Suikoden United and Illusional Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In 4 days, sites are saying Nov. 15 as the release date. Only 4 more days....

Who here are fans of the Dragon Quest series? For myself, DW1 was the first RPG I ever played, loved every minute of it. Played every other DW that came to NA too.

I've avoided spoilers about this game, avoided plot and heck, even avoided gameplay news about this game because I didn't want to ruin it. Luckily I don't belong to any Dragon Quest sites like I do Suikoden hehe.

From what I have heard though, death is still only revivable at a church, the game feels very old-school which in itself is a very abstract description. Someone on the net said if you did everything it'd take close to 75-100 hours to complete.... though they did say it wasn't as long as DW7 hehe.

For anyone interested, here are some links to previews, reviews. Careful reading the gamespot one though, I had to skip a few paragraphs due to what I though were possible spoilers.

RPG Fan's Review [rpgfan.com]
GameSpot's Preview [gamespot.com]
IGN's E3 Report [ign.com]
GameSpy's Preview [gamespy.com]

For those that haven't played a DW/DQ, here's a bit of useless info:

Did you know that in Japan, there is a law which states this game can only be released on weekends or holidays? Read this quote about the game:

Quote:
Over the years, Dragon Quest has become extremely popular. When Dragon Quest III was released on a weekday, many kids skipped school to get their copy. Lines at game stores became several blocks long. Some people were even mugged by disgruntled customers desperate to get a copy. It got so out of hand that the problem was brought to the Japanese Diet. It's now a law that a Dragon Quest game can only be released on a weekend or holiday.

Source: DQ Shrine

The name was always Dragon Quest, but due to a copyright, Enix needed to change the name when they released DW1 here so they chose Dragon Warrior. That copyright has since expired and Enix (now Square-Enix) can now release the game under it's proper title.

If you haven't played a DQ/DW game, and you're looking for a challenging, old-school game with gorgeous visuals and an adventure that could rival LoTR, you must check this game out. It's unconventional when you compare it to FF and it's clones but it is the father of the Japanese RPG market.

Are you going to get it? Do you have your preorder in? Are you taking a day off to play it? Yes to all the above for me :D

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I finished the game last year. It was a very good game. You can resurrect people outside church though--using spells and items.
Jhones

The Vermillion Legion

7066 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm going to get this...

No, it's not for the FFXII demo pachaged with it.

<_<

>_>

<_<

I'm going to get myself banned if I keep acting like a jerk...
Himuro

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am getting it and the FFXII demo is APART of why I'm getting it! I won't be able to start asap though because I'm playing SOTC, DDS2, and RHapsodia now! :mrgreen:
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I will get it, but not right away. I have made the financial decision that until games drop into the $20-30 range, my money is better spent elsewhere. Of course, this means I will wait months before I buy any of the newer games, but I like saving money more than playing the games right away.

Darkside of the Moon

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Did you guys see the commercial on tv? Its Pimp dough yo!

It has these weird vines taking over japan than the vines go to north americia. Its all like "Woah we goina die! die with fun!"

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's a pretty bad commercial. It didn't show any in game footage at all. Honestly I think the whole "it's popular in japan so you should buy it!11" ad campaign is stupid.
Edge Riou

Brotherhood of Strife; Fate

311768 Potch
11 Soldiers
724673 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I definately want to get this game, and as a plus, it is comming out on my birthday. Hopefully I can get the money to buy it, as it looks like a really fun game. I actually still enjoy playing Dragon Warrior 1 back on the NES. This game to me is worth getting out of the sheer nostalgia level.

Crescent Moon Gunners

112245 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not a fan of the series, mainly because it's been a Japan-only series so far (the parts that were released outside of Japan never made it to England.. As usual). However, as soon as I saw the footage for the game, I tussled over my hate for Dragon Ball (and to that effect Akira Toriyama's style) and decided I'd like the game.

don't get me wrong, Akira Toriyama is a great artist, and I'll finally be able to appreciate the style without being forced to watch that danged series.

On a side note with the VA's, doesn't Yangus (The big guy) have a Cockney accent? You can hear the VA's in gamespot's video of the trailer btw, if you want to hear.

Also, I'm really not into the whole FFXII scene, so I couldn't care less if the demo comes with the PAL version.
Synchysi

Creatures Once Godlike

11782640 Potch
18161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been looking forward to this game for months. Though, as a refresher I should finish Dragon Quest VI; it's the only of the main series I have yet to complete.

The NES Dragon Warrior games are indeed great for nostalgia, but I don't know if I'd say they had great visuals. The graphics were rather bland; that, and there was absolutely no in-battle animation until the series went to the SNES. Dragon Warrior III and IV are still my two favorite NES games, though.

8553 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got the demo for this game in the mail (plus slime keychains!!!) and it was really fun from what I played. And for once I was really into the voice acting, which is so rare for me. Definately getting this... can't go wrong... get the game AND an FF12 demo. Woot.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a new fan of the series and I absolutely enjoyed the Demo disk that a friend let me borrow. I spent a few hours leveling up my characters to see the animations of the different weapons available. At first I thought it was very simplistic, but that seems to be a trademark of the series, from what I heard. Truth be told, it didn't bother me as much as it surprised me.

I've also heard that the original classics are everyone's favorite Dragon Quests. But well, I can honestly say that I will be treating this game as a new game of its own because frankly, I don't have much of a choice. I chose to get this game over Wild Arms: Alter Code F (I couldn't get both thanks to Rhapsodia crippling my funds) so its promising reviews are a good sign for me. If it goes well, they just made a new fan.

Before I do play the game tomorrow . . . *today actually* is there something I should know about the series? For example, are the games directly related like in Suikoden, distantly related like Breath of Fire, or not related at all like Final Fantasy?

Are there also some inside jokes like Suikoden's Scolteheim Reinbach III, which I should look for? I've already found out about those slimes that I've been trying forever to find out where it was from.

I just want to maximize the gaming experience. People hold this series dearly. I hope it'll have the same effect on myself.

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Defiantly getting it.

Even though the only Dragon game I played was Dragon Warrior VII, I really liked that one, was one of my most addictive and favorite games of that time, sadly I never got to finish it, I remember being stuck somewhere trying to find a map piece thingy, eventually giving up with the game.

I really liked the cartoony comic look of that game, the tiny characters, one side battle style, and weird story, really regretted not being able to finish it.

I totally forgot about that game until I read the comment in here of only "reviving charters in church" and I was like "oh, surely related", my heart revived with happiness.

Anyway, yeah, I'm getting it, and you know what, I know of someone who'll be getting it only because of the demo of Final Fantasy XII coming with it, what a stupid person not wanting to play a game that might be one of the best ones, not that I really care about him, he was blabbering something about throwing the game and keeping the demo, if true then yuppie for me, I'll get a great game (hopefully, I never read anything about this game before, and I don't want to, no need to ruin anything for myself if I'm really just near of getting it) for free :mrgreen:.

Hopefully that friend of mine doesn't change his mind about keeping the game; if he does then I'll just kill him and take it away (or buy a copy of my own).

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, this game looks awesome! I knew it was coming out but I never bothered to look up information about it, so I figured it would be much like the previous DQ games. But looking at the screenshots, this game is a must-buy for me. You can finally see your characters in battle! Unfortunately I won't be getting this game until late December, but it will be a nice game to switch off playing between Suikoden Tactics sessions.
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm skeptical of this game. I haven't played any of the Dragon Warrior/Quest games since I played Dragon Warrior 4 on the NES and I thoguht that game was lacking in a lot of areas. It was fun when I first played it, but I thought the characters were very lacking in character development and the storyline was bland and I worry if this game will be the same. I don't like the graphical style and the characters look goofy to me and I wonder if the storyline wil be a reflection of that. Hopefully, I am wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: