Suikoden Unique and Inspirational Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

More news on the Nintendo Revolution
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think about the Revolution's new controller?
Love it
24%
 24%  [ 6 ]
Like it, but still a little wary
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
So-so
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Not good
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Hate it
36%
 36%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 25

Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What the heck is that!!! It looks like a . . . you know what, I'm not even going to finish that sentence. :lol:

If I buy that system, I'm going to look really funky doing smash attacks, juggles, rapid button mashing, and every necessary command in Nintendo's games. I can't even imagine myself comfortable enough to play a Zelda game with remote control.

I used Playstation 2's remote to play a few games for an extra challenge, but now, that's actually standard? I don't like it at all. I'm hoping that Mad CatZ or one of the other third party publishers make a different controller for the system. That's about the only way I'll get a Revolution now. And I thought that it wouldn't get much worse than the bulky X-Box controller. We have a new champ, it seems.

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, it may be very well possible that Gamecube controllers are going to be compatable with Revolution games also. At this point, we just don't know.

Ion-lithium battery packs have a very long lifespan, both in charge and also in overall lifespan (ala when you finally have to replace it.), so I don't really see what the problem is. And if it eventually comes down to recharging the battery during play, I don't mind being tethered to a powerstrip. :3

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Zero

Blood Knights

3523 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mmmm, I don't like the controller design honestly. I'm probably going to stick with the boomertroller for the PS3 this year. Not only is it going to have better titles and probably less buggy online play, but it's also the most powerful system on the market. You can't argue with facts, and in the end I just see the PS3 being the best deal out there.

I do know a good deal of people who are going to get the Rev though. It'll probably be like the cube where everyone gets it as a second system, something else to play other than their primary system because it's cheap and it's from Nintendo so it's going to be at least a little quality. They just wont be able to get back into the sytem world like they think they will, they waited too long to try to catch up and now everyone else who'd just started when they owned the consoles has just as good of a reputation or better. It will be interesting to see which of the three systems does the best though, I'm going to stick with my choice in the end. Sony owns the market this year, says Zero the analitic consumer.

Julious Cezar
MrMan

Secret Agent Men

180000 Potch
0 Soldiers
341000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the controller design looks wierd... I dont like it. I prefer the regular type controllers, and this is... different. it looks wrong, especially if it has vibration. I would feel dirty just holding it :shock:
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's an excellent idea. I'll reserve judgement till I tried it but thus far I'm VERY optomistic about the potential.
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Depends on how smooth the movement of the controller interacts with the gameplay. If it's smooth, then it'll be a revolution in the way games are made. If it's jerky, it'll be the end of Nintendo.
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It will not be the "end" of Nintendo, as far as a company is concerned if the Revolution flops. It may (doubtful) take them out of the console race, but they will always dominate the handheld market. They've done it for about the past 20-odd years, and I've never even considered the handheld market without Nintendo.

As a side note, I find it interesting when there are people who don't know a thing about the way companies are run always try to immitate Nostradamus (who's predictions were mostly false), and say that if product X isn't recieved well, the company is finished. This isn't a personal attack towards anybody, and I'm not trying to be condesending, but if you don't know much about either businesses (and I don't), or the business in question (not enough), don't try to pass off your opinion as truth.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Vince Muerto

The Cool Guy Regiment

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is just Nintendo pulling the same tricks they've been using since the N64 days. They make something that forces you to buy extra stuff just to play certain games. N64 had the Expansion Pack (without it playing Perfect Dark was pointless), GBA had the GBA SP (Playing GBA anywhere other than right under a lamp made it impossible to see anything on the screen), and Gamecube had the GBA controller thing (couldn't play a number of games without it). Now the Revolution is going to have 18,000 attachments that people will have to buy just to play any games.

On the controller itself, it seems like it will be hard to play a lot of games with it. Especially considering it's supposed to be backwards compatible with GC. It'll probably be pretty hard to play many GC games with the Revolution controller the way it is (it doesn't even have enough buttons to play most GC games). Also, holding a controller that is made of two separate pieces might be pretty weird to do. On the other hand, if the pointer funtion is done well, and supported by games that take advantage of its functionality, it could turn out to be pretty fun to use.

I'm remaining hopeful. Nintendo is good at taking things that look pretty weird and making them work.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Um...you can use the GC controller on the revolution. Also there's a standard "traditional" controller for the revolution which you can play with. So if developers want, they can have you play with the rev controller or the traditional controller.
Vince Muerto

The Cool Guy Regiment

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

^Like I said. Just more stuff I have to buy to play the games I want to play.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I gotta admit I thought this was a joke at first, I mean it's a fricken tv remote. I don't know about you guys but although it may be easier and I stress the word may, I still think having a playstation control or an old sega master system control would make you feel more connected to the game then a laser pointer.

It's not like I want to see nintendo fail, well it is but that's what they get for all the crap they produced post super nintendo. I like lots of different games, RPGs mainly but also shooters, action games, strategy games and some sport games - Nintendo consoles just aren't worth buying because of that:

RPGs - Playstation: no contest there
Strategy - Computer: once again no contest
Shooters - Computer and Playstation
Action (ie Dynasty Warriors) - Playstation

There's just no reason for an experienced gamer to buy any recent nintendo console except for if they like Metroid or Zelda and they reached their peak on the SNES. I wouldn't consider anything nintendo have done as revoloutionary and I can't see this control changing that.
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Way to Raze a good one, Raze (oh, it looks like I just raised a good one there, ha-ha-ha!)

I've been trying to keep up with news on the Revolution, which is hard (why doesn't IGN have a Revolution Page, but pages for both X360 and PS3?). I saw the concept of the system, and it looks alot better than the GameCube. This controller is very intriguing, and a pretty bold move for Nintendo. I like several things about it, First:

~ The Power Button. That's wicked and yet another thing that will make our lives a little bit easier. I'm not sure whether the PS3 and X360 controllers will have power buttons, but it'll be one of those things that will make you wonder how you lived without it, if it is exclusive.

~ The one-handedness. Like the clunky X-Box controllers, people with smaller hands (children, petite women, carnies) might have trouble, until an even smaller version comes out. Gaming shouldn't have to be a two-handed activity, and this should once and for all put an end to Greasy Controller Syndrome, and 'I lost because I had to grab my beer'. I can't really comment on the size of it, since in that picture of the four being held, the hands of the people holding them look pretty big, but if it is small, that will be even better, but they need to have a 'page' button on it in case you lose it.

~ The arm-moving. Analog sticks wear out eventually, and those that don't are so hard and unforgiving that they give you callouses. You want to move your guy, but have to mess with your fingers, and Nintendo cuts out the middle man by just making you have to use your arm. It should make games a bit more challenging, which I think they could benefit from, and it might even help keep people slightly active, moving your arm in many different directions, sustained for many hours (as it likely will be), would have about the same positive effect for the heart as a 20 minute jog.

So that's what I think of the Revolution's controller. It's a pretty cool little gadget, and I have a feeling that it might seperate Nintendo from Sony and Microsoft, which I've heard is what they want to do, and more power to them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: