Suikoden United and Illusional Knowledge Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think I remember reading in a gaming magazine that a producer said that DQ games are about the world more than the characters. They want you to explore and stuff. I'll see if I can find that again. I will say that I liked what I played in the demo.

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

heh, they finally got rid of the archaic "talk" command.

A lot of references to the older 8 bit games here. The music, sound effects, monster poses and even some icons. A huge feeling of nostalgia for me.

Anyway, I'm loving the game so far.

For anyone new to the series, keep in mind that this game will give you nothing. Most RPG's will give revive your character automatically at 1 hp after death in battle. You'd never, if ever struggle during a random encounter. You don't even have a map of a dungeon or world until you actually find the map item. And lastly, simply relying on the travel (or journey) to a boss to sufficiently level you may not work successfully. You really need to spend time levelling and invest in good equipment.

So what are your early game thoughts on the game? I've found the voice acting superb. Love Yangus' cockney accent, eh guv. The one thing they did well was the psyche up command. Where you could wait a turn for a more powerful attack. Now they did this correctly in that it's not needed to beat many enemies, but it does add a bit of strategy. After playing through XSII's implementation which I found quite tedious, the DQ8 implementation seemed much more polished. In fact, this whole game feels very polished to me. Just the little things all seem like a lot of care was put in to it. From the level of detail to the well thought out interfaces. Very polished.

Anyway, back to playing, hope at least some of you guys are enjoying this game.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just tried the demo. It looks/sounds extremely silly.
Synchysi

Creatures Once Godlike

11782640 Potch
18161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If it's silly in any manner, it would just be a few aspects of the presentation.

As for me, I'm enjoying the game so far. I still wish the towns (well, town, being that I've only visited one) were easier to navigate; that is, a higher camera would have helped, but it's not a big deal. The voice-acting sounds decent enough so far, too.

Graphically, the environments are beautiful and I'm quite enjoying the animations in battle. The monsters are very well-designed too; I'm not by any means a fan of Akira Toriyama's work, especially his redundant character designs, but every monster I've encountered so far has looked great.

The Dragon Quest/Warrior series has never been about deep, involving stories or lovable characters; it's been about the gameplay and exploration. Ever since the second game in the series, there's only been a certain degree of linearity; you're told where you need to go, but you're under no obligation to get there any time soon. That's one of the things I've always loved about the series, and it seems to still be present.

Sindarin Speed Bumps of Rage

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Originally I honestly was a little put off by the art style. I know that Toriyama and his style is very popular, but I'm not a huge fan. Just personal taste. After looking at the screenshots I've seen and reading some of the feedback that I've seen around the net, however, I decided to go ahead and give it a try. Unfortunately, due to my bank being inept at answering my questions about shipping and billing addresses, it looks like my order was delayed, so I may get it sometime next week, but more than likely the week after due to the Thanksgiving holiday.

When I do finally get it, I'll be happy to sit about and discuss what I think. :mrgreen: I have no problem being opinionated.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't put it down. Rhapsodia just took the bench because of this game. Good thing I finished it though.

Aside from Dragonball and Chrono Trigger, I don't really follow Toriyama's work. So i was expecting his old school design and not much else.

But it was a nice surprise to see that his art has refined after all these years. His characters still look the same but they give off a different flair of identity. There are some humorous arts in this story as well, particularly when Yangus gets surprised by the King.

I also noticed that he actually learned how to draw girls. The last time I checked, all his girls looked pretty manly. This time though, Jessica and a few of the other girls actually look like girls. It looks like he took some extra effort with Jess because it really shows. Gameplay speaking, she looks great. And I'm not necessarily talking about her gifted area either. She reminds me of Jeane but since you can sometimes change her costume, she one-ups her, in my opinion.

Not having a world map for the longest time annoyed me, but thankfully I just got one. I don't get lost anymore.

Darkside of the Moon

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is this game better than Romancing saga? and Would it be worth a buy?

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's really hard to say, since Romancing SaGa is an entirely different type of RPG. Dragon Quest VIII is more traditional for a casual player of RPGs, and likely better in his/her eyes because of that fact. Is a very straightforward, no-nonsense type of game that offers you an amusing story and cast, but emphasizes battling over reading text.

A good buy for most fans of the genre.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This game is amazing. Holy crap am I addicted.

[spoiler]I'm after some harp to get my ship to work[/spoiler]

The sense of exploration is AMAZING in this and the characters <3 I've stopped playing Rhapsodia altogether since I got this. It's that engaging.

The use of comedy in this is great.

"Jail cat casts crack!" I was rolling.
Synchysi

Creatures Once Godlike

11782640 Potch
18161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I've put a good 57 hours on this since it came out. Unfortunately I think I'm near the end.

Spoilers; highlight to read: I've just cleared the snowfield area and am on my way to get Empyrea, which I assume is my air transportation.

Everything except some of the voice acting has kept me enthralled. The story is nothing special, but it's good enough. The characters are great, and I love the dungeon designs so far. This might finally inspire me to finish DQVI and VII.

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Even if you're at the end, there's so much to do in the game you can play for atleast 50 more hours.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I saw my first glimpse of the game over at my fathers for thanksgiving and I can honestly say I'm not impressed. I know I can't judge on a 5 minute look but it looks rather goony and it seems the characters are way TOO Dragon ball Z looking. I looked at the box art and I see a girl who is the EXACT facsimile to Marle from Chrono Trigger. I enjoy that artists works and all but he should really learn that Bulma will only work so many times. The girls did look a bit more feminine, but not enought for me to say its different than Lucca, Ayla and Marle from Chrono Trigger or Bulma from DBZ. Also the "king" guy looked eerily like one of Piccolo's race.

Aside from the complaints I have with the character designs I have to say the mechanics don't look like anything new or nifty. This game better have a whopping storyline that is nothing short of epic for me to get into it. Also the "100" hours of side quests sounds interesting. As long as it isn't some form of retarded card game or rediculous racing game I'll be happy. Once my brother gets done wioth it or bored with it I'll borrow it and judge a lot better for myself. I hope I end up eating my words here because I want to love Dragon Warrior again I really do. But from what I've seen I'm not impressed. The main character doesn't talk much from what my brother said. I'm getting sick of mutes playing heroes.

Maybe someone here can sell me on this game and why its so addicting and sets it above Suikoden Tactics or any other recent releases. I'd like to hear WHY people love this game. I don't want to hear that you love it and that you can't put it down, I want to hear why you are addicted and feel this game rules so much.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well for starters I havent been able to put as much time, and attention into the game as I would like considering that up until Wednesday morning I was working. Now I dont have that going for me, so I am more than able to put a lot of gaming time in, now that I have the free time to do so. With that said my initial impressions of the game is excellent, with it's improved graphics, and gameplay system. The music fits the game extremely well, but the voices are annoying me already, and I am less than five hours into the game. However it is not all that much of a detterent so I can keep playing the game with very little difficulty.

I dont really have anything to complain about when it comes to the character designs because to me it seems to be fairly decent. I mean it isnt anything all that spectacular on par with say one of the Final Fantasies, but it was never meant to be. I think graphically for Square Enix this series is more of a pet project so in the end they could experiment with various graphical designs if they saw fit. Dont get me wrong, I would have preferred if they had put a bit more detail into the graphics for this game, something more like Final Fantasy 10. However, since it doesnt, and more than likely a large chunk of Square Enixs graphic focus is on Final Fantasy 12, I think this game is more than adequate there.

I would not go so far as to call the storyline to this game thus far mind you, to be epic sounding, but far from a shabby one. I have not gone all that far into the game yet, so I cant really say all that much about the storyline, you will just have to take my word for it.

The Silent

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I rented the game the otehr day. I've never been a huge fan of the series, but I figured I'd give this one a shot because it was getting so much praise.

Did it change my view on the series? Not at all. I thought it was a poor excuse for a game. I could say a lot of things about how I disliked this game, but this article pretty much does it all for me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It must've been very hard to find an article like that. His thoughts and views on the absurdly repetitive and bland Final Fantasy XII also made me laugh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: