Suikoden United and Irenic Kibbutz Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Zexen Federation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maiazuru

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: The Zexen Federation Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm wondering what kind of country Zexen is. How big and how populous do you think it is? Is it a small country? Is the army-civilian proportion so that the army is rather large?

What do you think about that country?
zeal

The Zealots

0 Potch
400 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the zexen federation is just like america i think. it has a large army equal to the civilian population. All the zexens think about is money!!!! cause the government is run by the guilds then they can jack up the prices whenever they want. it's more a capitalist country but with all monopolies. this is what marx said would happen! zexen is the perfect example of what can go wrong in capitalism.

it is a rather small country, smaller than the Grasslands. mind you that the federation had just recently won their independence from Harmonia.

it is populous compared to the Grasslands. Brass caslte doesn't have to many people there in peace times. but considering we only know a small amount of the towns. but still my guess is it is a small country with a large population.

here is straight from the SARSsite:
Also known as the Zexen Confederacy, the Zexen Federation is a group of states ruled by a council. Merchants have great power within the federation, which fosters trade within the nation and encourages trade with foreign countries. Zexen also has a powerful military, with the "mighty six knights" at the helm, fighting against the "barbarians" of the Grasslands.

well there is some insight

Check out:
Car Accidents
I'm A Plus Size Model
Superslut
Rene Magritte/Surrealism
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man, where the hell do you get all the wrong info from?

zeal wrote:
[color=red] the zexen federation is just like america i think. it has a large army equal to the civilian population.

I think that's a bit far-fetched. Anyhow, now source says that, is it just your assumption?

Quote:

it is a rather small country, smaller than the Grasslands. mind you that the federation had just recently won their independence from Harmonia.

Zexen was never under Harmonian rule. They simply formed 50 years before the time of Suikoden 3.

Quote:

it is populous compared to the Grasslands. Brass caslte doesn't have to many people there in peace times. but considering we only know a small amount of the towns. but still my guess is it is a small country with a large population.

Where do you get this data?
Cirape

0 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

zeal wrote:
up the prices whenever they want. it's more a capitalist country but with all monopolies. this is what marx said would happen! zexen is the perfect example of what can go wrong in capitalism.

I'm not really sure where you get the information that Zexen is all monopolies. Sure, its esentally run by merchants, but there are still many different companies or merchants competing against each other.

Quote:

As SARSadmin said: no.
To narrow it down, because I feel like being nit-picky, Zexen formed from a part of the Grasslands (thus they were assumidly a "clan" of their own for awhile). Its stated that Harmonia still thinks of them as part of the Grasslands.

Quote:
it is populous compared to the Grasslands.

I don't remember this being stated. Perhaps there are more people in the same sized area as there would be in the Grasslands, but I belive the Grasslands are bigger than Zexen (or am I imagining things again?).
Unless stated in some publications I can't read, we're never given a solid population figure for either Zexen or the Grasslands. We can only guess based on what we see of the towns/cities in the game. Speculation for Zexen's (and other places in the Suikoden world) population can be found in the thread "City population in Suikoden 3."
I think there's been some good estimating done there, but I'm not gonna even attempt to summarize it.
Gustav Pendragon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Zexens seem to be very economically driven in their society. All trade is regulated by the council, which is controlled by the merchants guild. It does seem somewhat similar to the nature of the US during the gilded age. I don't think that his statement is terribly off about it being similar to the US in some respect, namely the importance of economics in politics, new but strong military, and the rapid growth of the nation due to the economic prosperity.
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No comments :wink: , I think that there is no need to say more than was said (well I don't need to say anything else (I think) or do I).

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just thinking about the history of Zexen is pretty cool to me. I'd like to know who they were when they were their own "clan", and how they ended up branching off. I would think that their expansionism might be the result of foreign influence. After all, they're the only clan that becomes "civilized", why not the others? They seemed to have a good relationship (or at least a relatively quiet one) until their first border dispute broke out. Why, then, did they change?

Perhaps they aren't native Grasslanders, but colonists from another country? I know that's pure speculation with no proof, but they're such a completely different culture that started in such a short time.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Maiazuru

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmm, this is just speculation, but perhaps this theory can help.

The Zexens probably began as a clan, true. Hundreds of years back, they were probably little different from other clans. The only difference was that they might have been somewhat more mercantile. Given that each of the main clans were different, its not impossible.

However, the east wasn't peaceful. Harmonia lost territories, and many wars were fought. Over time, people from the east drifted into the Grasslands. Eventually, they found the Zexen Clan, who were more kindred spirits than any of the others.

These new settlers brought with them much of the culture of the east, which the Zexen Clan adopted over the generations. Zexen Village, the center of the Zexen Clan's lands, grew into a very eastern city, and was renamed Vinay del Zexay.

Eventually, as more generations passed, their affiliation with the Grasslands became more and more forced, as their ways of life were so different. Eventually, the Zexen Council decided to break away, declaring their independance and backing it with as strong an army as they could make it.

Why didn't the Grasslanders do anything? Well, they were largerly at war with Harmonia by then. By the time the war ended in 425, the people of the Grasslands were largely crippled. It probably took at least 10, if not 15 years to truly rebuild. By then, the Zexen Federation had fully secured its borders.

What do you think? :D
Gustav Pendragon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

makes sense to me. Perhaps they could have been an offshoot of Chisa and Safir. Also, contact with seafarring people's may have contributed to their change in culture and evetual break from grassland.
zeal

The Zealots

0 Potch
400 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

sorry!! i don't know my friend wanted to type on my name....sorry about that! i was over at his house and i let him on my name and i took a shower and i guess he wrote on my name......sorry! i feel like an idiot now

Check out:
Car Accidents
I'm A Plus Size Model
Superslut
Rene Magritte/Surrealism
Gwendal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm..interesting theory. I must admit I`ve never thought much about the origin of Zexen...

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally, I'd think that the Zexen Federation is roughly equal to the Tinto Republic in population.

I think that the Six Clans have the same population as the Federation between themselves, probably a bit more, but that their dispersed villages works against them.

I've worked out populations in this way, thanks to the numbers given in threads, pages and logical thinking:

Zexen Federation: 180,000
Six Clans: 200,000
Tinto Republic: 180,000
Toran Republic: 900,000
Dunan Republic: 1,400,000
Dragon Knightdom: 50,000
Harmonia: Who knows? More than Dunan...

Anyone not happy with these numbers and with their own suppositions will be happily listened to! :D
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maiazuru wrote:
Hmmm, this is just speculation, but perhaps this theory can help.

The Zexens probably began as a clan, true. Hundreds of years back, they were probably little different from other clans. The only difference was that they might have been somewhat more mercantile. Given that each of the main clans were different, its not impossible.

However, the east wasn't peaceful. Harmonia lost territories, and many wars were fought. Over time, people from the east drifted into the Grasslands. Eventually, they found the Zexen Clan, who were more kindred spirits than any of the others.

These new settlers brought with them much of the culture of the east, which the Zexen Clan adopted over the generations. Zexen Village, the center of the Zexen Clan's lands, grew into a very eastern city, and was renamed Vinay del Zexay.

Eventually, as more generations passed, their affiliation with the Grasslands became more and more forced, as their ways of life were so different. Eventually, the Zexen Council decided to break away, declaring their independance and backing it with as strong an army as they could make it.

Why didn't the Grasslanders do anything? Well, they were largerly at war with Harmonia by then. By the time the war ended in 425, the people of the Grasslands were largely crippled. It probably took at least 10, if not 15 years to truly rebuild. By then, the Zexen Federation had fully secured its borders.

What do you think? :D

Hmmm, very good theory there. Taking it one step further...perhaps the main reason that Zexen left the grasslands is because they weren't really grasslanders anymore? After all, those waves of refugees would probably meld with (and if in great numbers, completely change) the native population, so much so that Zexen couldn't be considered to be anything close to a Grasslander tribe.

Perhaps the timing is a bit off, but I remember someone in Vinay del Zexay talking about the deer antler trade creating the city. If I'm not wrong (as I probably am), then there would have had to have been some sort of mercantile culture there before the fact. If such is true, they would've had to have had connections with foreign communities (most likely Harmonia) and an existing infrastructure (those goods have to be transported a LONG way).

Then again, whatever is in the West of Zexen might have had an effect...
But who knows.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Maiazuru

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They say that the Zexen federation has a strong army. Do they mean quality, quantity or both.

If I remember, the Kingdom of Highland had a 20,000+ army (I may be wrong, I just seem to remember that number). How big do you think Zexen is comparatively?
Seiferalmasy1930

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The national mission of the Zexen federation is to merely become the sole trading power of the continent through monopoly of trade .

So it is not surprising to see them accumulating a huge mass of soldiers for defence . And that the fact they have alot of money means that their military would be of the highest standards that they could afford .

There is a chance for a national imbalance of militaristic and commerce in the country . As politics might disrupt the order of traders wielding the political power of the country .

Visit Kika or get your Kika goodies at :

http://www.geocities.com/seiferia/kikaindex.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: