Suikoden United and Irenic Keystone Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What do people here think of the Total War series?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: What do people here think of the Total War series? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally like the series quite a bit. I think it is well done, and of course, building empires is lots of fun.

Shogun: Total War was the first one I played, and that was a long time ago. Sadly, I barely remember anything about, except that I was impressed with the battle system. Actually manually controlling hundreds of soldiers gives you an amazing feeling.

I didn't like Medieval: Total War quite as much. I thought that the religion system was cumbersome and the game, frankly, quite boring. Diplomacy was very straightforward (get married, form an alliance, rinse, lather, repeat), and the "drag and drop" method of moving units was very tedious.

Rome: Total War, is in my opinion, a masterpiece. The factions are diverse, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. The game is easily understood and navigated. Battles are fluid and the graphics are realistic. The worst part is those ridiculous accents used during the pre-battle speeches. :lol:

As for this Barbarian Invasion expansion, it's not as innovative as the original, nor as enjoyable. The units essentially fall into two categories: Roman and barbarian, with the only substantial variation between eastern barbarians and the western barbarians. And although the game gives you the option of changing your country's religion, it's almost never realistically effective to do so. For instance, if you go Christian with the Franks, the Pagans in your cities will go crazy and revolt.

But anyway, these are just my opinions, and I'm curious as to what everyone else feels about this series.
ShuTheLord

The Gale Knights

0 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Im sorry to say that Ive never heard of this series :oops: Maybe Ill check it out sometime, sounds cool
Nash Latkje

The Guy Your Mother Warned You About...

41000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When i first saw that old shogun total war... watching my cousin play it for ours and seeing that whole moving from this part of the country to the next, the strategic battles and all... i fell asleep, woke back up and fell asleep again just from watching it... sorry, if i played it it might have been different, but it's just boring in visuals. :?

As for Rome total war, there's a good game, but well, i'm still not completely into it. I'ts got a whole load crammed into it and is like one of the best strategy games ever made for the P.C... but it's just not my type a game...:(...
Dooz

Buttered-up Old Men

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally own all of the Total War games. I think they are great, Medieval being my favorite.

There's nothing greater then having an entire army of cannons firing against a castle and their thousands of peasant units. ;)

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shogun total war had a few things that bugged me, but I could see the promise in the game. Medevil was okay.

Rome Total War put the series over the top for me. Partly due to my like of the roman empire as well as the deep stratigical aspects.

How awesome does it feel to take care of an army twice your size simply because you out thought your opponent. You made a plan, watched it be executed and guided your army to victory. I had a general take over the entire europe and it was an amazing feeling. My one archer unit and my one Triarii unit were gold cheveroned and my general had tons of stars. Ahh, good memories.

I played a bit of Barbarian invasion, but found it a lot more of the same, if you started as greece or carthage in RTW proper it'd almost be the same.

Flanking, morale, unit types... seriously, it's such a deep strategical game, not just tactical (as in a battle map) but an empires strategy requires the player to take into consideration a lot more than just one battle and the resources afforded to you in that one battle.

I'm a huge fan of the series, and I'd love for them to do a 3 Kingdoms Total War.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A great series. I have played Medieval and Viking Invasion, but recently for what ever odd reason unknown to me i cant play them anymore.

I put in the disc, start up the game, click load game, game loads to the map, screen turns black and returns to windows.
This happens everytime i try to load a saved game or start a new one.

Anyone else experience this problem or have any ideas on how to fix it?

I doubt my PC is the problem:

AMD Althon 3400+
1GB DDR SDRAM
256MB Geforce Go 6200 Turbo
250GB Hard Drive
Sound Card

I would buy Rome Total War but i fear i might experience the same problems.
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5684336 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am actually playing a game in Medieval total war right now. I really love this game. I like the religion aspect and i think that overall it is a great game. I have poured so many late night hours into this game that i lost count months ago. Every time i start a new campaign i seem to get lost in the game and when i look at the clock usually at least 4 or 5 hours have passed. Although it is probably not the best game ever made as a whole, it keeps me hooked and that is all i care about.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Deloseth

Spectacular Slackers

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Medieval's my favourite. I just love the setting so much. To have Rome's game engine (diplomacy, governor system, etc.) with Medieval's units, time period and the like would be perfect. There's a mod in the works for Rome that does just that, and fingers crossed it'll be out soon.

Goldmember, I had a simillar problem a while back. Never found out what caused it (Surprisingly enough, it might be your card's latest drivers, Medieval's a bit finicky about which drivers it'll run with) but I fixed it by turning the map resolution down to 800x600. It doesn't look too great anymore, but it's only the map so I can live with it. And I have no similar problems with Rome, so you should get it :)

Edit: Typos.

Second Edit: I'd be interested to hear if anyone's played Spartan: Total Warrior. Same company, completely different style of game. I was thinking about picking it up, but I'd rather hear people's opinions on it first.
Lord Rengo

The Magus' Army

33445 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shogun: Total War, I played a lot. I usually ended up messing up 20 turns into the game and died. Oh well. However, I did end up taking over Japan with the Uesugi clan.

Medieval: Total War, I could never seem to conquer the whole map. I got the minor victory by conquering most of it, but never the whole thing. I made it pretty far with the Holy Roman Empire and England, but every time I when into Egypt, a lot of territories all over the map revolted against me, screwing me over. Oh well.

Rome: Total War, with the house of Brutii I was able to capture the entire map. This game was my favorite. I always hated the Senate, but after a while I realized that the missions were secondary to the strength of the house. Then I took my time, and if I didn't complete the mission, no big deal.

Barbarian Invasion has been a little bit of a disappointment. I'm currently playing with the Sassanids, which is pretty fun, but I don't like the religion. If I don't want to change the religion of a city, they hate me because I'm of a different religion, and if I decide to change the religion I have to demolish the religion building in the city, which generally causes a riot. It's pretty tough. I have been a little successful at converting lately, however. The Western Roman Empire sucks. It's too large, and it is hugely in debt. I don't know how to get them out of it. I honestly can't figure out the... er... I'm tired right now... can't remember the word. Oh well. I can't figure out the thing the Huns are doing. No territories, walking around with a wheel... I can't figure it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: