sickly by the end. I liked the whole "Valmar/Granas war" that was going on and there were some nice twists.

Grandia Extreme was just, well, poor.

Grandia III I'm hoping will be a great continuation of the Grandia series but I wont be holding my breath.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Daycon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really liked 1 but the second game was the better of the two I think. But that doesn't seem to be the common opinion here..... oh well. I never picked up three but my friend has it so I can barrow it any time. However, I need to finish the games I've already started before I take one any others. Suikoden IV is on that list. :oops:

"Being eaten by an alligator isn't bad. It?s like going to sleep....in a giant blender."
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ced The Lad wrote:
Good news about the composer. He had some really nice and memorable tracks. Palm and a few of the other village themes fit the game. I liked his battle music, particularly the Valmar Battles and the battle theme with Nana, Saki, and Mio, most of all.

Iwadare is great. He's the same guy involved in the music of the LUNAR games and Radiata Stories. I really want to remix some work of his... if I ever get good enough. It'll take decades. :(
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: