Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Wild ARMs 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't played it yet, has anybody?

I honestly never played through ANY Wild Arms game. Its the series of RPGs that I somehow missed. I own the Wild Arms 2 demo disc and I played it through like 3 days ago and playing as Ashley, the magic chick and the fallen hero dude, I have to say that Wild Arms 2 didn't seem THAT bad and I'd like to pick up 1-3 before I go ahead and play Alter Code F.

Can someone tell me if the series is like Final Fantasy where each game has nothing to do with any other or is it like Suikoden where they all take place in the same world at various points in its history. Or is it like Star Ocean where they do interact minimally but they're not directly linked really.

Also that Demo din't explain the battle system too well because I played a little Demo of Wild Arms 3 when it came out at Wal-Mart and that seemed a lot more wild west themed than the demo of the second that I played. Someone told me somewhere that Wild Arms was kinda like a wild west RPG but not. I haven't seen a whole lot of Wild West.

I'm interested in Wild Arms, but I won't invest time and money if the general consencus is that the series is subpar and not worth my time and effort. Of course your first reply will be "Well Red, it depends on what games you like " and I will say I like RPGs with decent storyline and characters. Graphics come near last but as long as it has a fun story and characters and there isn't any really annoying problems (like Legend of Legaia and the uber long battles and high random battle rate) I'd probably like it.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The battle system looks ridiculously fun.

I really want to get it now but I have no more game money as of now...but at the same time XSEED is a relatively new company, so their production shipment of WA4 is going to be very very small.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I passed on Alter Code F due to DQ8 so am definitely ready to jump into this one. Going to get this tomorrow.

Anyone who has already played it care to share a cursory review? I put much more stock in what my fellow suikox members say about RPGs than any review site like IGN, gamespot or RPG gamer...

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

erm is alter code f the remake of 1? also any idea if this or 4 are going to be/are released in the PAL regions?
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alter Code: F is *kinda* a remake. Really, it's a new telling of the story. There are different dungeons and such, and extra characters join you (Emma the scientist, Jane the sun-lady, and Jane's servant). There are plenty of things that weren't in the original, and supposedly all the puzzles are different.

But I must point something out.

According to everyone I know that has played the game, it has one of the worst modern-day translations of any video game out there. There are typos everywhere, names are translated differently than they were in WA1, there are dialogue boxes where the text runs off-screen, and there are even places where dialogue is repeated twice in a row. And apparently the king of Adelhyde was named Justin...the same name as the translator.

I don't get why the translation came out so bad. They had TWO YEARS to work on translating this thing.

^Actual quote!
Spell Breaker

The Long Patrol

162411 Potch
122 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Um, so has anyone played it? Or does everyone have it in their "to buy when the price drops list" like I do?
bbsting120

8553 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I heard some somewhat negative stuff about WA4 after it came out, but being a diehard fan of the series I went ahead and got it. I LOVEd it. Sure, it's a lot different from any other wild arms game. It's a rpg/platformer hybrid...I mean c'mon, how cool is that? At times I did miss the traditional puzzle system (having an arsenal of tools and able to plop down bombs like a crazy man) but I ended up having a lot of fun with the game. The story might not be anything new, but the way it's told and the characters made it my favorite story outside of the original. I even enjoyed the manga style cutscenes. If I compared it too closely to other game sin the series I might be very let down, but just taking it for what it is--I think wa4 is a definate play. It's short, but a lot of fun while you're playing. I blew through it in less than a week while I still have WA:AC sitting here, not even half finished. I have to agree with whoever said they did a craptastic translation..I mean c'mon, WA4 was localized by XSEED in less than a year and it took agetec (or whoever) a couple years....and the WA4 translation is still worlds better.
Takemura

Darkside of the Moon

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't like it.. The way you talk.. The battles.. I don't know. Its. Just not my Bottle of beer ;)

Maybe i'm To busy thinkign about Shadow hearts, kingdom hearts and suikoden.

Kuzunoha

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Now that i have played WA4 thoroughly (or at least enough to make me stop playing) i have to say Wild Arms 4 is the weakest of the Wild Arms series. In my eyes its worse than Wild Arms 2. Id actually play Wild Arms 2 in a heartbeat. I bought the game for Arnaud and Jude and that was it. The story seems so...bleh. The characters have the personality of a cardboard box and -do- go out of character. The world map...there is no world map (its liek Suikoden 3 World map) or searching. In dungeons its pretty straightforward with no real exploration---and theres only one character through the whole game allowed on screen with the same moves.

The battle system is something of a good thing and a bad thing. Its a huge change, a welcoming one, but i just cant help but miss the turn base simplistic line that been in every WA. Overall id give it a 6/10. Its so...uninteresting and...boring. I hate to say it but it is so boring i may never pick up from where i left off. Of course compared to some RPG's that have come out its pretty good but it lacks everything that make Wild Arms an excellent game. I reccomend getting Wild Arms Alter Code F above this, trust me, its way funner. And while it may have typos and what not i thoroughly enjoyed it as a remake.

I'll make a proper review for it someday. But man...it was everything but what i thought it was going to be. If you're looking to buy this, wait for it to go cheap. But hey, thats my opinion. Its like Grandia 3 in how i expected it to be great and instead it bombed.
Stampede

The One-Eyed Jacks

30154 Potch
11 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would have to very strongly disagree with that assessment. I really, really liked Wild Arms 4. I'm not a big advocate of dungeon exploration as a cornerstone of RPGs (I consider Valkyrie Profile one of the worst games I've ever played for doing away with towns, among other things) but I do enjoy puzzles in my games, and I like a little platforming to break up the monotony of dungeon running. WA4 gives me all those things.

The thing that really sticks out to me in particular, though? How the plot elements are reflected in the characters' battle performance. Jude is naturally faster than everyone else, just as he is in the actual plot, thanks to various genetic markers I'm not mentioning. Raquel is very hard to kill with physicals, but has relatively low HP that she makes up for by being good at evasion and blocking. Powerful enemies aren't powerful because they have a ton of HP and you have to slug it out, it's because they have a very potent skill that's reflected in battle, like Belial, who creates spatial distortions to absorb your abilities, or Lambda, who can see the future of everything in his field of vision. You don't just buff Jude's speed and attack and have him spam assault buster until the boss goes down like you do in most RPGs. You figure out ways around this, by manipulating turn order or battle positions. You use each character's strengths to cover the weaknesses of your other group members.

And to say the characters are two-dimensional... if you talk about the Brionac lieutenants, who don't get exposition because their super-secret origins and source of their power simply doesn't matter as long as they have it, then yes. And maybe Yulie, but that's because I hate Yulie and everyone like her. But the rest of the core cast are all quite nuanced. you just have to think about what they do and why they do it. This isn't Final Fantasy VII, the characters don't flap their gums over and over about what they do and why they do it, for the most part. Hauser doesn't tell anything to anyone, and so what he does for the most part won't make sense unless you pay attention to the details, for example.

And how you can argue that the WA turn-based system was a good thing... you recall that example I made about the slugfest? In WA:ACF, every single "difficult" boss fight can be beaten by simply casting Great Booster on Jack and using Accelerated Laser Silhouette, then healing occasionally. There's no thought involved in battle. If you could write macros, I could play through every fight in ACF without interacting with the game.

The game isn't shy about killing people. It bumps off very important characters without batting an eye. There's not a lot of stupid melodrama about laying around and gasping out dying words and that. It happens quickly and without a lot of stupid leadup of standing around and then dramatic swells of music. It just happens. There is exactly ONE "dramatic buildup death scene" in the course of the game, which is probably one too many, but I will forgive it, as it was near the end and arguably one of the most important characters in the plot.

I think my favorite thing, though, is that the story is told with good, rapid pacing, only ONE fetch quest, and a lot of brevity. Plus, plot details and analysis of the setting points out that Wild Arms 4 is a pre-Western, and that Filgaia!Four is the kind of setting that you would have had if you'd set a game, say, ten to twenty years after the war with the Metal Demons in WA1.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Live darn you live!

A quick question to any PAL regions people who own this game...

Does yours freeze at exactly the same point every time? Mine does. I am in an area that looks like the great wall of China and on the screen with the White breakorb thing and the tutorial for merchants that are out of towns i try to go up the ladder and the game just stops on the black loading screen.

At first i thought that it was my game, so i took i back and had it exchanged for another copy, but it is happening in this copy to, which is very annoy since i really like the game so far :(

So has this happened to anyone else?
Darkbeat

Location: The school of making funny locations for my forum profile
102756 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This happens to ALL PAL copies of the game, and it only happens once in the game at that part. Save close to that particular exit and switch off the game, restart it again in NTSC mode. You will be able to proceed though it be black and white, but the next save point you get to (World Map) you can just save and reload back in PAL mode as normal.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*Hugs Darkbeat*

Thank you thank you thank you!!

You have just made me a very happy Wild Arms player, it sucks that they didn't test this out before they shipped it, but i will let it slide this once since the distributor is new to the PAL region and did bring over Wild Arms in the first place, i just hope they release Altered code F here too since my copy of Wild Arms one doesn't work very well any more.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I played the first installment of Wild Arms and thought it was one of the best RPGs I'd ever played, my only real niggle being the annoyingly bad graphics in battle scenes where characters use pieces of blue which create pieces of yellow upon contact with an enemy. Looking at the website, it just appears to me to be one of those stereotypical young boy and girl save the world thing. The main character (accodring to the website being 13), I don't think I'll be purchasing it unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Darkbeat

Location: The school of making funny locations for my forum profile
102756 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wes wrote:
I played the first installment of Wild Arms and thought it was one of the best RPGs I'd ever played, my only real niggle being the annoyingly bad graphics in battle scenes where characters use pieces of blue which create pieces of yellow upon contact with an enemy. Looking at the website, it just appears to me to be one of those stereotypical young boy and girl save the world thing. The main character (accodring to the website being 13), I don't think I'll be purchasing it unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Well, I had prior to 4 played Wild ARMs 1-3, and I can honestly say that 4 has been my favorite so far. Like you I valued 1 and thought it was a terrific classic game, but by 3 I started to feel that the series was losing its lustre.

I took a chance on 4 and I'm glad I did, the stereotypical "young boy and young girl save the world" isn't particularly present, the game USES the fact that the protagonist is a child to its advantage to portray the weaknesses that come with that. The battles are just plain fun, a good OST, some terrific graphics and best of all the character to development is among the best I've seen.

I don't think I can personally persuade you to buy it, but if you love good RPGs, then you are missing out on a gem if you don't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: