Suikoden Urgent and Informational Karma Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? The Debate begins
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? The Debate begins Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow I really seem to have a knack for creating topics for debating amongst ourselves, or just adding to one in my own way. Anyways, so you might be wondering what this is all about since dont they usually go together anyway? Well usually they do, but it has become something more than that considering people are actually refusing to shop at stores unless they use Merry Christmas solely. Christian groups are boycotting certain stores like Walmart because their greeters, cashiers and the like choose to use the line "Happy Holidays" rather than the more traditional "Merry Christmas". They do have a fairly good point that this whole season is based around Christmas which is in fact a christian holiday. The stores also have a point that it's not the only holiday going on during that time, and so they can include everyone they say Happy Holidays. So the question now becomes do you think they are right to do so, complaining about the phrase these commercial institutions are using? Or are they just completely out of their minds, and need to get the idea through their heads that it's a multicultural society, and other religions should be included in greetings?

Personally as someone of the Christian faith I do believe that it should be considered the main greeting for the holidays. However I am also of the belief that stores should have the right to choose whatever line they want to for their greeters. Christian groups have the right to boycott whoever they want, and it the choice of these department stores, and the like to change to fit it, or to not change. That is within the rights of both groups, but is either side wrong for doing so? I think the Christian groups should mind their own buisiness, considering they have the right to say whatever they like when greeting their customers. If you dont like what they are saying just dont go to those stores, really thats all that should take place shouldnt it? In regards to the stores themselves, it's a little different because then it depends on the market they are in for individual stores. If they are in a location that has a heavy Christian base, then obviously from a financial standpoint, it wouldnt be a smart buisiness move to not appease them. Then in cases where the populace for that particular store is more diverse in their religious practices, it's really up to them which to take. They could even go with both, to appease both sides, but then again will either side truly be happy with that?

Anyways this isnt really to stir up arguments, but rather considering it's Holiday time, and I like making debate threads among other things it seemed to fit. In case there isnt a Christmas thread made later, I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, and a Happy Holidays. See how simply this could be sorted out? But of course thats not what we are debating are we?

Moonlight Butterfly

203221 Potch
200 Soldiers
122 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't see why this is a big deal, it's all meaningless crap. I don't care about either side of this argument as neither has a legitimate point.

Seriously, if this is at the top of the list of somebody's concerns they should really rethink their lives, and if somebody is actually offended by Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas they need to end themselves now.

Arcarsenal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Loran Cehack wrote:
I don't see why this is a big deal, it's all meaningless crap. I don't care about either side of this argument as neither has a legitimate point.

Seriously, if this is at the top of the list of somebody's concerns they should really rethink their lives, and if somebody is actually offended by Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas they need to end themselves now.

Exactly. It doesnt matter. I'm cathloci so obivously I celebrate Christmas but if I was Jewish or whatever why should it matter? Then say Happy Hanakuh(sp?)...

Like Loran said...if people are having fits over this they need bigger problems or something cuz this is just dumb.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Seriously who has the time to get pissed off at crap like this? Who cares whether they say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays they don't actually care they just want you to buy the worthless crap they're selling.
Ley

Username

441125 Potch
0 Soldiers
550446 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't se how Christians can just hijack a time of year and call it their own, when it's common knowledge that Christmas isn't even when Jesus Christ was born. The season was hijacked from the other religions.

Before Jesus was even born it was called many things. The feast of the Son of Isis was celebrated on December 25th in Ancient Babylon, the Romans celebrated Saturnalia during Winter, Pagans had Yule. Christmas is just a stolen holiday, so no-one has the right to force anyone to wish a "Merry Christmas".
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally, I think that the stores should wish people "Happy Holidays." That way, no one is offended unless they try to be offended, like the James Dobsons and Jerry Falwells of this world. This gives them an excuse to ram their brand of radical Christianity down everyone's throat. The best part? So many non-radical Christians will follow them, because these radicals cast themselves of defenders of Christianity. And for a lot of people, thinking stops when they hear the word "Christianity," or any variation thereof. And after thinking stops, they become mindless drones, willing to serve Dobson or Falwell or whoever.

And please don't take that as meaning all Christians are mindless drones. Just the follwers of Dobson and co.

The point of the argument is this.
When people say "Merry Christmas," people get mad at them being exclusive.

When it's "Happy Holidays," people will get mad at inclusivity.

Now, which side has a more valid argument?
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Camus the Noble wrote:
The point of the argument is this.
When people say "Merry Christmas," people get mad at them being exclusive.

When it's "Happy Holidays," people will get mad at inclusivity.

Now, which side has a more valid argument?

None, they're both idiots.

Seriously, I have to agree with everyone else in that this is a complete non-entity of a problem.

If people have enough time to be worrying about nonsense like this then maybe they should go and try and save the whales or feed the poor or bring world peace or something.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Viktor2008

Army of Hades

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well yeah I agree with yall to. It is just a waste of breath fighting about it. I just dont see the big deal about someone saying "Merry Christmas" and then someone making such a big thing about it. I think its just nonsense myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:

Seriously, I have to agree with everyone else in that this is a complete non-entity of a problem.

If people have enough time to be worrying about nonsense like this then maybe they should go and try and save the whales or feed the poor or bring world peace or something.

While I agree that the debate is somewhat useless, I just think that the Christian groups are in the wrong. Just because this isn't at all a problem doesn't mean I have to think that both parties are idiots.

I fully agree, however, that saving the whales, feeding the poor, and bringing world peace are all much better things to do than complaining about what greeting a store uses.
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've never actually met anyone who cared whether someone said Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays. I know several full-on Jewish people, and they honestly do not care when people wish them a Merry Christmas. It's not even a denominational holiday anymore, I think. I've only known a few people that have celebrated Kwanza, but none of them minded either. It's generally saying the same thing, though I can see how saying Merry (or in some cases Happy) Christmas would appear insensitive, no one really cares. I personally don't say either much, but when I do say one I try to say Happy Holidays, only because I guilt myself into thinking it is insensitive to say otherwise. But deep down, I know that no one cares.

The Golden Mercenaries

5685455 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yea i am also pretty indifferent on the matter. When i am going places i don't care if someone tells me Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, or anything at all for that matter. I am a big Cristmas person and i enjoy basically everything about the Holidays. I enjoy the christmas trees, putting up lights, cold weather, getting gifts, and listening to christmas music. Although i don't enjoy the traffic or the over crowed malls just to name a couple of things. What someone greets me with isn't going to change my opinion of my favorite holiday. Personally i too am a Catholic and i have my beliefs of how Chistmas should be treated and celebrated, but it stops right there. If someone asks my opinion on what i think i will tell them, but there is no need to campaign against different traditions. Everyone has their beliefs and it is very rare you will say something to change those beliefs.

I agree with the other posters here when i say that this is a pretty pointless debate. We could do this about a lot of things in everyday life, much less something as big as Christmas. If something as small as a greeting offends you then you don't have your priorities straight. Christmas should be a happy time. Yes it has become a commericial feeding frenzy, but it still should be a time of family gatherings and happiness.

So i say everyone goes out and buys their little gifts for whoever they want too and be grateful you can celebrate Christmas at all. :D

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If somebody snaps at you for telling him/her "Happy Holidays" rather than the more traditional "Merry Christmas" or the other way around, or anything like it for that matter... They don't deserve your attention in the first place, they are self centered jerks who deserve coal as a gift *laugh*

I really don't see a debate here, luckily, our forum members are pretty rational fellows who just don't take this matter too seriously.

Im pretty amazed by the fact that people are complaining about the phrase commercial institutions use, I can assure you that.
Loran Cehack

Moonlight Butterfly

203221 Potch
200 Soldiers
122 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you really want to mess with them say Merry Xmas. It pisses them both off.

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Camus the Noble wrote:
John Layfield wrote:

While I agree that the debate is somewhat useless, I just think that the Christian groups are in the wrong. Just because this isn't at all a problem doesn't mean I have to think that both parties are idiots.

I fully agree, however, that saving the whales, feeding the poor, and bringing world peace are all much better things to do than complaining about what greeting a store uses.

We're all wrong and we're all right because, truly, it does not matter. To say Merry Christmas is not such an evil thing is it? Just as saying Happy Holidays is equally pointless. Why don't we just all agree that this is pointless and there is no reason to argue about it. The question is whether someone would be offended if a christian said to them Merry Christmas and they themselves were not a Christian. That is pure ignorance. They are just saying that they hope you enjoy this season. They are not trying to force upon you their own belief system although Christians of late have been trying to tell us everything. I myself am a Christian but I see nothing wrong with any greeting because it is simply from one person to another saying that they hope you enjoy the holidays. There should be no offense in telling someone that you hope they have a wonderful time. Wishing someone such a thing is kind not selfish or any such thing you could say. I am not criticizing anyone but saying that everyone has a right to say what they want.

To sum it all up. It doesn't matter. They are just wishing you a good time in the holiday season.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hawkthanatos wrote:
Seriously who has the time to get pissed off at crap like this? Who cares whether they say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays they don't actually care they just want you to buy the worthless crap they're selling.

Who has the time? I fricking do. This issue enfuriates me to no end. Its not Wal-Mart I'm really mad at its the people trying to be "everyone friendly" so they don't recieve bad publicity by using a religion friendly phrase like Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah or Happy Kwanzaa. I grew up with Merry Christmas. Everyone said it, Jews, Blacks, whites, everyones. Even atheists celebrate the spirit of christmas. They may not reckognize the Jesus aspect but nobody can deny the spirit of being happy with those you love and sharing gifts to show your appreciation to them. Heck, the Jews love it so much they do it for 8 nights.

One think that really gets me is I've never had anyone honestly come out and say "Please don't say Merry Christmas to me, I'm a jew". I think that if anyone was so inconsiderate to human cheer that if they ever did say something like that to me I'd get upset. Christmas is no longer about a baby in a manger, its about spreading cheer to one another and becoming close with your fellow man, if only for a day. On no other day can you walk up to a complete stranger and greet them without fear of them stabbing you. The christmas spirit is ruined by the phrase Happy Holidays. I feel that the person is just lumping the year into one phrase. Happy Holidays? What, you forgot to wish me a Happy Halloween and 4th of July so you are tossing all the holidays into one statement? Could I not say Happy Holidays on February 2nd? Hey, its to cover Groundhogs day, Presidents Day and Valentines. This way if someone thinks Valentine's day is a crock I wont get backlash right?

I was watching Comedy Central and I saw Steven Colbert make an analysis on the word Holiday. Some people use Happy Holidays to not offend the various religions and the atheists but Holiday the word stems from an old english word meaning Holy Day. Hey Holy... isn't that a religious word? In your face Wal-Mart conglomerate morons.

If someone comes up to me this weekend and says Happy Hannukah I'll say thank you and return it to them. I am not a Jew but I reckognize that this person has taken the time out of their day to wish me happiness and in this day and age its something we seldom see. I am fortunate he didn't come over and mug me or tell me to fork off. The christmas season is something that we should all embellish and not turn it into another political debacle like our currency's In God We Trust issue.

So to everyone on this forum, Merry Christmas, if you don't celebrate it too bad but I hope you have a good day anyhow. Accept it and be thankful or don't accept it. Its not often people are nice to you, enjoy it.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: