Suikoden Uncouth and Inspirational Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

A question about Thomas' potential..
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Chaos

13694 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: A question about Thomas' potential.. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm just starting out on Chapter four and I was wondering how useful Thomas can be in a party at this point in the game? He's one of my favorite characters in the game and although I know His thing is He's the underdog, I have heard if you spend some time with him and build him up right He can be a valuable party member. I currently have him up to LV 40 with great armor equiped and a good sharpened weapon and I'm still not seeing it. I've been told by alot of casual players that He's just not worth it but Thomas still seems to get alot of praise from alot of faithful suiko 3 veterans.

I really don't want to replace him with someone like Sharon or Young Viki but I'm really starting to contemplate it.

Last edited by Dr. Chaos on Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zaj I mean Mike

I just sell weapons

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thomas has potential but things that Juan says he would not be good at he can get to A he is a slow learner.

CLERKS
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, it takes a really long time to get Thomas to level up, but once you get him there, I think he can get about three A+, with the rest being A and maybe one B+. He is really useful if you have him equipped right, but you do have to worry about having low HP, and I think he can only have two Runeslots, which isn't exceptional. I think it took me all the way to lv. 60 to max everything out for him.

Do it if your hardcore, but if not, just use someone cool like Joker or Rody. They can both be really good at nice levels.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thomas is definately worth leveling up. I'm currently trying to level up every character in Suikoden III. I've already done Thomas. I usually go around and fight the treasure box monsters for good Skill Points. I think it took me two or three cycles through all six mini bosses to get all his stats up. He's pretty good even though he levels up slow. Same with Cecile.

But if you really want a good character, level up Juan all the way. He can get up to 5-6 attacks turnly with great critical hit chances. All you have to do is give him a yellow scarf to get rid of the effect of that waking rune and he'll be an excellent character.
Zeik Tuvai

Aura of the Wolf

12319 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thomas and Juan are two of the funnest characters to use in battle. Though, not my personal favs, they are not to be under estimated in anyway. Very worth leveling up! :D
Cowardice cannot survive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thomas is one of those people who get misleading quotes from teachers. You have to look at the skill point cost and not the comment. Ace and Piccolo for example are also victims of misleading quotes. Ace's Holy Dash only goes up to a B+ I think, but a teacher will give him the same comment as someone who can get to S. Piccolo can get up to an A+ In both Lightning and Pale Gate, but based on the comments, he should only go up to a C or B. Keep in mind I haven't played III in a long time, so I might be wrong about the what levels the comments alludfe to, but I do know that they both have those discrpancies. Thomas, again if I remember correcltly, also has to deal with wrong comments.

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is two things statistically that Thomas is strong in: Skill and Luck. This therefore means that Thomas is good at dealing Critical Strikes. Strength, Magic and other important stats are below average, but Just give him a Killer Rune, and he'll keep on doing 2X damage about 90% of the time. He was able to do 200+ damage to those Golems in the Ceremonial Site, and they have PDEF of about 250. So if you were to focus on any skill, i suggest that you build up on Heavy Damage.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

thomas also gets an A in wind magic; S if you have a wind magic ring *i think-there's some piece of equipment that allows this to happen.* he can also use a hazy rune, which can help him avoid hits-another helpful item.

he's pretty good; downside requires patience and much levelling up, but i found him to be worth the time.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mayhap I might clear something up here

The teacher's comment is based on the amount of Skill points needed for each level

[EXAMPLE]

Swing:
*Comment-Incredible!!
*# of SP needed to get from rank D to C - 40
*Max Rank - B

[/Example]

I hope I was able to clear up some confusion here...

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, if a character takes a long time to level up, that generally means they are worth leveling up. They can be like Leo and have few skills, but multiple rank S skills, or just an abundance of mediocre skills or maybe somewhere in between. I can think of uses for almost every character in the game (even if it's just to have a hunter rune equipped). Thomas IS a good character, but he's not one of the ones you'd want to always have in a party.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While we all say that Thomas is a good character, how many of you have used him in the final boss battle? Even though i like him, i sincerely don't think about using him in battle. It's scary... :(

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

sybillious wrote:
thomas also gets an A in wind magic; S if you have a wind magic ring *i think-there's some piece of equipment that allows this to happen.* he can also use a hazy rune, which can help him avoid hits-another helpful item.

he's pretty good; downside requires patience and much levelling up, but i found him to be worth the time.

But, but syb... Thomas' MAG stat is CRAP! There are better Wind magic users out there, like Yuiri and everyone's favorite Luc. :wink:

I think Thomas' shining points is his great availability of skill slots. He has seven free skill slots, the most out of all fighting characters of the game. This also means he has a spare slot for putting in Magic Resistance, which I think is a good asset, as it offsets his pretty low MDEF.

And I guess it wouldn't be a harm for me to mention the skills Thomas has an A+ on, namely: Parry, Accuracy, Repel and Wind Magic. Wind Magic's pretty much useless since he's got the same level of MAG stat as Chris Lightfellow and Emily. :? But I guess if one wants his title to be StormMgcn or something cool like that, then go for it. He's got lots of skill slots to accomodate such a worthless skill anyway. :P Also, if you have the patience though, you can raise his MAG stat using the stat stone trick, to make efficient use of that high rating in Wind Magic.

He's got a B+ in Swing... it would have been better if he got a higher SPD stat so that he could get three swings like Elaine, Lilly and Percival. He would have rocked harder. :(
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

not really; he's pretty fast, usually casting first or second in a round. i never found luc to be that impressive in any game, so i didn't use him, with the exception of sIII, where i had no choice but to use his whiny ass. if i had to choose between him and his brother, i'd take sasarai over lucwhiner any day.

i don't use thomas nearly as much as other characters, but when i do, i have pretty good luck with him.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Right Highwind. You have pretty god points.

Thomas is a good character, but he's not by any means in the top ten best characters. If you want really good characters, look at Chris, Geddoe, Hugo, Juan, Yuiri, Yumi, Salome (if level 99), Jaques, Nash, Watari, Ayame, Twaikin, Nei, Hallec, Aila, and Elaine.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He's not asking for who you think are the best characters (and half of those characters should not be in there), he just wants to know if Thomas is good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: