Suikoden Unique and Irenic Karma Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Need money for your town? Rename it!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Need money for your town? Rename it! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It seems that the small town of Clark, Texas has decided to rename itself DISH, Texas. This is in cooperation with the DISH Network to receive free DISH coverage for 10 years.

Is it me or has corporate advertising hit an all time low? I first thought that people changing their name to GoldenPalace.com was crazy, or getting the name of a company tatooed on their forehead for profit was ludicrous, but now we're starting to see companies buy the rights to rename towns. Somewhere this has got to stop.

Before you know it, you'll have a cousin in Pepsi, Arizona and a good friend in Maalox, Oregon. Remember the days when baseball was played in Candlestick park and Three Rivers Stadium? And the college bowls were called the Orange Bowl and the Gator Bowl? Now we're seeing the FedEx Bowl being played at Fleet Bank Stadium (I really don't know where the FedEx bowl is being played but you get my drift). For a while we've been slowly seeing the corporations take over sports. Now with DISH, Texas, we're starting to see their greed slip over into everyday life. Now every map made will have to give them a cheap advertisement. I think this has to be stopped before we start to live in a completely corporate playground.

"Hi, I'm RedCydranth from Palmolive, New York. Five years ago we were known as Nabisco, New York but their contract ran up and Palmolive bought it over. Where exactly is Palmolive? Well, its about 5 miles north of Goodyear and 25 miles west of Adelphia... sorry, they went out of business.. they're called TimeWarner, New York now."

I don't want to see the day where that is a valid statement. Am i the only one who really feels something is wrong with the country when a city changes its name to get free TV service? Jay Leno made a wonderful joke about this last night. "The people of Clark, Texas changed their town's name to DISH, Texas for free Satellite TV. Meanwhile the people of Intercourse, Pennsylvania are like.. what the heck!!!"

All I'm saying is that I'm tired of seeing corporations take over the names of events, stadiums and now its coming to town names. Am i the only one really disturbed by this?

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Alucard

Blood Crusaders

2016645 Potch
214 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am 100% behind you RedCydranth !
Where do corporations get the right to do that ! Ok so what if they get something free for 10 years... Are gouvernements that spineless and have they no sense of honor nor pride !?

I spit on the one responsible for agreing with this "DISH, Texas" !

Whats next? They gonna rename our planet !?
We live on Nike, planet earth...

Well I don't know about you guys but I don't like the sound of that :?

Regards
Alucard

Proud Blade of the Nameless Lands, Alucard, Blade of Shadows
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They can start having "trades" in that case for high-profit cities.
Alucard

Blood Crusaders

2016645 Potch
214 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars Ad-Minh wrote:

In plain english : Your not against it ?

With all do respect I can't understand how you can agree with this.

Ok I'll walk up to Coca Cola (also known as Coke) and tell em I'll change my name to Cola if I get free Cola (light please :p)...

Everyone will start doing that kind of stuff then and eventually we will all become a "product" of those companies :?

Regards
Alucard

Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ooh wow thats amazing.. actually I wish we'd rename our city of Eau Claire to the city of Charter... which is our cable company. I'd kill for free High speed internet right now.

Yeah.. but what would happen if a huge city like New York was or Chicago renamed themselves.. something like Warner.. or Time Warner.. or any other servies. available in that area.

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/about/news/2005/cheriton
Dahgaba

Wandering Swords

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it is like a coorperate takeover, but the coorperation is the world. But I think I will turn out fine. It wouldn't bother me any as long as they don't have names like Tampax, Florida or Depends, Maine. That is when I would have to argue with the names. Other than that it would not bother me any.

"Join us at the best Final Fantasy Forum around!" www.ffplatform.com
Equus

Sindarin Speed Bumps of Rage

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I do somewhat miss the "non-branded" sports venues. It doesn't bother me too much to have "Safeco Field" rather than the Kingdome, even if you don't take into account how nice the new stadium is. Other than wanting to feel nostalgic about Candlestick Park or something, however, I've become used to marketing driven naming.

Now entire towns? That's pretty crazy, I think. I understand Hershey, Pennsylvania, but DISH, Texas is a little different. Strangeness.
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's just ridiculous.
Town's name equal to a town history.
Change it with a brand name?
For God's sake.
Maybe at the future earth will change name with a corporation's name.
Imagine that. :?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

nanami-san wrote:
Sars Ad-Minh wrote:

Nah, I think it's absurd, but I don't really care either way.
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's absurd and weird, but also amusing. It's like all the companies are investing but in a country. Soon, there might be no more presidents anymore, just CEO's and stockholders ruling a country. It's just not right, countries should be countries, and companies should be companies.

Oh well, maybe on the bright side they'll persuade towns with names like F*****, Hell, and other towns with absurd and hilarious names to change their names to something more hilarious we can laugh more about.
Alucard

Blood Crusaders

2016645 Potch
214 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars Ad-Minh wrote:
nanami-san wrote:
Sars Ad-Minh wrote:

Nah, I think it's absurd, but I don't really care either way.

I think I have understood it now :)

You think it's an idiotic idea and it is a shame but the most important thing to you is you keep on living.
You don't care what happens to towns, cities, nations, planets as long as you can keep living the life you like :p

I like that attitude actually ^^

(Still I don't think it's correct of those companies though, so I also agree with Axis
Axis wrote:
countries should be countries, and companies should be companies.
. But what can an individual do against big money companies who can just ignore you....And who will even stand up to it since I already saw many positive reactions (People who liked it I mean)...Lets kill those companies ! *loads up the EMP-bomb*)

Regards
Respect to SARS
Alucard

Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Calupict wrote:
It's just ridiculous.
Town's name equal to a town history.
Change it with a brand name?
For God's sake.
Maybe at the future earth will change name with a corporation's name.
Imagine that. :?

Someone offers you $500 USD to change your Forum Name to the name of a game that's coming out. I dunno... "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: Mandalorian Wars" coming out for the XBox 360. You have to use the name until the game's released, and then you can change it back. You also get the free soldiers to change your name.

Hell, I'd do it. Anyone here do the http://freeipods.com thing or similar? I haven't, but anyone who has shouldn't really complain about being exposed to corporate advertising and "selling out to the man", so to speak.

This is one of those things that's very easy to be against until the opportunity to receive monetary gain in exchange for a favour is presented to you.
ard

Einherjar

804051 Potch
178 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This sounds like a typical crazy Amrican thing.
Well if it would be possible i would change the name of my town to HeinekenUnoxCaiwaytown or something like that.
Thing like that really sound stupid but if things get cheaper or are going to be for free why not?
Life would be so much cheaper in an instant. Too bad i am no mayor of a town. :(

I dislike most names of cities and towns and such in my country anyway.
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
But what can an individual do against big money companies who can just ignore you....And who will even stand up to it since I already saw many positive reactions (People who liked it I mean)...Lets kill those companies ! *loads up the EMP-bomb*)

That's why you gotta prevent it now before it's too late and all of a sudden you'll be a citizen of The Obesitic Republic of Mcdonalds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: