Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Kriegspiel Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Harmonia and Rome?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OoOoH!_cookiemonster

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Harmonia and Rome? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I get this idea that Harmonia is more similiar to ancient rome, then to to Russia. I don't know how to explain it, just that the description of Harmonia sounds like ancient Rome. Like Hikusaak*(however you spell it) he could might as well be the pope,and the emporer at the same time. The priests sounds like the senate. Then you have the conquoring on other nations. Like Rome they took slaves. Except for gladiators, and stuff, it sounds pretty similiar. I could be wrong, i don't know. I just think it sounds pretty similiar.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't see the point of this thread, really...
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, I don't see the point of this topic, as well, but I will give a response to aid the poster. Harmonia most definitely seems to be similar to the European nations at their prime. You have the theocracy and the huge miltary power, definitely reminds me of them during the Middle Ages when the nations were lead by the Church and the popes and bishops contained all of the power within the nations. You also have the multiple factions that build up the nation and make it the superpower of the Suikoden World.

To me, it is quite clear that Falena is supposed to be likened to the Ancient Roman empire. You have slavery, the arid environments, and gladiator arenas. It seems so obvious plus you add the fact that it is a water continent similar to Venice and places liek Italy which is the capital of Rome. So, I think it is a dead give away that Falena is supposed to be similar to Rome.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
ard

Einherjar

804051 Potch
178 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the poster of this thread tries to say that he thinks Harmonia looks more like the Roman civilisation ruled by Julius Ceasar (for example) than Mother Russia.
So this would be the 'what real nation does Harmonia look like the most' topic.
I could be terribly wrong though.

In addition to what Urn said, Harmonia does not have wodka. But Falena is more similar than Harmonia indeed.
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All of these points are valid, but I always associated Harmonia with Germany since several names originating from Harmonia are German. Like Sturn, Mond, and Grosser Fluss (at least, I was told they are German names). But that may just be a Howling Voice Guild thing.

^Actual quote!
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Murayama said Harmonia is like Russia only in terms of size, so his comment wouldn't be applied to the culture.

It seems Harmonian stuff with german names are limited to the HVG, while German names are given to other stuff, such as weapons of Zexen Knights. Barbarosa Rugner also has a number of German connotations, so it will be difficult to say that any single nation is "German-like" (although Zexen seems to be based on midieval Sachsen and their knights).

Slavery existed in many different nations in history though, so slavery doesn't automatically equal "Romans." They are likely based on a number of different cultures, which is often the case with Suikoden.
OoOoH!_cookiemonster

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ard/psiko wrote:
I think the poster of this thread tries to say that he thinks Harmonia looks more like the Roman civilisation ruled by Julius Ceasar (for example) than Mother Russia.
So this would be the 'what real nation does Harmonia look like the most' topic.
I could be terribly wrong though.

In addition to what Urn said, Harmonia does not have wodka. But Falena is more similar than Harmonia indeed.

Yeah, summin like that. Sorry if i confused you guys a bit, i'm not really good with getting to the point. :lol: I was trying to compare Harmonia to Rome, because it seems somewhat similiar.
Maximillian

Dead Soggy Old Dudes

137813 Potch
13000 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, there's similarieties: the caste system, slaves, a regimented military, a dictator, and political intrigue.

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not that it adds much to the topic but Harmonia shares it's name with a Greek goddess.

Quote:

Harmonia

by Micha F. Lindemans

In Greek mythology, Harmonia is the goddess of harmony and concord. She is the daughter of Ares and Aphrodite (other sources say Zeus and Electra). She was married to the Theban ruler Cadmus, and as such was beloved by the Thebans. Upon her wedding she received a necklace and a garment, which proved fatal to who wished to possess them. Harmonia is the mother of Ino and Semele.

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/h/harmonia.html

Also we can't really say what Harmonia will be like. The most we can go on by terms of land and stuff is that it is like Russia in its size. We can find similarties but they will just be just coincidence at this point.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

we had a thread like this before, didn't I start it?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm Harmonia reminds me of the roman empire too but i wouldn't try to say that this suiko nation is this real-life natio and this one is germany and so on..
about gladiator-figts.. we didn't hear that in harmonia are arenas but we didn't hear that there are no arenas until now.. a nation that uses slaves would probably offer something like that for public amusement..
The probably would grant the winners a higher citizenship..if they do that

konami made up nations with influences of many real-life nations..

zexen is definatly a medieval sachsen rip-off hehe... i come from germany and im excited about all the german names that appeared in the suiko world..

the name zexen itself remninds of sachsen..and if you pronounce it right you will see(hear) that it sounds absolut identical
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Really? I would have said China because there both Harmonia have be around longer than my best friend G-wiz (or the big C) and both China and Harmonia are slowly taking over the world. Not, so much with the priest and the churches.....

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My biggest problem with the Roman Empire comaprison is that while the Romans made it fairly easy to become a citizen of the Empire, even if you lived in a conquered nation, Harmonia turns conquered nations essentially into slaves.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Georg_Prime wrote:
Really? I would have said China because there both Harmonia have be around longer than my best friend G-wiz (or the big C) and both China and Harmonia are slowly taking over the world. Not, so much with the priest and the churches.....

It seems to me as though Harmonia isn't slowly taking over the world-- but really slowly losing control over it. At one point they had control over nearly the entire continent, yet ever since SME broke away from them they've slowly lost control over the rest of the world

Quote:
My biggest problem with the Roman Empire comaprison is that while the Romans made it fairly easy to become a citizen of the Empire, even if you lived in a conquered nation, Harmonia turns conquered nations essentially into slaves.

As for this-- I'm not extremely well versed in Roman history, but I was under the opinion that most conquered peoples did become slaves in Rome. In fact they conquered so many people, and so many of them became slaves that there were some 6 slaves to every one Roman (or some insane number like that).

Anyway-- the point I'm trying to get across is that that's really a similarity between the two. (anyone who knows more about Roman history, feel free to correct me there ^^)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

As for this-- I'm not extremely well versed in Roman history, but I was under the opinion that most conquered peoples did become slaves in Rome. In fact they conquered so many people, and so many of them became slaves that there were some 6 slaves to every one Roman (or some insane number like that).

On the contrary, Rome gave a substantial amount of freedom to conquered countries--they of course were bound by the overall laws of the Roman Empire, however they were given a certain amount of independence. Romans were ingenious in that they realized that happy people were more likely to fight for Rome instead of resisting--that's why the Empire got so big and were such an unstoppable military force. While its true that there were a great number of slaves, for their era the Romans were very progressive.

I should note though that I gathered this information about the early and middle stages of the Roman empire--I have no idea how things were during the later stages during Rome's decline and eventual fall in this regard.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: