Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Kraalesque Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Getting Karl

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrantblade

The White Phoenix

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Getting Karl Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well that was 30 minutes and one S rank wasted.

I just did the quest to recruit Karl, making sure to limit damage and use tiles to the best of my abilities. It took some planning, but I came out of the battle with nary a scratch hence an S rank, getting Karl along the way. I then returned to Middleport to claim my reward.

Then for some reason I decided to go upgrade my armour at the Small Border Village, but made a slight error when purchasing Mother Earth Armour instead of Gold Mail. No worries, I'll just hold select and start and.....

....I did save after getting Karl right?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Holy Paladin

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've done the same thing also in too many games. It's so frustrating to have all that hard work go down the drain.
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always save after doing something big. But what was wrong with buying Mother Earth Armour instead of Gold Mail? Couldn't you have just gone and gotten some more Potch?

The White Phoenix

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Mother Earth Armour is weaker than the Gold Mail, which I didn't know when I was buying it, since it's more expensive.

I reset because I assumed that I'd saved it just before buying the new items, as I always do. Which I hadn't. Dang.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mother Earth Armour is very sueful though, because it can change your character's affinity. It depends on how you use it.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yes, just because an item is more expensive, it doesn't mean it's necessarily better-it's a hit and miss thing here, unless you have a guide to clear that up, or find the info on faqs. i usually buy affinity changing items for that purpose only, not necessarily because it's better than some other armor.

i'm glad for that early bit; i won't be purchasing moe armor now...

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Tyrantblade

The White Phoenix

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, it's all good now. I repeated the mission, and got another S rank, so I didn't lose anything.

As a bonus, Karl is now a useful member of my fighting force. His Cross Counter skill, coupled with other physical skills makes him mind frazzlingly useful. Send him into a group of enemies while on a positive element, and he can mince them all by himself. He pushed Trishtan out of my force in doing so.

Poor Trishtan.
Excalibur1027

The Dark Ones Own Luck

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
15000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

On the subject of recruiting Karl, did anyone else have a heck of a time trying to save that stupid little girl? I had to reset three times because she would always just stand there and let the archer furthest to the left kill her before I could do anything about it. Somehow, I was finally able to have Andarc blast him before he killed her again. I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem with that battle.

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

On a similar topic, how many bandits make a living robbing schoolchildren of thier money?! I never understood that battle. Plus, I let Karl die in that battle. If he gets defeated you cannot recruit him afterwards because h permanently dies, even though he isn't in your force yet. But the mission can still be completed. Go me!

^Actual quote!
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never understood that battle either. Why do 12 bandits (or however many there were) band together in order to kill children? For me the first time I did the battle one of the kids decided to only take a few steps so the archer just went and killed him. I completed the battle, decided that one kid didn't really matter, hell I saved most of them didn't I? They just don't count the quest as completed.

The quest only asks you to find out what happened, nothing in there about saving them and I could tell 'em exactly what happened. Two kids were scarred for life and one got an arrow through him. Bloody quest.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought the quest was easy. I just put people in my group who were a) really fast (Mizuki, Wendel, Kika, etc) and b) could ride kangacorns. A nice little trick I like to do to save me some time is start the battle with Cedric. Have him run as far as he can towards Karl (which, believe me, is quite far), then when you get him there sub him out for Lazlo. Shouldn't have any problems then.

Oh, and this may seem obvious, but I almost missed it when I completed the quest: make sure you talk to Karl with Kyril to recruit him! It isn't automatic, like I thought it would be. Luckily, I was able to talk to him right before he finished off the last bandit. And no children were harmed in the completion of this quest.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Obel Soldier

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One thing I did was keep a few guys behind to babysit the kids, so when the new bandits spawned, they were ready for some opposition.

And the kids weren't dumb at all in this quest; they all ran away from the bandits. I was probably lucky, though.

^ Shout out to John Layfield. Thanks for the sig, homes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: