Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Kibbutz Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Flashbacks in the beginning of Suikoden II
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pierrot Le Fou

Rain Dogs

37957 Potch
0 Soldiers
196054 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Flashbacks in the beginning of Suikoden II Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

After Riou and Jowy jump of Tenzan Pass into the creek, there is a flashback while some credits are rolling over a brownish-tinted-old-timey screen. Then there two more that explain the childhood friendships Jowy, Nanami, and Riou.

I know most of you know the scenes but in case you forgot thats basically how they go.

I was just wondering what everyone thought of these scenes, personally I didn't think they weren't executed too well and they just seemed a little cheesey. I dont know, maybe its just me but I couldn't take them serious and I think I even laughed at them the first time I saw them. I know the Suikoden team was simply trying to make you understand how these kids have bonded over the years and thats fine.

The main element that was executed badly were the artsy writings that were supposed to capture the relationship. You know what I'm talking about, "I always felt safe with you....." and "We took the same path...."
except they were waaaaaay more dramatic than that.

These flashbacks really had no use for them I thought, they woulda been better without them. What do all of you think?

And sorry for ranting..thats just the one thing that bugged me about Suikoden II.

Last edited by Pierrot Le Fou on Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wish that you could have skipped them, for the benefit of later playthroughs. But that's me. On a more serious note, one thing was that one of the flashbacks was primarily an engine for them to display game credits, and so it had a bit more validity. However, the flashbacks when you go to acquire the Bright Shield and Black Sword Runes are a bit lengthy, a bit unskippable, and a bit overdramatic. Still, I refuse to complain about any characterization, because characterization is a good thing.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
GrimmHooke

Mongoose Monarchs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't skip them even if I could- my favorite piece in the entire Suikoden series is played during that sequence. :3

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Also, seeing it with colors enriches the overall expirience of the story. Although you still have to do thee 108 fights before that, which is REALLY annoying.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Lord Rengo

The Magus' Army

33445 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, they can be a little cheesy, but the music is great. However, they do show how close Jowy and the Hero were in their childhood. I really don't mind it mainly because it's good music. :)
Chimei Star

Crescent Moon Gunners

112245 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fundertaker wrote:
Also, seeing it with colors enriches the overall expirience of the story. Although you still have to do thee 108 fights before that, which is REALLY annoying.
Yeah, I'd always fall short by choosing the wrong answer to one of the prompts, while in a dull haze.
Pierrot Le Fou

Rain Dogs

37957 Potch
0 Soldiers
196054 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

108 fights? hmm, I never knew about that. Anyway I didn't think I was the only one who had a problem with these scenes.

I really liked the one where Nanami scares those kids away from teasing Jowy and Riou, it showed she was always an overprotective tomboy.

Also, did anyone else burst out laughing when that poodle ran across the screen? I thought that was just hilarious.
Mad Mage

0 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought it was more funny when Nanami showed up to chase away the bully kids.

At any rate, that scene is very necissiary because it really helps establish how Riou and Jowy are really close friends. While this is suppoerted later in the game, it's never as clear as in that scene. Espeacially since you Riou doesn't say anything, which makes it hard to know what he's feeling (instead, you feel what you're feeling, which could be contempt for Jowy).

The main theme of the game imo is about the friendship between Riou and Jowy (the game beggins and ends on this subject). There are so many scenes later on that depend on them being best freinds yet torn apart because of the rune and the war. So yeah, it's a very important scene, and I really like it.
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And I know for a fact that I'm not the only one that thought Riou and Jowy were "more than friends" because of the flashbacks at the Toto Village shrine. Their flashbacks felt less like friends remembering thier past than it did lovers remembering the time before they fell in love. The words popping up on screen didn't help either. They sounded like something straight out of the beginning of a smut romance novel.

And it also doesn't help that I'm a total yaoi fiend!

As for fighting 108 battles, I feel your pain. Right after you see Luca Blight at the Unicorn Brigade massacre, Rowd will send soldiers to you. Stand your ground 108 times and fight 108 groups of soldiers, then the following flashback after jumping into the river will be in color. This doesn't reveal anything new, it's just in color. The real advantages are the satisfaction of knowing that you're doing something most people aren't aware of, and that you're going to be at like level 9 and with a lot of potch when you're done.

^Actual quote!
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blue Thunder wrote:
And I know for a fact that I'm not the only one that thought Riou and Jowy were "more than friends" because of the flashbacks at the Toto Village shrine. Their flashbacks felt less like friends remembering thier past than it did lovers remembering the time before they fell in love. The words popping up on screen didn't help either. They sounded like something straight out of the beginning of a smut romance novel.

And it also doesn't help that I'm a total yaoi fiend!

I felt that as well, but we have to keep in mind that we're westernized as well. We have different customs on what "lovers" are. Here we're so used to people being afriad to even kiss someone without it meaning anything. In other countries, you can kiss someone, and it doesn't necessarily mean it's romantic. In Japan, and anyone who lives in Japan can correct me on this, there is a closness Japanese people have for each other, and they can hug and hold hands, and not have it mean anything. I know a lot of Chinese girls holding hands with each other, arm to arm, and giggling. Yet they're both just friends. So what may look romantic to us, maybe normal to them. Just a thought though.

As for the scenary, I never did the colour version, but I don't think I would care for it. The scenes are indeed necessary to show how close Jowy and Riou are. The reason why they feel safe when the other is around is probably similar to a feeling brothers have. For example, a little brother who runs to the bigger one, hoping he can take care of whatever problem he has. They were never lonely since they knew and understood each other pretty well. I'm assuming the path is referring to their goals, whether it's to be strong or to protect something.

ASHRAF

6500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i tried a lot of times to fight those 108 fights to get a colored intro but i am bored at the 10th fight so i quit and continue the game and also i have to go fast in the game to achieve clive story .
the last time i played the game i finished it under 17 hours
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Stupid question. What is this 108 fights deal?

Chimei Star

Crescent Moon Gunners

112245 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Parallax wrote:
Stupid question. What is this 108 fights deal?

Weeeell..

Blue Thunder wrote:
Right after you see Luca Blight at the Unicorn Brigade massacre, Rowd will send soldiers to you. Stand your ground 108 times and fight 108 groups of soldiers, then the following flashback after jumping into the river will be in color. This doesn't reveal anything new, it's just in color. The real advantages are the satisfaction of knowing that you're doing something most people aren't aware of, and that you're going to be at like level 9 and with a lot of potch when you're done.

Try 110-115 fights if you lose track of the numbers, it only has to be over 108 fights.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I completely missed that post by Blue Thunder. :X Now my stupid question feels even stupider. Thanks, though.

Chimei Star

Crescent Moon Gunners

112245 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't worry about it, a bit of humiliation doesn't label you forever ^^ . Infact, I didn't know it was 108 fights until this topic, only knew I had to go 110-115 incase I lost count. I see why it's 108 aswell, heheh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: