Suikoden United and Illusional Kibbutz Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Forgiveness and Atonement
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It doesn't force them to use it's power if you want to get technical. The Rune of Punishment puts itself in positions where it can be used based on it fulfilling its desires. The bearer has the chose whether to use it or not. Either way their lives will constantly be drained until the Rune of Punishment enters its Forgiveness stage. I just found that Lazlo made selfless acts for the sake of others and that is what led him to drive the Rune of Punishment into forgiveness. Everyone else used the Rune of Punishment for a personal agenda nevermine the fact that it may have been the right thing to do.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From my understanding the RUne of Punishment punishes it's user for using the power in aggression. If you endure enough punishment than you switch it from it's punishment phase to it's atonement phase and with it, you gain the only spell that regains you some health.

It may just be one of those things that translates poorly into english.

Basically you endure the punishment until you've atoned for using the rune destructivly, at which point it no longer hurts you. I think that sums it up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Eternal Wind

Silver Wind

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The problem with the non-destructive use theory is that the only known use of the RoP to protect as opposeded to destroy is when Lazle uses it to contain the El-Eal explosion in the ending. My theory is that large uses always drain you, just like any other true rune. Whether its lethal relates to the scale of the use and your experince with the rune. When Lazlo first uses it on a large scale, to knock down the Boss Crab's shielding, he is targeting one opponent using only enough force to weaken its defences. Everyone else is using it to blow away fleets right away. That is why they die. The hero has some experience, is a Tenkai star and has a spirit in the rune protecting him by the time he does anything big with it, at Obel. As for Brandeau, he just got a ship blown out from under him, beaten in a straight-up fight and used some varient of Double-edged Sword to kill the knights. Then he duels the hero and gets hit by Glen and then he dies. Actually, I don't thing any character has been fought that many times in a row since Luca Blight. The forgiveness phase is triggered by forgiving Snowe repeatedly, by Lazlo's refusal to use it unless absolutely neseccessary, by the 108 stars, and probably a little nudging from Leknaat. Most likely, if if Lazlo got trigger-happy with the huge blasts, it would drop back into atonement mode.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm hoping the forgiveness and atonement thing is a mistranslation, but the Rune of Punishment name makes sense. You are punished if you use it. I wonder if the counter rune of RoP is Rune of...say, Enlightment, or something of the sort.
Song Jiang

Liangshan

1368 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

to atone for something you must except the punishment for you actions and once atoned you are forgiven so in a way punishment goes hand in hand with atonement and forgiveness. its sort of the nature of the process to be punished for wrong deeds to reach atonement and forgiveness. but it doesnt explain why lazlo is punished by the rune when it suckes hes life away when he punishes the wicked. its kinda a double edged sword that doesnt make sense. the punisher shouldnt be punishe when he is punishing the wrong.

-IT IS THAT WHICH MAKES US DIFFERENT THAT BRINGS US TOGETHER.-
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: