Suikoden Uncouth and Illegal Kraalesque Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Editorial: Why do we feel the need to see Viktor and Flik again?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prince Crisafulli

Fulli Force

5827 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really do hope that they return in another game, one of my favourite moments from Suikoden 2 is when Viktor saves Riou and Jowy from death for treason charges. When he makes a joke about himself not being able to catch Rowd I was laughing hillariously. Viktor and Flik were always there to help, and their presence made the game a lot better, I loved it when Flik would be calm and collected, while Viktor would be arguing with the Star Dragon Sword.
Prophecy

Local Ruffians!!!!

60970 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh my good memories of Viktor and the sword, i have to say out of the games i've played an RPG never really had me laughing since Earthbound for SNES. (which i still play to this day too! classic game...)

As for flik, just the way he looked was nice to have him in the game, as said before hes always calm and collected, always in control. Just an overall great character to have around!

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To be honest, I didn't think much of Flik when I first got him. I kept wondering what girls saw him. I did have a fondness for Victor though, he was indeed fun to have. Because I had Suikoden 2 first, I had Flik and Victor often for the their double-attack. It was nice, quick and swift. Plus Flik was pretty useful. Didn't like using Victor on his own though since he didn't have any powers, or seem that strong. So I was impatient with him I admit. Story-wise, his was one of my favorite.

I agree with most of what was written here. The reason Victor and Flik work so well together to me, is because they're complete opposites of each other.
Victor I see as the kind of guy most guys can relate to. He's boarish(lack of a better word), but means well. He's your stereo-typical Man. One who loves to drink, hit on women, and has a sense of adventure. And of course, like every man, there is a deep side to him. One where he doesn't want others to know, and he tries to aviod. We may not know much about Victor's relationship with Daisy, but it does let us know he has his problems. Which can be hard to remember sometimes considering he usually acts so optimistic and arrogant. Especially if he was raised not to express his feelings. I find this maybe one of the reason why people love Victor. He's easy to relate, and fun to watch. He's a stereo-type of a man from his time, and he's great at it. Although Victor is outspoken, but I find guys should be able to relate him easily, maybe even girls. What person doesn't have a sense of adventure, or have the urge to win sometime? I see Victor to be one of the most realistic characters in the story as a result. He's dim-witted at times, but again it makes him more realistic.
When I first played with Flik in Suikoden 2, I thought he was nicer then Victor, but that was about it. I was happy to have him paired with Victor since cross attack rocked, and it was easy to level up with them around. After playing through Suikoden 1 and 2 a couple of times, he eventually grew on me. I was turned off by him at first since he seemed too straight up to me. Similar to why I don't like Chris much, and the knights. Flik just didn't appear to be fun to me compared to Victor. However, I began to understand why he fit so well in the story after playing through a couple of times. In Suikoden I, Flik was the teenager who had a crush on Odessa, and was probably jealous Tir got to go with her instead of him. After her death, it is reasonable for him to act the way he did. Every reaction Flik has done is realistic for someone for his character. Especially for one who only had his heart set on one girl. Flik portrays the type of guy who is going to remain faithful to the girl he loves, even if she is dead. This can be seen in Suikoden 2, when he tries to run from girls, or not pay attention to them. Flik is probably a lot more appealing to girls, since he has the attitude of a modest knight. One who would be nice to people, but be modest about his fame and skills. A handsome man who is shy and faithful, what more could a girl want? No wonder he's popular with the girls. I find one of Flik's most admirable traits is his sense of logic though, and his ability to speak up. Like the time Shu called him Blue boy, he immediately asked him not to call him that. I like Flik now because he is kind, but he also brings up reasonable points at times when things either go wrong, or something stupid happens.

Aside from their individual traits, I find the magic between them can only be achieved if they're together. Not only are Flik and Victor opposites, they also equalize each other quite well. While one is trying to repel women, the other is chasing. While one is modest, the other is arrogant. Victor is childish, while Flik is logical. If Flik didn't follow Victor around, he'd probably wouldn't have as many adventures as he would with Victor. While Victor gets himself in trouble, Flik tends to be the kind of guy to pull him out. Or at least help him listen to reason. During the courses of the game, Victor tends try to use his brawn, then Flik points out something logical. Both of them are portrayed as realistic friends as well. You can pretty much picture Victor being the lazy friend who will go in head first with problems, while Flik would try to be a reasonable calm adult. They're playful with each other, making them more enjoyable to watch. Like the time when you put them in a bath together with Riou and Victor asks if he's getting fat. Flik equals out Victor as much Victor does for Flik, and why the chemistry of them together is enjoyable. Individually, they're still enjoyable, but they're at their best when together.

So far, there hasn't been many pairs who are opposites but equalize each other well.
Valeria and Anita, haven't shown much character. They seem similar to me more then opposite, and there isn't really anything in their relationship that tells me they equal each other out.
Futch and Humphrey, teacher and pupil relationship. Although Futch may need Humphrey to learn from, I don't see much telling me Humphrey needs Futch. I may have to play the games again though.
Camus and Mikoltov, well they both seem straight up to me. Camus seems like the gentleman, while Mikoltov is just the knight. Nothing else.
Fred and Rico, although they both need each other, I don't see their personality equalizing each other.
Yuber and Pesmerga, nothing much about them, just Yuber likes chaos and Pesmerga is chasing Yuber.
Viki and little Viki, same as Yuber and Pesmerga, little information. Personality-wise they are good together though.

All of these characters don't have much story to them inorder for us to know much about them. So it is hard to feel much for these duels.

Tir and Gremio, although people don't call out for Gremio, they do call out for Tir. Same with the Riou. I find the reason for Gremio and Nanami not being called up is because they aren't that much fun to watch as pairings. Both Gremio and Nanami are the motherly figures of the heros, instead of the friend they need to equalize them. This is why I find people still demand Riou and Jowy because they do equalize each other well. Jowy being the smart one, Riou being the mute hero who is kind.
Clive and Eliza are a great pair, but they're hardly together to be considered a pair. Their relationship is interesting, but it's also finished. I find suikoden 2 ended it well for them.

If Flik and Victor do return, I'd image them being old of course, but there is a possibility they go to another area between Suikoden II and III's timeline, if Konami wanted them young. However, I doubt Konami would do that, and would only return them in a possible time.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To me, while Viktor and Flik are among my favourite characters, there are other duos who I'd like to see return much more than they.

McDohl and Gremio
Pahn and Cleo
Flik and Viktor
Riou and Jowy
Alan and Grenseal (I dunno, I just preferred them infinitely to Miklotov and Camus)

They are the duos who I'd like to see return at some point.

I enjoyed reading the editorial, you hit the nail on the head, there. Keep up the good work.

--Ray
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Obel Soldier

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's a great article about those two right there, Icebergin. However, there is one thing you left out about Viktor and Flik: They provide a sense of comic relief. Throughout the series, they are known to provide a couple of lines every now and then that'll make you chuckle. I, like many, am a big Viktor/Flik fan, and that's precisely the reason why I like them so much. Have you ever seen Lethal Weapon? Viktor and Flik remind me of Danny Glover and Mel Gibson.

We may not see Viktor and Flik for a while, but there is another duo out there that sorta reminds me of them: Hervey and Sigurd.

^ Shout out to John Layfield. Thanks for the sig, homes.

skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They are your classic Butch Casady and the Sundance Kid characters. That's the reason they are so great. I haven't really felt the need to see them again after III though. I wanted to see them so bad in III but after I finished it I realized that they would have been unecessary. I wouldn't mind seeing them if they did a Rahps game on High East Reb.
Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been playing the games in order, starting with I, and the first thing that caught my attention about Flik and Viktor is their sense of teamwork with one another - where it seems that one lacks, the other picks up the slack so that if you're following a conversation they're having with one another in real time, you don't find yourself looking back and forth between them, you're looking at both of them as if they're one person.

The highlight of Suiko II thus far was right off the bat, when the Hero gets himself in trouble and who is it that bails you out? You betcha. F+V. I nearly fell off the bed when I saw who it was, and not only that, I was happy that they had gotten nicer new avatar graphics as well. ¬.¬ ^_^

I would like to see more Flik and Viktor, but considering the historical time frames of the stories thus far, I'm not sure if it would be possible...unless they've got True Runes that we don't know about [and I don't think they do]. I also kind of wonder why other duos or teams of the same stripe [the first choice that comes to mind is Geddoe and anyone on his team] does / did not get the same in depth sort of character treatment that Flik and Viktor do / did. In any event, there's a lot of F+V story that I would like to see in the future - I'll keep my fingers crossed.

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

meh, I could careless, My first game was suikoden III, Victor and Flik are cool, and I wouldn't mind seeing them in another suikoden, but yeah....

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Noah

Sneaky Paw

6913 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To me it's just that it becomes easier to create 108 characters if there are many duos and trios and whatever you call a group of 5... (pentio...?)

Check it out:

Hero one and Gremio (the duo I am the most "afraid" of)
Viktor and Flik (in my circle, commonly refered to as "Fliktor")
Humphrey and Futch (not in beginning, but post suiko one...)
Tai Ho and Yam Koo
Hix and Tengaar
Lepant and Eileen
Kirkis and Sylvina
Valeria and Anita
Shin and Teresa
Clive and Elsa
Mondo and Sasuke
Seed and Culgan
Thomas and Cecile
Jeane and (what ever happened to?) Raura
Sigurd and Hervey (i.e. Fliktor of suiko 4)
Ugetsu and Shiramine (TH and YK suiko 4 ver.)
Rody and Estella (the most messed-up duo)
Hallec and what's his name... "the 'stache"
Ted and Hero one
Ted and Aldo (sucks to be you, Aldo)

as for group of three... every game has given us these...

Anji / Kanak / Leonardo
Rina / Eilie / Bolgan
Anna Lee / Pico / Alberto
Koyu / Gijimu / Lo-Wen
Hugo / Fubar / Sgt Joe
Sgt Joe / Rhett / Wilder
Nei / Toppo / Shabon
Futch / Sharon / Bright
Melville / Elliot / Alanis
Dupa / Shiba / Bazba
Lo Seng / Lo Hak / Lo Fong

it's kind of a stretch to find a "four"

but Duke's team and the "starting soldiers of S4" come to mind

As for "pentios" we have gotten one every game.

The blacksmiths
The squirrel-thingies
The Geddoe-team
The dogs
The mermaids
already know suiko 5 has something, but can't remember at moment.

if all characters were spontaneous loners... I'm not sure the game would be as fun.

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From what I have read, S5 has 5 beavers and 5 doremi elves, thats's pretty frickin scary to me (no make them stop, the pain, my ears)

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Coketastic wrote:
To me it's just that it becomes easier to create 108 characters if there are many duos and trios and whatever you call a group of 5... (pentio...?)

Check it out:

Hero one and Gremio (the duo I am the most "afraid" of)
Viktor and Flik (in my circle, commonly refered to as "Axiose")
Humphrey and Futch (not in beginning, but post suiko one...)
Tai Ho and Yam Koo
Hix and Tengaar
Lepant and Eileen
Kirkis and Sylvina
Valeria and Anita
Shin and Teresa
Clive and Elsa
Mondo and Sasuke
Seed and Culgan
Thomas and Cecile
Jeane and (what ever happened to?) Raura
Sigurd and Hervey (i.e. Axiose of suiko 4)
Ugetsu and Shiramine (TH and YK suiko 4 ver.)
Rody and Estella (the most messed-up duo)
Hallec and what's his name... "the 'stache"
Ted and Hero one
Ted and Aldo (sucks to be you, Aldo)

as for group of three... every game has given us these...

Anji / Kanak / Leonardo
Rina / Eilie / Bolgan
Anna Lee / Pico / Alberto
Koyu / Gijimu / Lo-Wen
Hugo / Fubar / Sgt Joe
Sgt Joe / Rhett / Wilder
Nei / Toppo / Shabon
Futch / Sharon / Bright
Melville / Elliot / Alanis
Dupa / Shiba / Bazba
Lo Seng / Lo Hak / Lo Fong

it's kind of a stretch to find a "four"

but Duke's team and the "starting soldiers of S4" come to mind

As for "pentios" we have gotten one every game.

The blacksmiths
The squirrel-thingies
The Geddoe-team
The dogs
The mermaids
already know suiko 5 has something, but can't remember at moment.

if all characters were spontaneous loners... I'm not sure the game would be as fun.

but what does this have to do why we need to see viktor or flik again ?

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Shigure

Nemui Buntai

150887 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm going to have to play Devil's Advocate here, because I'm not a big Flik-tor fan. Viktor gave me a few laughs with the Schtolteheim line, and smacking people, but I *loathe* forced parties. When I got to the end of Suikoden 1, I was all ready to open a big can of rock with my meticulously arranged party. Then I get stuck with Flik and Viktor. I was so frustrated.

Flik does nothing for me at all. He just seemed like a little weenie in the first game, and there didn't seem any quality or reason that he was supposed to be an amazing swordsman, or have his fancy Blue Thunder nickname.

Viktor gave me some comic relief, but Gremio did too, and I probably enjoyed it more. I think they could have shown up and held off the enemy like they do anyways without being in my party and ticking me off.

As for Suikoden II... They matured, and I enjoyed them a bit more, but again, Viktor stands out as the more entertaining. More pining about Odessa from Flik, fleeing from women, naming his sword after her... Flik kind of repels Nina for being exactly what he was. Just some dorky teenager with a crush, and he treats her like she has no idea what "love" is like... He was exactly the same way.

:no:

I hope I don't have to see them again, or if I do, it's not forced on me or mandatory. Having to go to insane lengths to get Tir in Suikoden 2 and getting the little extra scene and option of using him whether you wanted to or not was far, far better.

But I'm going to duck out before I get punted by Flik-tor fans.

>_>

<_<
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shigure wrote:

Flik does nothing for me at all. He just seemed like a little weenie in the first game, and there didn't seem any quality or reason that he was supposed to be an amazing swordsman, or have his fancy Blue Thunder nickname.

main reason why flik may of seemed like a weenie to you in 1 was due to the fact that he was young. he was about what a teenager it seemed like in the game. so he was a hot headed person in the begining. but as the game got to the end it seemed like he matured more. but since you get stuck with flik and viktor at the end didn't mind me since i always used the 2. plus flik has a high powerful unite attack with alen and grensenal that deals over 1000 damange.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Shigure

Nemui Buntai

150887 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't like Alen and Grenseal either.

-flees from rabid fangirl armies-
Star Dragon Sword

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm going to revive this topic, because it probably made me re like the suikoden series again. Suikoden V didn't really do much for me, but this forum made me relies why I like suikoden....Viktor and Flik, mostly Viktor, and now I know why.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: