Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden--another Final Fantasy?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Suikoden--another Final Fantasy? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ever since Suikoden III was released, we knew that Suikoden would be a rather large series. The world of Suikoden is rich with history and development. However, the fanbase always figured that the series would end once all 27 True Runes were revealed. The question is, is this true?

I believe that this series will be like Final Fantasy, but with a few more connections. As we all know, the game has a history and timeline detailed and complex enough to be real. There is a lot of history still to be revealed, and many stories mentioned that require further elaboration. So, would we really be able to fit this entire world into only 10 or so games? We're already seeing an entire game based off of one characters mentioned story (Georg Prime and Suikoden V) from an earlier Suikoden, and I doubt this will be the last time we see such a development.

Also, look at each Suikoden's plot and dialogue. In every single game, the True Rune featured was already known to exist, and everyone acted as if they knew what the 27 True Runes were. In fact, the only people the runes are being "revealed" to are us fans. So, it would be simple to base 2 games (even more) off of one True Rune. For example, a Suikoden based around the True Fire Rune featuring the original Flame Champion and Fire Bringer.

The series doesn't have to end just because all the True Runes are revealed. Their appearance isn't what drives the stories, only the runes and events themselves. Therefore, as long as Konami or some other developer is willing to write and create the games, Suikoden could be as eternal as the long-running Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy series!

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hope not. I'd like Suikoden to stay as one story, with a definite end. This story is too rich to fragment and separate like Final Fantasy.

In fact, the only reason Final Fantasy has managed to crank out good games for so long is that each game is a new experience. A finite story cannot be held in an infinite series. When the story is over, nothing is left.

Just think of what would happen in an infinite Suikoden series. Yuber and Pesmerga would never finish their conflict. We would likely never learn the truth behind Jeane or Viki.

In my opinion, the story must end when all True Runes are revealed because Suikoden is the story of Hikusaak's ambition. He wishes to control all the True Runes; this ambition will be either fulfilled or denied shortly after the emergence of the last Rune. When all Twenty-Seven True Runes emerge during the same time period, as will likely happen later in the series, that will be the most important event possible in the Suikoden world, and the climax of the Suikoden series.
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5684690 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with a lot of what Camus said.

I guess you could make comparisons between Final Fantasy and Suikoden on basic levels, but i think that is about as far as it goes. Final Fantasy is a new story with every installment (with the exception of FF10) and usually overhauls the system with every game. The basic elements manage to stay, but the battle system changes pretty drastically and the way types of magic are used is usually very different.

Suikoden on the other hand manages to stay pretty consistent. Although Suikoden 3 changed the range of magic, rune magic has stayed almost exactly the same with the exception of the power and names of certain spells. Also if you look at the games, again with the exception of suikoden 4, we have had 6 member parties and basically the same style of battle.
The castle/ship system has stayed consistent in the four games as have the 108 stars of destiny. The same cannot be said for final fantasy.

I am as big of a suikoden fan as any other gamer, but i think the series is heading for a dramatic conclusion and that is how I think it should go. Once all the continents have been explored and all 27 true runes revealed there will be an end. I don't want to re-use true runes and after all 27 are revealed that is what will have to happen. I think one of the elements that keeps the suikoden series so sucessful is the fact that we are in control of at least one new true rune in every game. I look forward to the new rune and i think a lot of other people do to.

I also want the whole Pesmerga and Yuber conflict to be solved and as Camus said, that can only be done once the series is finished. I don't think the creators will string that out too far.

Suikoden is a great series, but it will have an end and will never be like Final Fantasy in that aspect.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was not referring to the "separated stories" part of FF. Only the "infinite series." Or at least, not stopping once all 27 True Runes have been revealed to us. I would never want Suikoden to be like FF with the unrelated plots!

Aura of the Wolf

12319 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This needs to be a stroy with a definate end, not the money milking FF has become. Their sacrificing quality for faster release dates. And FFXI... That's just sad.
Cowardice cannot survive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mad Mage

0 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden does not need an end. As long as the games are fun I say keep pumping them out! Why stop making wonderful games? it's not like the timeline won't permit it.

But if the games continue to be as lackluster as S4, then I can see justifying an end to the series.

From the looks of things, Konami isn't planning on quitting any time soon.
fc_conn

Campione della Fiamma

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's the difference:

Final Fantasy games are all self-contained. When Cecil and co. do thier thang in FFIV, it's over [sadly...I love that game.] There is no relation or continuation from one FF game to the next, other than FFX-2 and the recurring things like chocobos and Nobuo. :D Of course, I haven't played an FF game since FF7, so yeah, but it's still true.

Suikoden is more like the AWESOME Langrisser games. See, when Langrisser V came out, it's subtitle was 'The End of Legend.' Like Suikoden, Langrisser had a continuing plot which had a lot of history, and had returning characters. In fact, Langrisser IV and V overlap for a bit! They are closely intertwined, and though not as deep as Suikoden, they have history and cultures to take care of.

At the end of Langrisser V, things happen for a reason, and the series ended. Over. Done. Forever. Yeah, it's sad, but in some ways it's better, because the story was told, and Langrisser will be forever known as being just the right length.

Since Suikodens all are part of the same world in the same era, with actual people and families and cultures and issues, it's important that it doesn't just go on forever. We want to know what happens! Though I agree and see your point about how they techinally could go on forever, I think it would be appropriate and tactful to see a grand finale and conclusion. Whether that is at Suikoden VI or Suikoden XXX1002 Infinity Add-on Expansion Turbo Online Pack, that's up to Konami.

Yeah, it's sad to think that Suiko might end one day, but a) it won't be soon b) it'll be worth it. Besides, maybe then Konami would remake the series, giving all of them fully orchestrated soundtrack remakes performed by the London Phil.

Hey, they did it with Dragon Quest!

By the way, do everything you can in your power to play Langrisser IV and V. They are some the BEST tactical games ever made. The art is amazing, the music is beyond words, and you even get to pick the girl that you end up with! :) They're both on Playstation and Saturn. GET.
Zeik Tuvai

Aura of the Wolf

12319 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Agreed. Anyways, they can always remake the Suikodens to look and play better, or just give us... say... SuikoGaiden, already. I think Suikoden I and II, thought not as of right now, will eventually make their US handheld system.

Side stories to the Suikodens, like Rhapsodia, could also be a great way to do things. I just don't want such a fine series to end up the way Final Fantasy is starting to. I enjoy replaying though the games, and having Riou run head first into the end of Flik's sword... I like watching Riou get shaken like a british nanny by Nanami. I REALLY like it when their on the gallows... Anyway, I think I've made my point... :twisted:
Cowardice cannot survive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ewww... why did you compare it with Final Fantasy... Oh well, in terms of length wise, of course i hope it should be like "final fantasy", but let THAT be the ONLY thing it is similar to FF, and nothing else...
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And length is the only way I was comparing them. Perhaps it wasn't the best comparison, but I figured the title would anger people enough to read my post :D.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Final Fantasy is a good series, it just fell behind when they made part 10.

Now on to suikoden, I believe, that suikoden will end, but not because of 27 true runes being revealed, by the looks of things, it will end when they reveal all that there is about the game, Yuber, Ted, Viki, those questions about them will be revieled as they make sequels, what I really want to learn though, is the origin of the true runes, I know they revealed some of the history behind them, but I want to know the true origin, and just what Leknaat has to do with the stars of destiny, why is she the one to guide the hero of almost every suikoden, in 3 she stayed outta the second fire bringer war, because, she does.

*SPOILER*

Not want to help kill Luc.

*END SPOILER*

I just want to know more about her, and Luc.
Dooz

Buttered-up Old Men

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hope that Suikoden doesn't become like the Final Fantasy series. As much as I love Suikoden, I think they should wrap up the story soon. If they keep it up for too long, I don't know if I'll still be interested by the time they decide to show the "final chapter".

Another problem about the Final Fantasy series is the fact that I haven't liked one game since 7 :P. It just seems like they are only making games to appease one demographic.

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally I think Final Fantasy is the model all rpgs should look at gameplay wise and legnth (clock time) wise. While I do not herald FF as the king of rpgs, it's pretty close because it deserves it, through varied games, plots, and charcters that evolve as the series grows, unlike any rpg series out there. To deny this seems pretty foolish to me, as if you're hating Final Fantasy just because it's popular.

Each FF, while keeping tradition, manages to make each new FF have a different feel. FFVI does not feel like the game you played before it: FFV. FFV feels and plays nothing like FFIV except the usual 'attack, magic, summon, item;etc.' menu and atb. FFVII is nothing like FFVIII (my favorite FF), FFVIII is completely different gameplay wise compared to the rest of the series. Same with FFIX, and X (my second favorite FF). All rpgs, especially story based, interconnected games like Suikoden and Xenosaga. These types of games are games that NEED to have new games released regularly because they're story based - people wouldn't be excited if the last one was released 3-4 years ago, that's just dumb. Suikoden isn't a well known title, releasing a new game every other year is good to keep it fresh in people's heads. See Final Fantasy VIII-X and why that series is so sucessful. That same very reason. Story based, interconnected games should use these conventions as to not waste away the series and make them eventually fall in a "same old, same old" slump. Some fans may want another basic and simplistic "hey I'm pressing auto battle every single battle!" battle system with little if any depth or difficulty, as seen in Suikoden I, II, and IV, but I want more than that in my Suikoden games. Also take notice that Final Fantasy's have the perfect rpg gamelength. They're great for rpgs, they're not too long (like say Xenogears), but they're not ridiculously short either. They're right in the middle, yet somehow when you replay you're so used to the games that you can speed through them half the time it originally took you. They can be as long or as short as you make them because it depends on what you do. Suikoden III was going in the right direction on all of these accounts (gameplay advancement and evolution as well as clock time), but the complaints against courtesy of "I'm afraid of change!" fans led to the step back, which is what we call Suikoden IV.

Suikoden is not another Final Fantasy, as of now.
PirateSigurd

Knights

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Suikoden is almost right up there with Final Fantasy, compeling story wise and all, but Final Fantasy has been around for along time, I dont like the idea of them going back to the mages,knights and such should have stuck with the futuristic/modern of FFVII and FFVIII.

"The Blood of the sea flows through my veins, I return to it now to be reborn" Troy
Mukumuku

The Flying Squirrel Batallion of Tinto

10000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One of the main reason why I love suikoden so much is because it is not Final Fantasy. I have hated final fantasy and will countinue to hate it until they take me away to the old peoples place. To say that suikoden will become the next Final Fantasy is riduclous because first off, suikoden is an underground game(and am okay with that) and second the suikoden serious isn't lame(can you tell I hate final fantasy?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: