Suikoden Uncouth and Illegal Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

"Super Mages" Nerfed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: "Super Mages" Nerfed Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just implemented code to nerf the "Super Mages"-- people with one extremely long posts made a long time ago, which resulted in ungodly mag stats. The change in code makes them less powerful in duels. Their stats will still look super-powerful in other places, but the main purpose was the nerf them for duel purposes because when people with such posting habits (or no habit at all) gaining such power, it will dedtract from average member's impetus to post.

However, for phase 6, I decided to honor the ingenuity of those wo discovered this flaw in my formula and let them use their strategy as it is.

However, these "super mages" are still not completely useless. They are still pretty good at leading soldiers among other things, so they can be viewed as people who are very knowledgable, but are not very good at fighting at a personal level.
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, you'll let Yuber 7 and Gremio have their 118/96+ Leadership scores? Lucky Nameless Highlanders indeed!
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

High leadership would mean high Regiment ATK and DEF, right? If they're only "nerfed" on duel, they're still bloody strong for battles though. It's still a scary thought to see them having higher leadership compared to the owner of the site himself. But yeah, it's up to you, I guess.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As much as this is an anomaly, those two accounts are still legitimate because they are not duplicate accounts or anything. They simply belong to someone who decided to register at this board, post one long post, and leave. They didn't do anything wrong per se, so it would also wrong to penalize them too much.
However, I may lower their war stats as well, because with the current way things are, it is quite high.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Would these Super Mages become more useful in duels with more victory counts, just as inactive members' stats increase with duels, would their already high stats become more effective?

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It will, but even victory counts will not make these accounts much stronger for duel purposes.

Last edited by Vextor on Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's what I meant by stats. Didn't word it very well though lol

Nevermind, you've edited it anyway ^_^

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars Ad-Minh wrote:
As much as this is an anomaly, those two accounts are still legitimate because they are not duplicate accounts or anything. They simply belong to someone who decided to register at this board, post one long post, and leave. They didn't do anything wrong per se, so it would also wrong to penalize them too much.

True that. That's why I feel a bit bad as well for them. But at the same time, I can't help but think it's still way over the top. While yes they didn't do anything wrong, it still promotes the idea for them to stay that way to keep up their high stats, which they now know won't suffer anything as long as they're not posting.

Yuber7's away day is 24, while Gremio's is 16 days. I'm not sure myself how "active" they actually are, but that means that at least they've logged in and check things out in the past month. It does feel weird to me that after more than a year being here, and being here in the past month, they still have yet to post again.

That's what I'm afraid the most of, them not posting because they don't want to ruin their stats. Instead of being active when they logged back in, I personally think that they might prefer to stay quiet just to keep up their godly stats. And their stats would keep on going up without them doing anything because (I'm guessing that) MAG isn't affected by post count at all.

I still think that a stat cap based on level would be the preferable solution because level would be harder to gain. It would actually need the member to be active to achieve higher level. Both super mages are level 7, it doesn't really make much sense for them to have high stats (MAG which leads to their high Leadership value due to their Magicians regiment type).

So while they didn't actually do anything wrong per se, they didn't actually "deserve/earn" the high stats either. The only reason why they have high stats is because of a loophole in the calculation/formula. That's why I think the formula is the one that needs to be corrected, and stat cap based on level would indeed be the fairest way for all IMO.

In a sense, yes I agree that they can be viewed as people who are very knowledgable but not good at fighting at personal level. Or they could be kind of like strategists ala the Silverbergs, Apple, Shu, etc. But at the same time, I feel that strategists won't be hired if they haven't shown to the possible employers of what they can do. So in a sense, they can also be seen as they haven't got enough "fame" yet to gain work in the military because no one (but 1 or 2 soldiers among the thousands in the military) knew their existance.

Then again, it's really up to you, SARSadmin. If you feel that the modification at the moment is enough, then I'm not going to pursue the case anymore. But would it be possible for the info to be posted publicly? I mean, yes now we know that they are "nerfed" on duel (which we can publicly try on to see the stat difference between the one on the forum stat compared to the duel stats now), but how "nerfed" are they when it comes to battles?

And thanks for looking after this case as well.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's only duels they're nerfed for. I don't think they suffer any limitations when it comes to regular battles. Yet.

As for Yuber 7 logging in - that was me logging in 24 days ago. I've PM'd him many times previously and got no repsonse.

I don't think the stat cap will need to brought into effect as, if you check the duel system now, Yuber 7 is no where near as effective as he once was. So his high stats don't give a benefit in dueling anyway.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know that he's already nerfed on duel (and I've checked it out). I'm saying that if his stats aren't capped, then his leadership still skyrockets to very high since you turned his unit to Magicians (I think he was Infantry before?). That way, it's still unbalanced because a level 7 unit should not have that kind of stats to begin with.

I don't mind him having good stats like that, but as I mentioned before, while he has done nothing wrong, he hasn't exactly earned those stats either. He got the godly stats simply because of a loophole in the formula, and personally, it's not really fair for those who tried to earn the stats by being active, yet much weaker than someone who posted very long once a year ago.

All in all, I just think that stat caps would lead to a much fairer system.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with what you say Black Pesmerga. I will think of an appropriate cap. The change I installed last night was a quick fix. I will unfortunately be pretty busy for a few days for other things, but I will surely announce whatever changes I decide to make. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: