Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Keystone Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Internet... and the world is a small place.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: The Internet... and the world is a small place. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1711278

Long story made short: someone posts on an Internet forum asking where to get ammunition for a shotgun. Ten days later, someone by the same name, in the same area of the country, kill two people with a shotgun, and then kills himself.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...That thread makes me sick to my stomach, and in a funny way. I'm kind of glad I just post on Suikoden forums and the like. If someone asks a rune, the best we can do for 'ihm is point out designs to make tattoos out of. I'm kind of glad of that.

I'm not sure I'd be able to sleep well if I were one of those people who told him where he could find ammunition.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ard

Einherjar

804051 Potch
178 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow that is sort of creepy :shock:

Quote:
I'm kind of glad I just post on Suikoden forums and the like. If someone asks a rune, the best we can do for 'ihm is point out designs to make tattoos out of. I'm kind of glad of that.

Do not be so sure of that. You never know what might happen if someone asks a question about net fishing or something like that :wink: [/quote]
Icebergin

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is sickening. I've got a lot to say about this, but I have to goto work. When If get off work, however, the gloves are off. I need to get a long rant about this off my chest.

Man, stuff like this... wow. My only peace of mind from this comes in the fact that this person is no longer walking the face of this Earth.

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't really post the article to say, "Good thing it doesn't happen here". Some day, someone might go around posting questions on Community Forum or the Personal Forum saying, "I'm depressed right now." Two weeks later, they post, "I like hunting. Does anyone else hunt?" Then the post, "I broke up with my girlfriend."

Who knows what could happen. Now, this is a small board, so the chance that we're going to encounter someone who's going to be a murderer AND posts on the Internet (and provides enough clues to link up the two --- this was a very high profile murder, they gave the guy's name, and the guy posted his name on the message board; if the guy didn't post and didn't talk about shotguns, then no one would have made the connection) is less here than on Something Awful... but the probability is non-zero. Who knows - the next time someone dies in a plane crash, or kills someone, or what... it might be someone one or two degrees away from us.

The reason this case hits hard is because it hits so close to home. We all post on Internet message boards (I originally got that link from OCRemix, and I suspect that it's going to circulate very, very quickly; it will hit Slashdot if it has't already). This is also a media gold mine - "Depressed, autistic teenager posts on Internet forum. Internet forum goers tell him where to buy ammunition, and then make fun of him and push him to an extreme. He kills two people" (even though, if you read the SA thread, he was buying ammo for the intent purposes to "chase away gang members", and was abmonished for his intentions).
Alucard

Blood Crusaders

2016645 Potch
214 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. Only the weak summon upon the firearms...
2. Shooting yourself? Sure why not make Grim's job easier by reaching for his hand.... bloody weakling.

This doesn't actually shock me, you'll need a lot of blood and a big pile of dead people to impress me :evil: (All those bombs and stuff all have so few death, some people are totally shocked, I hardly care.)

And the chance to meet a murderer on a board:
A murderer isn't born my friends, he is created by the flowing of time and the stream of the mind.

Deep within us we all hunger for blood and desire to rip out the spine of those we dislike.

Feesting upon the flesh of our enemy we are called canibals and we get locked away, this is because we unleashed the true being within us, the being that still followes the rules of old.

Is there anyone here who understands me or am I the only blood hungering person here?

Regards
Nanami-san aka Alucard

Proud Blade of the Nameless Lands, Alucard, Blade of Shadows
Lady Chris

Zexen

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

heh thats not shocking to me

nanami san...youre not the only one, actually im much like you

i dont think such accident (or whatever you called it) is something i really need to look about and give much comments.

first of all a person who kill someone and then kill themself...whee
just..no comments...

i'd rather kill until someone can finally kill me.

Mondrosen
Games Fanarts and Drawings of Suikoden, Final Fantasy, etc! visit please (^^)v
Kane of the Black Sea

Pilage and Plunder

77740 Potch
208 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think the people should really be held responsible, I mean really you can easily just google it and find out where to get ammo.
In fact I just googled "shotgun ammo" and the third option said purchase shotgun ammo online. The guy could have simply done that.
Besides its not like getting ammo is very hard in the first place.

Nameless Lands : Chikei - Avenging Star
Sig art by ardPSiko

All I want out of Life it to be a monkey of moderate intelligence who wears a suit.
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So yeah, I dove into that site, and went around random links posted from that thread adn jumped to other ones.. the entire thing is legit.. a Autistic man, went into the firearms forum and asked about where he could go get ammo for his shotgun so he could seek revenge apoun a "gang" that drove through the neighboorhood every year durring halloween and shot his pumpkins. Bassically most people in the thread just suggested common knowlage where you buy shotgun ammo, however they kept telling him about how crazy and nuts it would be to actually point it at another person. Then like he said about 10 days later he went to some persons house about 100 yards from his own home, and shot a ex class man and her father. then when across the street and injured another person then shot himself... thats got bad karma all over it. I believe one of the board members actually turned it in to the police and stuff, even though no none got in trouble, because it really wasn't thier fault. I mean how serious can you take someone from a messege board anyways ya know? Even though I dont' think SARS would have much tollerance if someone posted something like that in a thread even in the community forum. However thats really too bad...

I"m really curious how long it will take till that hits more of a large mass media.. If the local news hasn't already grasped it, I'd be crazy if the national media took it.. who knows..

Blood Knights

3523 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We are talking about somethingaweful.com forums though, so long story short there you have a large group of people who don't actually post, they just pick on the new people until they get bored and move on to the next person. It's easy to see how someone who was mentally unstable anyway would lose it, a person can only take so much abuse before they cave.

Julious Cezar
Takemura

Darkside of the Moon

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jeez...Your right what a small world..

Army of Hades

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thats just crazy. It just goes to prove how crazy people really are. But I dont see how they can get in trouble either, cause ammo is so easy to come by now adays. I dont blame them for panacing either. If I was on there I would be a little freaked out as well.

It kinda reminds me of a story that happened to my uncles freind. To make it short he kept getting e-mails from some guy he met in a chat room. He started asking all these questions about his family, and where he live, just alot of personal stuff. Nothing happened but he was really freaked out by it. So he got a new e-mail and didnt go to any more chat rooms. And thats why I dont go there either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zero

Blood Knights

3523 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Technically they can't, unless of course the guy turned around and blaitently said that he planned on killing people. However, this doesn't stop the police from checking it out, and I would not doubt that in their local news it appeared somewhere that he was pre-meditating this attack on the internet. I hate people like that, they just add fuel to the fire. I dislike having the internet and gaming community blamed for things like that, but with idots running amuck, and yes, I do mean idiots, it's hard for the rest of us upstanding people to enjoy things like that without having another requirement put into place, i.e. Mature requring you be of 17 or older.

Julious Cezar
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I do mean idiots, it's hard for the rest of us upstanding people to enjoy things like that without having another requirement put into place, i.e. Mature requring you be of 17 or older.

I know I remember the days when I wasn't able to buy mature video games..I know this is off topic but, I just wanted to agree with that. People love to classify others meaning, if one idiot or even a hand full of idiots do something wrong.. lets blame something they were all doing. So then the rest of the normal people get penalized for it. They're were alot of posts on the actually thread, of gun owners talking about how it gives such a terrible name to alot of the gun owners. Which is very true.. I'm not sure about Way in California, but most people here in wisconsin, the gun owners are classified as hunters or inbred hicks or something to that nature. Which yes we do have alot of hunters and thats not a bad thing, it's hunting season and it's a sport and it keeps hte population level at a stable amount so too many don't dear or ect with cars. However once in a while you'll hear about some freak gun shooting between hunters. Like I think a kid that was out taking pictures of nature and stuff, and ofcoarse wasn't wearing orange, and a hunter shot him thinking he was a dear. Or even better there was a one sided shoot out between a crazy hunter, who claimed this huge chunk of land was his. (It wasn't).. and he ended up shooting a huge group of hunters, trying to defend his land so he could hunt on it.. eeh.. I guess I dont' want to be a stiff and stay.. we need heavyier gun laws, because thats just like video games.. just becuause it's mature doesn't mean people are going to follow it. Perhaps their should be a screening for gun carriers? I know theres some sort of tests and liesnese you need here, but it still really do very much...expeicall since most people from wisconsin drink aswell...or atleast I've noticed alot of the hunters do...yeah our forests are not a safe place durring the right season. I guess really it wasn't the guys fault.. not really the forums fault at all. As far online communities go... sure it's going to attract a whole junk of people...and some of them are probally going to be a little...crazy.. maybe to that extent.. but once in a while you get the people that don't seem to fit in.. and usually they dont' last very long on the boards...which is scary to think what they're doing instead, but I guess theres not much we can do. We can't babysit the world...

Fulli Force

5827 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with you, where I live a horrible thing happened a few years ago, they set off a bomb two towns away in a DIY equipment store carpark, then meanwhile as the police were checking out the decoy, my town's local newsagents was robbed at gunpoint, there should be much more restrictions and laws on the obtaining of guns, even though they are illegal in Britain, I still know of the gunshop in central Manchester, it also sells swords, without licence for either, all that is needed is to be over the age of 18, which means any old maniac could buy such things and be irresponsible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: