Suikoden Utopian and Informational Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Nintendo Revolution: What's up with that controller?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like how all these people were like,"Games are so boring now! It's not exciting!" and when Nintendo introduces a new way to play games they're like,"Lame!" without even trying it, despite developers and people in the industry saying it works much better than it looks. What happen to the people interested in innovation because gaming got so boring?
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think someone did a topic about Nintendo Revolution and I mentioned my thoughts on the controller in that thread. Since I am too lazy to actually go and find it, I'll just restate my ideas.

When I saw that the new Nintendo controller looked like a television remote, frankly I was thrilled. As much as we like them, the controllers for current systems are big, clunky, and unfortunately attached to wires (X360 hasn't been out for a week, we aren't in the next-generation yet). The Revolution controller is nice and flat, and might even have a cool chrager that it just sits in. Problem eliminated: Wires all over the bloody place (but the other ones also have wireless), controllers easy to store, small.

Next, I really liked the whole 'arm movement' factor and how Nintendo plans to bring this into their games. I'm guessing that this will bring the most criticism at first, because it might be a little difficult to go from using your fingers to using your arm to control movement. I mentioned in my other post how alot of arm movement, sustained for a few hours, is all the exercise that you really need during the day. Problem eliminated: Gamers not as fat.

Do we really need to use both of our hands to enjoy our games? I mean, I'm a guy, and when I'm playing a game, sometimes I get a little hungry, but actually won't eat because I don't want to get the controller greasy. With one hand controlling which direction Link moves in and one hand only, I can use my other hand to eat some chips or grab my drink. You have to love that. Problem eliminated: Greasy Controllers.

And lastly, I love the whole simplicity of the whole thing. That's why I dislike the XBOX controller personally. Two triggers, a completely out of place D-Pad and analog sticks that are in the wrong place just don't do it for me. All you really need are a start button (I don't even know why 'select' is on there), A, B, a D-Pad and a trigger, all of them are there. I guess that the Home button is for the web or whatever online strategy they have with it. The controller is simple, and there will no longer be confusion about which button to press. Problem eliminated: Pressing the wrong button at the wrong time.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's just...weird to me...
at least they're including the traditional 2-hand style controller with the Revolution(sold seperatly or not...I forgot what the exact words spoken in the press conference clip was)

Actually I have the similar feelings with the Nintendo DS...
"Dual Screens? There's only so much you can do with it...plus it's a bit tedious to keep your eyes on two screens instead of just one, no? it'll die off soon"
that was my opinion when the DS came out but apparently it's still good and alive in the market :roll:

We'll just have to see how big of a hit the Revolution's remote controller is going to be..and how long it'll last

I'll be getting the Revolution either way, mind you 8-)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Nintendo DS is rocking the handheld world. The PSP so far is far behind. Except in Japan, where everyone tends to play the PSP in public or something like that. I'm telling you - Japan is 99% Sony, and so you all, who like Japanese games, are going to lean for that Sony console because that's where the Japanese developers are.

And the XBox's D-pad and analog sticks are in the WRONG PLACE? That's odd. For me, it's always been the PS2 that has had its D-pad and analog sticks in the wrong place. Every single game uses the analog stick (few use the D-pad anymore) and yet you need to crunch your hands into some odd position to use the stick instead of the pad. Despite this amazingly common complaints that PS2 gamers have, they're not changing the D-pad position for the PS3. :(

Back to Nintendo... I don't even think a lot of games will require arm motions to play. If you watch some of the Nintendo "demo" videos, you'll see that Mario jumps with only the flick of the wrist. It doesn't require massive amounts of effort to point the controller at the screen and to press a button. You'll only want to swing your arms if the controller's trying to replicate a sports game of some sort.
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As long as it has a normal controller dock, then I'd be happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: