Suikoden United and Infamous Karma Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Changes in Suikoden
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luc

1862 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Changes in Suikoden Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are a lot of changes in S4 it seems that konami and the Suikoden staff are trying to make it a mane tream game [aka Final Fantasy,Dragon Quest]. this will make some Suikoden fans mad but if you are mad will you leave or keep playing for the story?
Malc

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll keep playing it for the story line, FF and DQ aren't bad games.
Wiseman

Army of the Six Wise Men

110280 Potch
250 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It can still be a good game if it is mainstream. Plus if it does become main stream, it will help ensure we will keep on getting more Suikodens.

Guardian of the Great Forest

Battle wounds and scars is how I show my pain
My palms covered in the blood of those I've slain
Yet I still keep comin back all the same...
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thats very true I mean FF and DQ are really great series....I just hope Suikoden keeps it uniqueness u know it's so different then other rpg's...Well that's what i think anyways
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Plus if it does go mainstream than maybe more people will get into playing it. Always look for the silver lining in everything.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it really doesnt bother me. for some reason selling out in video games never was a problem. which is funny, cuz in other area's, ie music (mainly punk), I'm a real elitist a$$hole. just as long as people don't all of a sudden wear trucker hats with suikoden on them, ill be cool.....like i said, a-hole

(woo-hoo 108!!)
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone outside the US has been deprived of Suikoden merchandise since it came out. I'm not saying a major boost in sales will bring anthing overseas, but if we do manage to bring in more money, They will take us very seriously.

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually I wouldn't even care if they change the whole game from up to down because it will always have a unique thing that differentiate it from other games and a mysterious thing that always draw us toward it every time, so don't worry about it because Suikoden will always be on top of my favorite games no matter what. :)

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd keep playing, no matter what, if not just for the familiarity and love of the characters (dude, I basically bought a PS2 so I could play Suikoden 3!)
Eriatarka

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As long as they keep the continuity and not have a completely new cast in a new world every game, I don't mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gwendal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What are those changes you`re talking about? Making it more mainstream? I thought they were trying to make it more like S1...

It doesn`t really matter to me anyway...I wouldn`t mind more Suikoden games being sold.

Rebel of Babylon

1124503 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If the game is good, I will most definitely play it, even if Konami tries to go for a more mainstream approach. But from the trailers I've seen thus far, I'm liking the way the game looks and sounds. As far as the gameplay itself, I can't answer that one until I actually have the game and have experienced the controls and the battles firsthand.

Reviews can give you an idea of what to expect, but it all comes down to the person playing the game. What seems awkward for one person may be comfortable for another. I'm a long-time Final Fantasy player and have nearly all the games in the main series, and I have a friend who got into the series with Final Fantasy X. While it it probably a good game, I just couldn't play too much into Final Fantasy X-2, but my friend really enjoyed it.

However, my experience playing Suikoden III would be closer to the mainstream comparison, in a way. It was the first Suikoden on the PS2 and the first in 3D. It didn't "look" like the Suikoden I am so fond of, but it is Suikoden and I was determined to play through to the end. Though sometimes it seemed to drag on in places.

I don't think improving the graphical presentation will upset Suikoden fans, or even making changes to the battle or HQ system. What I do think would anger Suikoden fans is if Konami were to drop everything that made the series Suikoden and adopted a generic RPG system. No offense intended to the Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior series with the "generic" term, I just couldn't think of any other way to put it.

Looking at the "mainstream" label from the other side of the coin, it doesn't have to be a dirty word, since becoming more "mainstream" doesn't mean Konami has to change anything about the series. If Square-Enix (then-Squaresoft) hadn't intended for their Final Fantasy games to be so FMV intensive, they wouldn't have jumped over to Sony with Final Fantasy VII.

Konami may have done some tweaking to the mechanics from game to game, but the core of Suikoden remains the same:

* We have 108 Stars of Destiny brought together by the Tenkai Star.
* We have a headquarters for the army to gather, which grows as we recruit new stars. Suikoden III differs from the first two games, where the headquarters building itself hardly changes, by the area around builds up.
* At some point in the game, we acquire the ability to teleport to places we've visited (courtesy of Viki) along with the Blinking Mirror.
* The conflict is internal to the nation(s) in which the game is set, and is not your run-of-the-mill "teenager saves the world" story.

I don't know all that much about the story to Suikoden IV... been avoiding much of that info, actually. I don't really want to know what happens, though I like knowing about characters who may be returning. It's hard when you have access to the internet to remain unspoiled for any length of time, but as long as I don't stumble upon stuff like "OMG! Luc is the Masked Bishop!" in regards to Suikoden IV, I'll be happy.

If Konami making Suikoden more "mainstream" will give the series more exposure and keep the games coming until the series reaches its conclusion, then I'm all for it.

If only Konami could do a favour for our European friends and release Suikoden III in PAL!

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
King Jarrett

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

someone private msg me about what "mainstream" means...but alll im saying is keep the basic idea about suikoden and then the fans will love it..but to me i dont care about the grapics its just the vibe i get while playin suikoden..but im sure the graphics to help the game look better....i think they should scrap the suikoden 3 trinity system for sure..i wouldnt mind them going back to 2D at all..i dont like how u had to partner up with someone in the party in suikoden 3, becuz if u wanted to use everyones rune you couldnt becuz you have to decide on one of the two chars runes..i liked the support characters...i didnt like the story line of suikoden 3, i hope suikoden 4 is 100times better..im just prayin everyday that they make the right choices on suikoden 4
Suikojowy

1708 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

main·stream ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mnstrm)
n.
The prevailing current of thought, influence, or activity: "You need not accept the nominee's ideology, only be able to locate it in the American mainstream" (Charles Krauthammer).

adj.
Representing the prevalent attitudes, values, and practices of a society or group: mainstream morality.

tr.v. main·streamed, main·stream·ing, main·streams
To integrate (a student with special needs) into regular school classes.
To incorporate into a prevailing group.

The game itself looks very FFX-ish to me, and has a hint of skies of arcadia with the ship battles.
I still trust it'll be like the others (though i wouldn't know about 3) hopefully konami would be nice enough to release this and maybe suikoden 3 together in europe but it's very doubtful =/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
suikoguild

Magicians With Attitude

0 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a good thing to make S4 a mainstream game !!! I would love to see a commercial for S4!!! I'm just surprised that S4 is starting at $39.99 USD ... I thought it would cost around 49.99 USD. I guess this is a promo trick to get sales up!! So people who Pre-Order the game @ 49.99 should ask for the current price or however it works !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: