Suikoden United and Inspirational Kosher Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Iron Chef
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince Muerto

The Cool Guy Regiment

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Iron Chef Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Does anyone else love this show? I love the way that everything is so fast paced and dramatic (chairman Kaga is so cool). I noticed that Masaya had a Chen Kenichi avatar so I made this topic. I love Chen too! I personally like Hiroyuki Sakai the best though. The way he presents his dishes always looks great. He always impresses the judges a lot too. I saw one episode where he got three perfect 20s and one 18 or 19 from the judges. He also looks cool with his old grandma glasses.

Also, what do you think of Iron Chef America. I don't like it for some reason. It doesn't seem to have the style that the original has. I also don't like how the American Iron Chefs try to make a point of using power tools to prepare their food. I once saw Bobby Flay using a power mixer that was about three feet long to mix two inches of sauce. It seemed like ot would save him time just to mix it by hand.

Anyway what are the opinions on these shows?
Chimei Star

Crescent Moon Gunners

112245 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ohoh, don't let Lord Masaya see this topic, you're asking for a lot :)

Of what I've seen of the original Iron Chef program, it's just one of those shows you find yourself watching and think "Hey, that was actually pretty good". Just a pity I don't know what channel it's on over here in England..

And for the American version, you can say that for pretty much anything they try to do themselves. Iron Chef America, most animes they try to dub.. e.t.c.. They all lose style. Of course, no offence to the Americans by the way, you try your darndest.
Zero

Blood Knights

3523 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Try our darndest? Well, I suppose subtle belittlement can't be avoided, he could've went the extra mile and make some joke about how we stuff our faces with burgers or something.

Iron Chef is funny if you ask me, anything concerning cooking is at least mildly entertaining, you'll notice the entire time those who are cooking are trying to add more action to what they're doing so it looks fancier. To tell you the truth, I don't think cooking could get more entertaining than that, unless of course you find yourself doing the same thing, at which point I'd shoot myself.

Julious Cezar
Dahgaba

Wandering Swords

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

that show is great. although i havent seen to many new episodes. but trust me, when that show comes on, i am watching it. :D

"Join us at the best Final Fantasy Forum around!" www.ffplatform.com
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5685455 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes i have always enjoyed the Iron Chef. It usually comes on late night on the food channel so i find myself watching it before i go to sleep. There is so much excitement going on and so many different things happening. I really enjoy watching the matches espcially when two of the chefs will team up.

I have only watched the american version a couple of times and it didn't seem that bad. Something about it didn't hook me to the series though. I would much rather watch the original version with the translators. I find it to be much more entertaining and i actually like the way the voice actors portray their japanese counterparts. The American version doesn't have the same flair in my opinion. I think it is just one of those things that can't be copied no matter how you do things. To put it simply they could recreate every aspect of the original show and it just would never be the same. It's not that it is that bad, but it is just not the same.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When I used to watc TV, Iron Chef was one of my favorite shows. I loved how the Japanese translations changed to strange English phrases and how the commentators always made obscure references to things that the food would remind them of. "This rice reminds me of the Spring I spent in Hong Kong with my old Grandmother picking roses for a living" and the like, it's beautiful. I loved how focused the chairman always looked and they kept his voice in Japanese but made the oter English. I loved it when they made things like fish ice cream and it didn't seem wierd. It's a great show.

I don't think the American one is that bad, but it definitely has some things lost in it. I remember one time when Sakai, I think it was Sakai it might have been Kenichi, was going against Wolfgang Puck and Sakai made one of those obscure foods that I love seeing and all of the judges were really amazed and sceptical of it. One fo the judges was the guy from the Sopranos and argued with Sakai that his "pizza' was more of a tortilla thatn a pizza. Stuff like that makes me see that it's American, but I appreciate it for that because it lets me see a direct difference in between the cultures.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have never seen this show but I have always wanted to. Just the idea of it sounds os awesome.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Vince Muerto

The Cool Guy Regiment

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Timbo wrote:
I don't think the American one is that bad, but it definitely has some things lost in it. I remember one time when Sakai, I think it was Sakai it might have been Kenichi, was going against Wolfgang Puck and Sakai made one of those obscure foods that I love seeing and all of the judges were really amazed and sceptical of it. One fo the judges was the guy from the Sopranos and argued with Sakai that his "pizza' was more of a tortilla thatn a pizza. Stuff like that makes me see that it's American, but I appreciate it for that because it lets me see a direct difference in between the cultures.

Ug. I hated those first Iron Chef America episodes where they had the lame American Iron Chefs (except Mario Batali who appeared to be the only one with talent) go against the Japanese Iron Chefs and all the American chefs won (except one, but I can't remember who it was; he lost to Morimoto). I really don't like Bobby Flay. He got hurt every time. I've seen him cut his finger a million times and even electrocute himself on an old Iron Chef New York battle. I haven't seen him in the recent ICA episodes. I think they cut him because they were sick of paying his medical bills :)
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

my Mom watches food netork a lot, the shows fun, its always intersting to see what kindof desert one can make with beef.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kane of the Black Sea

Pilage and Plunder

77740 Potch
208 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've always like Iron Chef and I do believe that the anouncers really made that show exciting to watch, being that I didn't know cooking could be exciting. I liked how hard they always seemed to be working. Though I'm not sure how their restaurants ever do well being that it seems to take an entire hour per five customers :mrgreen: .

The Iron Chef America isn't that great, I will find myself watching it sometimes but I think the only reason I watch it is because I like the original so much. I think they should have got some announcers who were a little more excitable like the translators for the original.

Do you think they would ever start up the original one again in Japan??? I think it would be kool especially if they could get the same translators and kept the flare it had and not the way they try and portray it in the new episodes.

Nameless Lands : Chikei - Avenging Star
Sig art by ardPSiko

All I want out of Life it to be a monkey of moderate intelligence who wears a suit.
Lucent

Toran Imperial Warlocks

14757 Potch
250 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This thread (and having watched Iron Chef yesterday) makes me think we should have an "Iron Chef" series of duels. Instead of things like "desperate attack" it would all be food themed, stats like skl, spd, kar, and maybe a little mag would be tantamount. All to see who is the most Iron Chef in all of Suikox~ :D

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've only watched the Indonesian version of iron Chef, entitled "Allez Cuisine" or something. Not bad for a show.
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

When I used to watc TV, Iron Chef was one of my favorite shows. I loved how the Japanese translations changed to strange English phrases and how the commentators always made obscure references to things that the food would remind them of. "This rice reminds me of the Spring I spent in Hong Kong with my old Grandmother picking roses for a living" and the like, it's beautiful. I loved how focused the chairman always looked and they kept his voice in Japanese but made the oter English. I loved it when they made things like fish ice cream and it didn't seem wierd. It's a great show.

ooh, as soon as I went to the community forum this caught my eye. Chen is amazing.. Iron Chef Chinese!! I like that he wears his yellow colored chef costume which sets him sort of out of the norm, and the foods he has always made, I've really wish I could of tried.. Does anyone notice I bet some of the food they actually make at whatever resteraunt or academy they work for cost probally a ridiciously amount for that small plate. I really would kill to be a judge on one of those shows. Oh and Chen has a funny smile when people give him compliments about his food.. it alway smakes me giggle. Hiroyuki Sakai is pretty amazing actually, I can't remember if was him or Chen that made a extra bag of cookies because for some reason the Iron Chef had so much time left over, he made something extra for all of the judges to take home.. I really think it was Chen because I think it was one of the reasons I fell in love with him.. Does anyone remember the episode were the main ingrediant was a Sturgen (which is like a bottem feeding lake shark!?) It was hilaarious they had to catch them with their hands and then kill the fish right then and their, it was kind of gory.. but I Loved XD.. and the food looked amazing. I think the last episode I watched was with Chen facing off agaisnt some challanger that was apart of a resteraunt that made some really good Oyaku don, and held this reasteraunt durring that terrible kobe earthquake.. and everyone was secretly chearing for her,, but then Chen won anyways I giggled happly knowing Chen roxors my boxors!!<3

eh.. I've only seen one episode of Iron Chef America, and I really wasn't that impressed.. it has alot of missing elements, I'm sure the cooks are amazing, and the food they make is probally really good, it's just.. its lost alot of it's luster.. it looks too techno age, and alot less face off looking. And besides, I bet the old school Ironchefers could beat the Ironchef american contenders anyday. :D

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As a chef in training, I have quite strong feelings against this show. Mainly due to the fact that... damn! They use Kobe Beef to make Hamburger! It's Kobe! That stuff is 200 dollars a pound! It's also due to that it's not real cooking and half of it is fake. Most of their Mise En Place are already done. They only do certain things for the camera. Most of the time is used strictly last minute things. Like rolling the dough or mixing things and what not.

I do however like the chefs, I've met Chef Morimoto several times. Twice at my school, and then again at his resturant in Philly. He's a really nice guy and I even got to see the kitchen of his resturant.

As for Iron Chef America.... Well I've met all of the American Chef's at least once, and have seen them do Demo's and cook things first hand and for the most part I was impressed. But there is a total different between European Cooking Styles and Asian Cooking styles. So you can't really compare them.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ooh.. I'd love to try some Kobe Beef with some Shyabu Shyabu.. a amazing way to eat thin slices of meat.. the last time I had it, I'm not sure what kind of meat I had, but according to my host family it was super expensive.. and it was super tasty.. but I doubt if it was that expensive my famly spent that much.. or I really hope they didn't :/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: