Suikoden Urgent and Irenic Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Harmonia and Rome?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uwangski

Lilly's Loyal Guards

701224 Potch
200 Soldiers
32 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All I know is that the Holy Roman Empire, was actually founded by a German. He's Frederick Barbarossa, later known as Frederick I. He started conquering small countries near them and then eventually launched an attack against the City-States of Lombardy, and Genoa (both are parts of modern Italy). After conquering Rome, he installed a new pope, because the Roman Catholic Church did not support his rule. He later moved the capital there and then sent his knights to the crusade, including himself.

While on the desert, they saw an oasis. Being overwhelmed with joy, he forgot to remove his armor, jumped in the waters and drowned... stupid...

By the way, I noticed Muse is like Athens especially the city hall, and Greece as Jowston, since Greece was also a city-state country back then. I guess Sparta was Matilda...

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought the Holy Roman Empire is the same as Rome? yeah I thought of that too, that Muse looks alot like Greece.

Matilda doesnt looklike Sparta to me.

I think Highland looks more like Rome, then Harmonia does, think about it, even Highland's army lookslike how Roman soldiers used to wear, and the banners that they carry looklike Roman legions, even the military camp, looks like the ones Romans used, General Kiba's armor looks of that that a Roman General would wear, Klaus himself looked like a Roman servant, the only things that Highland may not have that Rome did, were a senate, slaves and polictial vastness, though I wouldnt doubt it if the Blight family or any other noble in Highland had slaves or so to meet their own means.

I always had the image in my head, that Falena is also much like the Roman empire.

Are you saying that the Roman Empire and the Holy Roman Empire are two different things? I was reading something on the Roman empire and it said that Roman was founded by the people of Troy, who fled from Troy, they are some statues in Rome that can be found of Paris aka Alexandros, I know that the Germanic tribes were the ones who brought the Rome Empire then, of course with help from the lower class Romans and others who were unhappy with their culture and society, so the Empire quickly began to lose integrity from in the inside as well.
uwangski

Lilly's Loyal Guards

701224 Potch
200 Soldiers
32 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Holy Roman Empire is the country's name, Rome is the capital. Think of Mexico and Mexico City...

With the analogy the Muse is to Athens, Matilda's military is more or less as powerful as Muse's, whereas Sparta, being a country of warriors, can also be as powerful as Athens

If I recall correctly, Roman Legionnaires wear bristled helmets (I dont know how they're called), Highland soldiers doesnt, but I agree Kiba and Klaus' uniforms are like Roman officers

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think, Otto I was the original founder of the Holy Roman Empire around 960, but the name was first given somewhat about 1150. And I am sure, that the HRE hadn't got a official capital, because the empire consisted of different nation and was never a whole state and it was autonomous from the original Roman empire.

The Fool
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...You all realize the Holy Roman Empire was a successor to part of the Roman Empire? They're not the same. *scratches head* The Roman Empire was gigantic and spanned most of Europe and even parts of Africa and the middle east at it's greatest height (under Trajan). The Holy Roman Empire was primarily a conglomeration of mostly central European lands.

Zahak, what you're thinking of is Ancient Rome. It's settings go back to...well, probably pre-history, but yes, the story you're thinking of is that of roman mythology. Once finally arriving in Italy, Aeneas gets welcomed by the Latin King, Latinus, and his and his exiled band of Trojans make their home there. Latinus gives his daughter, Lavinia, to Aeneas as a wife...some generations later, Aeneas's descendent, Rhea Sylvia, is raped by Mars, and she bares twins: Romulus and Remus. Skipping a lot of their story (their uncle, the ruler of Alba Salva, tries to kill them; they escape through divine intervention and get raised by a she-wolf, etc), Romulus eventually founds Rome, and becomes the first of the kings of Rome on April 21, 753 BC.

However, historical origin is likely a bit earlier than that - Rome was probably founded by Latins and Sabines around the 9th century BC. This in turn is replaced by the Roman Republic in around 509 BC, the Empire around 31 BC, and that splintered into quite a few pieces eventually - including the Holy Roman Empire. It completely fell in 1453 AD.

I think the thread creator was refering to the Roman Empire. 0.o;

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Zahak

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

If I recall correctly, Roman Legionnaires wear bristled helmets (I dont know how they're called), Highland soldiers doesnt, but I agree Kiba and Klaus' uniforms are like Roman officers

Yeah but if you look for the angle that it shows the Highland soldiers, they do look kind of similiar to the Roman soldiers, atleast I think so...

So the Ancient Rome empire and Holy Roman Empire are in no way related? Holy Roman Empire was in Germany right? the Roman empire even tried to go as far as China, didnt it?
uwangski

Lilly's Loyal Guards

701224 Potch
200 Soldiers
32 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So Queen Sophita is quite good in history... u'r my new idol now!

Eden, i think the capital is Rome because the pope is in Rome at that time. But since the first pope ignored them, maybe there was really no official capital

Zahak, I never heard of the Roman Empire reaching China, although there are some speculations that they did:

1. the Chinese learned palisade defense at that time, which was from the Romans
2. a shield formation (forgot what it was called), another Roman technique

But let me remind you these where not proven, from what I heard

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zahak, The Holy Empire consisted in the 18th century of Germany, Austria, Bohemia (now Czech Republic), Belgium, Liechtenstein, Slovenia, Luxembourg, and large parts of modern Poland and small parts of the Netherlands and Croatia. All of the Netherlands and Switzerland, and parts of modern France and Italy were also part of the HRE.

The Fool
rane

86165 Potch
50 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

maybe you can refer sparta to tinto because of the rocky mountain paths.

To feel used, to feel lust, to feel wanted for once
To know there's somebody else who's dying to feel anything
I'm Ready and willing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Linnaeus

Meow Mages

167580 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars wrote:
It seems Harmonian stuff with german names are limited to the HVG, while German names are given to other stuff, such as weapons of Zexen Knights. Barbarosa Rugner also has a number of German connotations, so it will be difficult to say that any single nation is "German-like" (although Zexen seems to be based on midieval Sachsen and their knights).

Though, Franz is a german name, and he was not a part of the HVG. Queen also mentioned that his name is Harmonian. Though, many of the names in Suikoden III are german. Hugo would be an example.

I always thought of Harmonia similar to France when Napoleon ruled it. Though, that's only for the conquering of territory aspect. There aren't too many other aspects of Harmonia that resemble France, aside from the classy culture and such. And I always thought Zexen was more Italian-themed.

Quote:

Actually, that technique was from the Spartans in Ancient Greece. The Chinese army may have gotten it from there, but no one truly knows. Chinese culture is similar to Ancient Greece in many other ways, too. The "Greek Key" pattern seen on ancient greek vases and plates is like a chinese pattern seen on their vases and plates. Also, some weapons were similar for the army.
Zahak

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I fought that strange that Siegfried Schauffen from Soul Calibur was from HRE, because he wears like very medievial(sp?) like armor and such?

Quote:

Zahak, I never heard of the Roman Empire reaching China, although there are some speculations that they did:

1. the Chinese learned palisade defense at that time, which was from the Romans

But let me remind you these where not proven, from what I heard

I know they didnt, I was just saying that they tried to, some of the way the Qin army uyse the shields in the movie "Hero" reminded me of the Romans.
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love helenistic cultures and I did a pretty extensive project on Rome last year. I'm no expert but I'd been too lazy to come in and look through here prior (I don't know why) but I might be able to share a few things that I've learned.

My friends and I joke like we're sophisticated sometimes and whenever anyone mentions the Holy Roman Empire we must mention that it is neither Roman nor an Empire. As Sophita said, it was very much the European lands. I believe it came to be when the Roman Empire split into two creating HRE and the Byzantine Empire (I think).

rane wrote:
maybe you can refer sparta to tinto because of the rocky mountain paths.

Actually, in Tinto we've been investigating all that we know about In-Game Tinto and I have come to the conclusion that it is very Italian. All the weapons of Lilly, Reed and Samus (we include him because he is a Tinto Citizen when we meet him, though not a native) are in Itallian.

Quote:
So the Ancient Rome empire and Holy Roman Empire are in no way related? Holy Roman Empire was in Germany right? the Roman empire even tried to go as far as China, didnt it?

Right, there is little real relation. HRE tried to pick up the pieces of the falling Roman Empire and did for a short time. They were so different though so it doesn't really matter.
China was very isolated during this period in history, politically. Persia was a larger problem for the Romans. I think that was the limit of the Roman expansion (Persia).

Quote:
Actually, that technique was from the Spartans in Ancient Greece. The Chinese army may have gotten it from there, but no one truly knows. Chinese culture is similar to Ancient Greece in many other ways, too. The "Greek Key" pattern seen on ancient greek vases and plates is like a chinese pattern seen on their vases and plates. Also, some weapons were similar for the army.

Do you mean Phalanx? It's definently a Greek idea but I think it was originiated first in Egpyt and Sumeria. It was later revised by the Greek City-states. The first phalanxes were with the large shields and throwing javelins and were replaced with the development of the hoplite shield by the city of Argos by the large shields with long poles to combat cavalry. The Spartans used the technique very well during the Pelopenissian Wars(Butchered spelling) so they are reputable for it, but it may have been Argo who used it the way we think of it. The Romans revived it with their armies as well as well it's strategies being reused with the applications of tanks in current day if I'm not mistaken.

Zahak wrote:
I fought that strange that Siegfried Schauffen from Soul Calibur was from HRE, because he wears like very medievial(sp?) like armor and such?

You're right but technically Casandra and Sophitia are from the Ottoman Empire (Athens). They did this because of the timeline. It aided in painting the picture of the environment they wanted to show the gamer.

Dzerassa wrote:
Though, Franz is a german name, and he was not a part of the HVG. Queen also mentioned that his name is Harmonian. Though, many of the names in Suikoden III are german. Hugo would be an example.

The European names are usually in Zexen (Borus, Percival, Leon, Roland, Chris, Louis, Salome, Thomas, Bart, Augustine, et cetera). I would concede that Hugo is a very unusually name for a Grasslander. They say in game, if I'm not mistaken, that Hugo is "Little Feather" in the native Karayan tongue. That's the only clue we get about the Karayan language, too, so it's hard to really say anything about.

Now, on subject: I think tht Harmonia is similar to Rome in a few ways but for some reason I associate it more with Russia. I know very little about Russia. I know it's north, cold(ice crystals = Crystal Palace), I know it has a history of tyrannical leaders, I know it has had social division and I have been given the impression that there was a time when they were cutting edge with technological breakthrough's and discovery (Space Race). There's much more about Russia that's not the same but they seem to fit in my mind, I don't know why.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rane

86165 Potch
50 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i see i related tinto to sparta also because of the nation's aggresiveness, sparta was more aggresive than athens and the rest, like tinto's vision of expanding and trying to get lands from the grasslands. :D

To feel used, to feel lust, to feel wanted for once
To know there's somebody else who's dying to feel anything
I'm Ready and willing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

i see i related tinto to sparta also because of the nation's aggresiveness, sparta was more aggresive than athens and the rest, like tinto's vision of expanding and trying to get lands from the Grassland.

I disagree, respectfully. I always saw their expansion less of an aggresion action, but more so out of necesity. They are a small nation, weak and unable to defend themselves if they saw any real threats coming. With the stronger nations all around creating strong borders and a military that has a reputation is very important to deter strong neighboring nations from invading and sweeping out Tinto.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All around them? They only bordered Dunan, the Badlands and the Grasslands and later Zexen as a result of their territorial expansion over the previous 18 years.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: