Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Kriegspiel Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

More news on the Nintendo Revolution
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think about the Revolution's new controller?
Love it
24%
 24%  [ 6 ]
Like it, but still a little wary
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
So-so
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Not good
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Hate it
36%
 36%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 25

Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: More news on the Nintendo Revolution Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782
http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651224p1.html

I'm actually amazed that nobody on the forum has said anything about it yet. The information's been up for almost 2 days now, and not a peep has been heard from this side 'o the pond.

'Nother image here

So, voice your opinion on this. Do you think the Revolution's controller is a good or a bad idea? Personally, I am quite pleased with it myself. With the ingenuity of the motion capturing and interesting ways that it can be utilized really does change the way that games can be played. Lots of people on the internet are already complaining about it, but I think that this is really going to work out. And if it does work, you can bet your sweet bippy that Sony and Microsoft is going to jump on the bandwagon mighty quick.

I agree with Nintendo's philosphy. "In any industry, the one that inovates the least dies first."

[/twocents]

[EDIT:]Oh yeah, if you vote, please put your reasoning behind the vote.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What the BUCK?
Sure, revolutionary, original, but surely, wouldn't it be uncomfortable playing games like that? Especially fighting games, to think of it.
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't think so. It would be just as comfortable (if not moreso) than a standard TV remote. Also, Nintendo R&D constantly heard from playtesters for a good while before they decided on this prototype. It can't really be all that uncomfortable.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It looks awkward, and I see no good reason to divide the controller into two parts. A remote is comfortable for occasional channel seeing, but I don't see it being an intiutive method of operation for any games. There's no point in innovation if it isn't a good innovation.

But we'll see. I'm going to wait until I get a chance to test it out before being*too* condemning. But i don't think it looks promising.

It won't help Nintendo dispel their cutsey image, either - such a simple layout screams "kiddie" - extremely easy to use, but very hard to destroy. Not necessarily a bad thing, but interesting strategy.

The Revolution is one system where, I think, third party controllers will florish.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Samantha Carter

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My hands feel uncomfortable just looking at that thing, lets just hope they release a controller alternative or something lol .
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1124503 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've got to say I don't like the Revolution controller. It's like, with the PS2 DVD remote, you can use it as a controller to play games, but it's not comfortable and the response seems inconsistent.

It seems like Nintendo has also forgotten about muscle memory. For generations a home console controller has generally been a peripheral which you hold with two hands and has a relatively consistent button layout. Judging from the pictures, the button layout on the Revolution controller is awkward and clumsy with it's vertical orientation.

Furthermore, the Revolution is supposed to be backwards compatible with at least the Gamecube. There's no way the Revolution controller as it is has the same functionality as the Gamecube controller. So either, like Sophita mentioned, third party controllers could retain a more conventional layout or Nintendo forces the consumer to purchase add-on after add-on just to enable backwards compatibility.

Like Sophita, I'll give it a chance before I write it off as a bad decision, but the initial information isn't promising. At least with Sony, the PS3 controller will retain the same button layout, (if it's not broken, why "fix" it?) though the "boomerang" shape of the controller could use some toning down.

It also doesn't help that the wireless craze results in the necessity of battery power, so gamers will be constantly putting money into their system buying countless batteries. I'd rather have to deal with having to physically connect a controller to the system than have to worry about dead batteries preventing me from being able to play at all.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
runemaster

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh my a next generation machine with a remote control, as a game control oh god what is nintendo thinking!

Pepe

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the splitting idea is awful, as is the actual physical movement of the hand for the 'pointer' controller to work. The description on IGN on how they will work fighting games seems pretty bad, and I can't imagine it being comfortable for the gamer. And how are you supposed to play the famed older console games (SNES/N64) that we can download with a controller that isn't even the same? If it wasn't Nintendo, I wouldn't question their logic, but does anyone else remember the 'power glove' and 'virtual boy'? they've made their fair share of mistakes, hopefully this isn't going to be one of them.

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it looks awesome, I guess that's just me. Also, witht the 'pointer' you could get DS like games.
runemaster

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess the looks are ok for next gernation gaming but it how can you use something like a tv remote to play.

Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
It won't help Nintendo dispel their cutsey image, either - such a simple layout screams "kiddie" - extremely easy to use, but very hard to destroy. Not necessarily a bad thing, but interesting strategy.

The reasoning behind the simple design is because Miyamoto believes that controllers these days have gotten far too complex, and they want to introduce new gamers into the market. Not just children, but adults too. Therefore, they designed a controller that wouldn't intimidate a new gamer, reagardless of age.

Quote:
Furthermore, the Revolution is supposed to be backwards compatible with at least the Gamecube. There's no way the Revolution controller as it is has the same functionality as the Gamecube controller.

Indeed, the Revolution is directly backwards compatable with the Gamecube. That is why there are 4 controller ports for the Gamecube on top of the machine. :wink:

Quote:
If it wasn't Nintendo, I wouldn't question their logic, but does anyone else remember the 'power glove' and 'virtual boy'? they've made their fair share of mistakes, hopefully this isn't going to be one of them.

What IGN was explaining is what they think the way that such games are played, not how they will be and please do not even try to compare it to either the Power Glove or the Virtual Boy.

The Power Glove was created almost 20 years ago, and it was built with only 1 motion sensor inside the glove. Technology has advanced so far beyond the standards of the '80s. Hell, back in the '80s, a "good" computer was a 386 (which had, you guessed it 386 kHz processing power) We can now purchase 3 gHz processors for cheaper than what the 386 cost back then.

The Virtual Boy was, in fact, an example of a deliberately half-assed attempt at inginuity. Virtual Boy was originally designed to be a home unit, full color, and the first truly VR home gaming platform. Nintendo screwed over the designer, Gunpei Yokoi (who also designed the Game and Watch, Gameboy, and created Metroid and Kid Icarus) and left him with a poorly made "portable" game unit that was nothing like what was planned.

It was also mentioned in the article that there will be periphrial controllers that can 'house' the original controller. It's also unconfirmed if the controllers will rely upon standard batteries or on something else (such as the ion-lithium rechargable battery pack found in cellphones, laptops, the GBA:SP, and in the DS) If it is the later, you can be sure they'll come with a rechargable chord, so you can still play when the batteries die.

Again, another IGN mock-up (read: thier best guess) http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/razesama/fake.jpg

I also saw this, and thought it was pretty funny. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/razesama/soninsig4jc.jpg

Also take into consideration that from most of the articles found on the web of this, the critics are firstly, unbiased. It was tested by serious game critics, who tend to be quite harsh, and it got great results. They all say that 'sure, it looks wierd, but try it first. You'll understand,' and I have faith in both the critics and Nintendo.

Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's the greatest thing to happen to video gaming ever.

Being able to actually swing my controller, and have my corrosponding little man swing his sword just... it's just so awesome I might cry. This is so futuristic, so innovative. This could change gaming.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Jossef

Beshennye Berserki

95809 Potch
200 Soldiers
23 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I could easily see this as being the Nintendo's equivalent of the Dreamcast in terms of success. However, I can't telll the future and I haven't tried it myself so I guess I'm not in any position to say that is the definite future of the Revolution.

Personally, I am not thrilled by this. I read the reviews and it does seem to have it's perks, but if I want o play a driving game, I would prefer a steering wheel with pedals. If I'm playing a shooting game, I'd prefer to have a gun in my hand than pointing a remote control. Hell, a gun with motion sensors wouldn't be half bad. Same with swinging a controller like a sword. I would rather have a sword peripheral so at least it feels like a sword and not just me waving a controller around.

Although they are saying peripherals will come with it that you can buy extra that the new controller may plug into, I'd much rather just be given a normal controller and expect to buy peripherals seperately. I flat out don't like the idea of swinging any controller around, I'd rather have a peripheral that resembles what I'm supposed to be using on screen.

So, I voted "not good".

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Raze wrote:

The reasoning behind the simple design is because Miyamoto believes that controllers these days have gotten far too complex, and they want to introduce new gamers into the market. Not just children, but adults too. Therefore, they designed a controller that wouldn't intimidate a new gamer, reagardless of age.

I think the reason that controllers are so much more complex now are because games require them to be more complex now. Imagine playing Soul Calibur or Tomb Raider or Resident Evil or even Zelda with just 2 buttons. Especially when, if you're interested in porting to other systems, other systems have (generally) at least four major buttons, with 2-6 side buttons.

And while there's something to be said about being user friendly, I think that if you're interested in playing videogames, it's best to break one's self in with a console that's...well, a console that has games on it you want to play, but, controller wise, I think you would want one that has an "average" controller, not one that has a controller different from almost anything else out there. What's the point of learning to play games if you can't play them at, say, a friend's house?

Quote:
It was also mentioned in the article that there will be periphrial controllers that can 'house' the original controller. It's also unconfirmed if the controllers will rely upon standard batteries or on something else (such as the ion-lithium rechargable battery pack found in cellphones, laptops, the GBA:SP, and in the DS) If it is the later, you can be sure they'll come with a rechargable chord, so you can still play when the batteries die.

Periphrial controllers that will cost money, and ergo, ones that no one will buy unless playing the console is so awful on the default as to require them. (And even then, i think what is more likely to happen is people won't buy the console at all - Look at the N-gage. It was unwieldly, so it didn't sell.)

The big problem with batteries is that it adds another hassle to videogaming. Batteries die, and tend to do so at the worst of moments - what if your batteries die right as you're facing the final boss? How annoying would that be? And even if they're ion-lithium rechargable, they will:

a) eventually die and warrant replacement (ion-lithium batteries don't have an unlimited amount of charges)

b) constantly have to be recharged (like a portable game system, though even those can be played on an adapter while at home.) It's a big hassle that no other competitor has to deal with. You never have to worry about batteries in any controller Sony or Microsoft is producing. While I like Wireless remotes, I also think they are best sold seperately, because not everyone is going to be OK with taking time out of their gaming to recharge their remote/controller.

Quote:
Also take into consideration that from most of the articles found on the web of this, the critics are firstly, unbiased. It was tested by serious game critics, who tend to be quite harsh, and it got great results. They all say that 'sure, it looks wierd, but try it first. You'll understand,' and I have faith in both the critics and Nintendo.

Yep, because game companies never give people ...incentives to praise otherwise awful games or peripherals.

Like I said above, I'm not going to write off the Revolution yet, but I don't think this is a smart move.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I voted that I like it, but I am still wary of it.

I wonder how it will work on fghting games. The complex buttons imputs will have to be changed drastically

But, I've always thought that Nintendo put quality and innovation above all else in games, so I don't think that this will be any different. The tests areb) constantly have to be recharged (like a portable game system, though even those can be played on an adapter while at home.) It's a big hassle that no other competitor has to deal with. You never have to worry about batteries in any controller Sony or Microsoft is producing. While I like Wireless remotes, I also think they are best sold seperately, because not everyone is going to be OK with taking time out of their gaming to recharge their remote/controller.

Quote:
The big problem with batteries is that it adds another hassle to videogaming. Batteries die, and tend to do so at the worst of moments - what if your batteries die right as you're facing the final boss? How annoying would that be? And even if they're ion-lithium rechargable, they will:

a) eventually die and warrant replacement (ion-lithium batteries don't have an unlimited amount of charges)

I don't think this will be such drastic of a problem. Nintendo has put a battery charger in almost all wireless products csince the GBA first came out, I don't see why this wouldn't have one.

Quote:
b) constantly have to be recharged (like a portable game system, though even those can be played on an adapter while at home.) It's a big hassle that no other competitor has to deal with. You never have to worry about batteries in any controller Sony or Microsoft is producing. While I like Wireless remotes, I also think they are best sold seperately, because not everyone is going to be OK with taking time out of their gaming to recharge their remote/controller.

I don't think this will be a problem at all. Most people won't be playing video games for longer than two hours at a time, five max. A battery life of five hours with out needing a recharge isn't that hard to pull off. Play for a couple of hours go to work/class/etc and you come back it's charged up.

The only problem I would see in this is if there are "hardcore gamers" who play for endless time periods on end, they might have to stop and recharge it during the middle of their gaming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: